Old 31-05-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now for the Reverse Side of the Coin

Our Scoundrel Buddy, Dimitri, got us all thinking about our proudest moment.
Here's a flip......what is your most memorable faux pas? It can be what
ever you wish, something you did that no one picked up on but you are still
embarassed to admit or something that you did that EVERYONE picked up and
won't let you live down. Here's mine:

When I was a young married with only one kidlet, we lived in a mobile home
across the street from my in-laws house. Being economical, I made 'burgers'
using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler. All but one fit on the
pint-sized broiler that can be found in most mobiles, so when they were
done, we sat down to eat while the last one was in the broiler.......We
finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go across the street and sit on
the porch with the relatives. Off we went, forgetting about the burger.
We are there for a short time when we see smoke pouring out of the windows
(it was summer and all the windows were open). Rushing back across the
street, we found that the lone turkey burger was now a charred briquet of
unidentifiable etiology. Turning on the fans and opening doors to pull out
the smoke all was well with the world (no damage done, just to the turkey
burger) or so we thought. FBS gets on the phone with grandparents telling
them I burned down the front half of the mobile....they show up thinking
that we need help in fire restoration.....The next day, I get a phone call
from pre-school, seems FBS tells them that I burned down the whole mobile
and we are virtually homeless........That little monster told everyone he
could and the damage got worse with each telling......

Rat-bastid is now 24 and STILL talks about that damnable turkey burger,
sometimes it burned down half or all of Bensalem, or caused massive forest
fires in Southeastern Pennsylvania........it might actually have encroached
upon the whole Eastern Seaboard!!!

But revenge is good.....he has a four year old who for the life of him
'can't' or 'won't' shut up........His father doesn't understand what he did
to deserve this.....I smile and think 'just wait until YOU burn dinner,
smart ass'.....payback is....you know, a bitch.
-ginny

Old 31-05-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:00 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
wrote:

Being economical, I made 'burgers'
using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
doesn't jive.

Old 31-05-2008, 12:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Being economical, I made 'burgers'
using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
doesn't jive.

Ground turkey has been around since mankind discovered 'grinding
meat'.....FBS was hatched Jan of 1984 and he was about three, so 1987 is
approx. but then why am I justifying this to you. It happened, believe it
not.
-g

Old 31-05-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:53:45 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
wrote:

Ground turkey has been around since mankind discovered 'grinding

meat'.....FBS was hatched Jan of 1984 and he was about three, so 1987 is
approx. but then why am I justifying this to you. It happened, believe it
not.
-g

I have a recipe for turkey burgers/patties, in a cookbook that was
published in the 1980s. This particular recipe had chutney in
it..and it was very good. The cookbook was put out by KCBS in San
Francisco.

And I could probably find some other recipes for turkey burgers from
that time as well, if I searched all my cookbooks.

Christine
Old 31-05-2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Being economical, I made 'burgers'
using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
doesn't jive.

But then ... do any time lines dance?

nancy

Old 31-05-2008, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-30, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

But revenge is good.....he has a four year old who for the life of him
'can't' or 'won't' shut up........His father doesn't understand what he did
to deserve this.....I smile and think 'just wait until YOU burn dinner,
smart ass'.....payback is....you know, a bitch.

"I hope our grandsons give their fathers hell!--Can't wait to see it!--"
-- The Other Generation, Flower Drum Song

nb ....sings it daily

Old 31-05-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

so 1987 is
approx. but then why am I justifying this to you.

Whatever..........that's cool........
Old 31-05-2008, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

(snipperoonies)
.......We
finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go across the street and sit on
the porch with the relatives.

Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
can't figure out the "FBS" part G.

Sky, who's curious as ever

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 31-05-2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,

wrote:

Being economical, I made 'burgers'
using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
doesn't jive.

Virginia's been around here a _long_ time, and is not known for lying.
Who the hell are you again?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 31-05-2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-30, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

But revenge is good.....he has a four year old who for the life of him
'can't' or 'won't' shut up........His father doesn't understand what he did
to deserve this.....I smile and think 'just wait until YOU burn dinner,
smart ass'.....payback is....you know, a bitch.

"I hope our grandsons give their fathers hell!--Can't wait to see it!--"
-- The Other Generation, Flower Drum Song

nb ....sings it daily

When your grands are small is the time to get revenge on your children
for being little pills. I used to give all my grands toy musical
instruments that really worked, trumpets, drums, bugles, any thing that
made noise. Remember those toddler "lawn mowers", had the little doodads
inside a dome that went up and down and made a sort of engine noise. I
tried to get a carload deal on those suckers. Our kids got where they
would hide when they saw us coming with big packages for their kids.

Now we get to do it again for the greatgrands, even more fun.

Old 31-05-2008, 01:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nina wrote:

wrote:

Being economical, I made 'burgers'
using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
doesn't jive.

After all, there's a lot of incentive to make up a story about turkey
burgers.... so much glory to be had that way!

Sigh.

Anyway, ground chicken and turkey were not uncommon in any of the
place I lived in the 80s. (But of course, I'm probably lying.)

Ground bird meat wasn't even uncommon in the sixties and seventies
folks. Markets had to get rid of the poultry meat when it was getting
close to throw out time. My kids were born in the early to mid-sixties
and got used to eating ground bird in bird burgers. Just ignore the
idiots that post here.
Old 31-05-2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

(snipperoonies)
.......We
finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go across the street and sit
on
the porch with the relatives.

Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
can't figure out the "FBS" part G.

First Born Son.

nancy

Old 31-05-2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote in message
. ..
"Sky" wrote
Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

(snipperoonies)
.......We
finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go
across the street and sit on the porch with the relatives.

Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from
the context, I can't figure out the "FBS" part G.

First Born Son.

Which is much more polite than the one I was thinking, given
the context she used it... EG

The Ranger

Old 31-05-2008, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sky wrote:

Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
can't figure out the "FBS" part G.

Firstborn son.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Old 31-05-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Ground turkey has been around since mankind discovered 'grinding

meat'.....FBS was hatched Jan of 1984 and he was about three, so
1987 is approx. but then why am I justifying this to you. It
happened, believe it not. -g

I have a recipe for turkey burgers/patties, in a cookbook that was
published in the 1980s. This particular recipe had chutney in
it..and it was very good. The cookbook was put out by KCBS in San
Francisco.

And I could probably find some other recipes for turkey burgers from
that time as well, if I searched all my cookbooks.

Christine

Don't dignify his accusation, Christine. If Ginny says 1987, it's good
enough for me.