Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now for the Reverse Side of the Coin

Our Scoundrel Buddy, Dimitri, got us all thinking about our proudest moment.
Here's a flip......what is your most memorable faux pas? It can be what
ever you wish, something you did that no one picked up on but you are still
embarassed to admit or something that you did that EVERYONE picked up and
won't let you live down. Here's mine:

When I was a young married with only one kidlet, we lived in a mobile home
across the street from my in-laws house. Being economical, I made 'burgers'
using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler. All but one fit on the
pint-sized broiler that can be found in most mobiles, so when they were
done, we sat down to eat while the last one was in the broiler.......We
finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go across the street and sit on
the porch with the relatives. Off we went, forgetting about the burger.
We are there for a short time when we see smoke pouring out of the windows
(it was summer and all the windows were open). Rushing back across the
street, we found that the lone turkey burger was now a charred briquet of
unidentifiable etiology. Turning on the fans and opening doors to pull out
the smoke all was well with the world (no damage done, just to the turkey
burger) or so we thought. FBS gets on the phone with grandparents telling
them I burned down the front half of the mobile....they show up thinking
that we need help in fire restoration.....The next day, I get a phone call
from pre-school, seems FBS tells them that I burned down the whole mobile
and we are virtually homeless........That little monster told everyone he
could and the damage got worse with each telling......

Rat-bastid is now 24 and STILL talks about that damnable turkey burger,
sometimes it burned down half or all of Bensalem, or caused massive forest
fires in Southeastern Pennsylvania........it might actually have encroached
upon the whole Eastern Seaboard!!!

But revenge is good.....he has a four year old who for the life of him
'can't' or 'won't' shut up........His father doesn't understand what he did
to deserve this.....I smile and think 'just wait until YOU burn dinner,
smart ass'.....payback is....you know, a bitch.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:00 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> Being economical, I made 'burgers'
>using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
doesn't jive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:00 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>> Being economical, I made 'burgers'
>>using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

> Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
> burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
> But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
> doesn't jive.

Ground turkey has been around since mankind discovered 'grinding
meat'.....FBS was hatched Jan of 1984 and he was about three, so 1987 is
approx. but then why am I justifying this to you. It happened, believe it
not.
-g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:53:45 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>>>Ground turkey has been around since mankind discovered 'grinding

>meat'.....FBS was hatched Jan of 1984 and he was about three, so 1987 is
>approx. but then why am I justifying this to you. It happened, believe it
>not.
>-g

I have a recipe for turkey burgers/patties, in a cookbook that was
published in the 1980s. This particular recipe had chutney in
it..and it was very good. The cookbook was put out by KCBS in San
Francisco.

And I could probably find some other recipes for turkey burgers from
that time as well, if I searched all my cookbooks.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billy" <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message

> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:00 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>> Being economical, I made 'burgers'
>>using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

> Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
> burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
> But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
> doesn't jive.

But then ... do any time lines dance?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-30, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> But revenge is good.....he has a four year old who for the life of him
> 'can't' or 'won't' shut up........His father doesn't understand what he did
> to deserve this.....I smile and think 'just wait until YOU burn dinner,
> smart ass'.....payback is....you know, a bitch.

"I hope our grandsons give their fathers hell!--Can't wait to see it!--"
-- The Other Generation, Flower Drum Song

nb ....sings it daily

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:53:45 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>so 1987 is
>approx. but then why am I justifying this to you.

Whatever..........that's cool........
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

(snipperoonies)
>.......We
> finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go across the street and sit on
> the porch with the relatives.

Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
can't figure out the "FBS" part <G>.

Sky, who's curious as ever

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:00 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
> > Being economical, I made 'burgers'
> >using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

> Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
> burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
> But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
> doesn't jive.

Virginia's been around here a _long_ time, and is not known for lying.
Who the hell are you again?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-05-30, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:
>
>> But revenge is good.....he has a four year old who for the life of him
>> 'can't' or 'won't' shut up........His father doesn't understand what he did
>> to deserve this.....I smile and think 'just wait until YOU burn dinner,
>> smart ass'.....payback is....you know, a bitch.

> "I hope our grandsons give their fathers hell!--Can't wait to see it!--"
> -- The Other Generation, Flower Drum Song
>
> nb ....sings it daily

When your grands are small is the time to get revenge on your children
for being little pills. I used to give all my grands toy musical
instruments that really worked, trumpets, drums, bugles, any thing that
made noise. Remember those toddler "lawn mowers", had the little doodads
inside a dome that went up and down and made a sort of engine noise. I
tried to get a carload deal on those suckers. Our kids got where they
would hide when they saw us coming with big packages for their kids.

Now we get to do it again for the greatgrands, even more fun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nina wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:49:05 -0400, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:00 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Being economical, I made 'burgers'
>>> using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

>> Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
>> burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
>> But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
>> doesn't jive.

> After all, there's a lot of incentive to make up a story about turkey
> burgers.... so much glory to be had that way!
>
> Sigh.
>
> Anyway, ground chicken and turkey were not uncommon in any of the
> place I lived in the 80s. (But of course, I'm probably lying.)

Ground bird meat wasn't even uncommon in the sixties and seventies
folks. Markets had to get rid of the poultry meat when it was getting
close to throw out time. My kids were born in the early to mid-sixties
and got used to eating ground bird in bird burgers. Just ignore the
idiots that post here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote

> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>

> (snipperoonies)
>>.......We
>> finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go across the street and sit
>> on
>> the porch with the relatives.

> Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
> can't figure out the "FBS" part <G>.

First Born Son.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote in message
. ..
> "Sky" > wrote
>> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>>

>> (snipperoonies)
>>>.......We
>>> finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go
>>> across the street and sit on the porch with the relatives.
>>>

>> Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from
>> the context, I can't figure out the "FBS" part <G>.
>>

> First Born Son.

Which is much more polite than the one I was thinking, given
the context she used it... <EG>

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
> can't figure out the "FBS" part <G>.

Firstborn son.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> >meat'.....FBS was hatched Jan of 1984 and he was about three, so
> >1987 is approx. but then why am I justifying this to you. It
> >happened, believe it not. -g

> I have a recipe for turkey burgers/patties, in a cookbook that was
> published in the 1980s. This particular recipe had chutney in
> it..and it was very good. The cookbook was put out by KCBS in San
> Francisco.
>
> And I could probably find some other recipes for turkey burgers from
> that time as well, if I searched all my cookbooks.
>
> Christine

Don't dignify his accusation, Christine. If Ginny says 1987, it's good
enough for me.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote
>
> > Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> >>

> > (snipperoonies)
> >>.......We
> >> finished eating and hubby and FBS wanted to go across the street and sit
> >> on
> >> the porch with the relatives.

> > Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
> > can't figure out the "FBS" part <G>.

> First Born Son.
>
> nancy

AHA! Thanks so much! Now I understand. Like Ranger, I had other
descriptions in mind <giggle>.

Sky, who loves a laugh, although not at someone's (bad) expense.

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Sky > wrote:
>
> > Alas, I can't think of something to contibute, but from the context, I
> > can't figure out the "FBS" part <G>.

> Firstborn son.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com

Thanks, too, Barb. I don't mind acronyms, and I'll remember this one in
the future (hopefully!)

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

George Shirley wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> > On 2008-05-30, Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:
> >
> >> But revenge is good.....he has a four year old who for the life of him
> >> 'can't' or 'won't' shut up........His father doesn't understand what he did
> >> to deserve this.....I smile and think 'just wait until YOU burn dinner,
> >> smart ass'.....payback is....you know, a bitch.

> > "I hope our grandsons give their fathers hell!--Can't wait to see it!--"
> > -- The Other Generation, Flower Drum Song
> >
> > nb ....sings it daily
> >

> When your grands are small is the time to get revenge on your children
> for being little pills. I used to give all my grands toy musical
> instruments that really worked, trumpets, drums, bugles, any thing that
> made noise. Remember those toddler "lawn mowers", had the little doodads
> inside a dome that went up and down and made a sort of engine noise. I
> tried to get a carload deal on those suckers. Our kids got where they
> would hide when they saw us coming with big packages for their kids.
>
> Now we get to do it again for the greatgrands, even more fun.

OOOOOH, how wicked <VBEG>! I'll have to remember this one when the time
comes for grandkids (NOT anytime soon, hopefully!)

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 May 2008 12:47:50 +1200, Miche >
wrote:

>Who the hell are you again?

Whatever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:00 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>> Being economical, I made 'burgers'
>> using turkey meat and popped them under the broiler.

> Your entire store sounds phony as a three dollar bill. Turkey
> burgers didn't become "fashionable" until the middle/late 90's.
> But..then again...that is just my observation. Your time line just
> doesn't jive.

Hey, you sound as though you're plagiarizing Sheldon.
Knock it off. There's only one and we don't need another.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> When your grands are small is the time to get revenge on your children for
> being little pills. I used to give all my grands toy musical instruments
> that really worked, trumpets, drums, bugles, any thing that made noise.
> Remember those toddler "lawn mowers", had the little doodads inside a dome
> that went up and down and made a sort of engine noise. I tried to get a
> carload deal on those suckers. Our kids got where they would hide when
> they saw us coming with big packages for their kids.
>
> Now we get to do it again for the greatgrands, even more fun.

I did the same thing for a friend's kid. But better yet, when I got to
babysit the kid I coached him to say a very special sentence. He was about
two-and-a-half years old when he and I walked up to his mommy (who was
standing in line at a pharmacy) and he said, "MOMMY, YOU'RE PRETTY! NICE
RACK!"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 30 May 2008 04:21:00p, Virginia Tadrzynski told us...

> Our Scoundrel Buddy, Dimitri, got us all thinking about our proudest
> moment. Here's a flip......what is your most memorable faux pas? It can
> be what ever you wish, something you did that no one picked up on but
> you are still embarassed to admit or something that you did that
> EVERYONE picked up and won't let you live down. Here's mine:

OMG! I doubt anyone here could top that story! And, FWIW, yes ground
turkey has been in the stores for a long time. As most folks here know, I
don't like turkey, but back in the 1980s a friend of mine had me
"convinced" that I would absolutely love turkey burgers cooked on the
grill. Well, I made them and took one bite and have never looked at ground
turkey again. :-)

Mine own little story occurred on Thanksgiving. It was the first
Thanksgiving that my former partner's family and my family got together for
the holiday, and it was hosted at my mother's house. I had volumteered to
bring one of the desserts, and chose a recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake from
an issue of Gourmet Magazine. I baked the cheesecake two days before the
holiday and kept it well chilled in the fridge. Shortly before it was time
for dessert, I place the beauty onto my mother's heirloom cakestand,
unlatched and removed the springform sides, and it looked delectible. It
had a gingersnap crumb crust, and the top was a deep golden pumpkin color
like pumpkin pie. I brought it to the table for cutting, and slid a cake
server under the first wedge that I cut. As I removed the slice, it was
like breaking through a dam. The interior was like a thick liquid and
poured out onto the cakestand and over the edge onto the tablecloth. There
was a tableful of shocked faces, but we quickly cleaned up the mess and
served my mother's dessert.

Back at home a day or two later, my partner (who rarely ventured into the
kitchen except for something to drink) was rummaging around in the fridge
for something, and asked my why I had taken 5 eggs out of the carton and
put them in a bowl!!!

DUH!

I have never baked anything since when I didn't have everything sitting on
the counter mise en place.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 May 2008 01:37:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>As I removed the slice, it was
>like breaking through a dam.

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for the great story...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:53:45 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
> >so 1987 is
> >approx. but then why am I justifying this to you.

> Whatever..........that's cool........

Three dots make an ellipsis. No more. No less.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> About an hour after dinner both mothers burst into the den with a big
> garbage bag laughing and pointing fingers at us. They had found the
> cremated turkey carcass in the trash room. I have never, and never will
> live it down. Ever. Of course my brothers have embellished the story over
> the years... It *was* one of the priciest meals I've ever served

Ah, but I suspect that it brought the families closer. Two moms digging
in the trash to uncover a lie.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > When your grands are small is the time to get revenge on your children for
> > being little pills. I used to give all my grands toy musical instruments
> > that really worked, trumpets, drums, bugles, any thing that made noise.
> > Remember those toddler "lawn mowers", had the little doodads inside a dome
> > that went up and down and made a sort of engine noise. I tried to get a
> > carload deal on those suckers. Our kids got where they would hide when
> > they saw us coming with big packages for their kids.
> >
> > Now we get to do it again for the greatgrands, even more fun.

> I did the same thing for a friend's kid. But better yet, when I got to
> babysit the kid I coached him to say a very special sentence. He was about
> two-and-a-half years old when he and I walked up to his mommy (who was
> standing in line at a pharmacy) and he said, "MOMMY, YOU'RE PRETTY! NICE
> RACK!"
>
> Bob

OOOOH - now that's downright evil (ROTFLOL!!!!) Thanks for the giggle!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Our Scoundrel Buddy, Dimitri, got us all thinking about our proudest moment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Mine own little story occurred on Thanksgiving. It was the first
> Thanksgiving that my former partner's family and my family got together for
> the holiday, and it was hosted at my mother's house. I had volumteered to
> bring one of the desserts, and chose a recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake from
> an issue of Gourmet Magazine. I baked the cheesecake two days before the
> holiday and kept it well chilled in the fridge. Shortly before it was time
> for dessert, I place the beauty onto my mother's heirloom cakestand,
> unlatched and removed the springform sides, and it looked delectible. It
> had a gingersnap crumb crust, and the top was a deep golden pumpkin color
> like pumpkin pie. I brought it to the table for cutting, and slid a cake
> server under the first wedge that I cut. As I removed the slice, it was
> like breaking through a dam. The interior was like a thick liquid and
> poured out onto the cakestand and over the edge onto the tablecloth. There
> was a tableful of shocked faces, but we quickly cleaned up the mess and
> served my mother's dessert.
>
> Back at home a day or two later, my partner (who rarely ventured into the
> kitchen except for something to drink) was rummaging around in the fridge
> for something, and asked my why I had taken 5 eggs out of the carton and
> put them in a bowl!!!

ROFL! What a great visual image that story created.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I was a new bride, we lived near my SIL. Even though she was known
throughout the family as a rotten cook, my new DH convinced me to go
there for Thanksgiving dinner.

When we got to the house there was a weird small coming from the
kitchen. After BIL carved up the bird, SIL announced that she didn't
even have to stuff it because it came already stuffed.

The weird smell was the plastic from the giblet pack melting inside the
turkey.

New DH and I politely picked at our food and stopped for pizza on the
way home.

Even though I divorced her brother 26 years ago, SIL and I are still
friends and every once in a while I remind her of the pre-stuffed turkey
with the weird smell.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in
:

> Rat-bastid is now 24 and STILL talks about that damnable turkey
> burger, sometimes it burned down half or all of Bensalem, or caused
> massive forest fires in Southeastern Pennsylvania........it might
> actually have encroached upon the whole Eastern Seaboard!!!

I remember that...I saw the smoke way up here. I thought the whole
continent was ablaze.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080530-0, 05/30/2008
Tested on: 5/31/2008 12:40:27 AM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:46:27 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>Three dots make an ellipsis. No more. No less.
>
>leo

Show off! All this time I thought three dots made a triangle.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf <.> wrote:

> Show off! All this time I thought three dots made a triangle.

Nah, it's only one dot short of an old R&B group. What's this triangle
you speak of?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 30 May 2008 07:20:54p, Kenneth told us...

> On Sat, 31 May 2008 01:37:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>As I removed the slice, it was like breaking through a dam.

> Hey Wayne,
>
> Thanks for the great story...
>
> All the best,

Thanks, Kenneth...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 30 May 2008 09:19:45p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Mine own little story occurred on Thanksgiving. It was the first
>> Thanksgiving that my former partner's family and my family got together
>> for the holiday, and it was hosted at my mother's house. I had
>> volumteered to bring one of the desserts, and chose a recipe for
>> Pumpkin Cheesecake from an issue of Gourmet Magazine. I baked the
>> cheesecake two days before the holiday and kept it well chilled in the
>> fridge. Shortly before it was time for dessert, I place the beauty
>> onto my mother's heirloom cakestand, unlatched and removed the
>> springform sides, and it looked delectible. It had a gingersnap crumb
>> crust, and the top was a deep golden pumpkin color like pumpkin pie. I
>> brought it to the table for cutting, and slid a cake server under the
>> first wedge that I cut. As I removed the slice, it was like breaking
>> through a dam. The interior was like a thick liquid and poured out
>> onto the cakestand and over the edge onto the tablecloth. There was a
>> tableful of shocked faces, but we quickly cleaned up the mess and
>> served my mother's dessert.
>>
>> Back at home a day or two later, my partner (who rarely ventured into
>> the kitchen except for something to drink) was rummaging around in the
>> fridge for something, and asked my why I had taken 5 eggs out of the
>> carton and put them in a bowl!!!

> ROFL! What a great visual image that story created.

I can laugh with you now, but when it happened I was mortified.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Eggs on top, canned goods on the bottom...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 30 May 2008 10:44:12p, sf told us...

> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:46:27 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> > wrote:
>
>>Three dots make an ellipsis. No more. No less.
>>
>>leo

> Show off! All this time I thought three dots made a triangle.

Only if you connect them! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

>> meat'.....FBS was hatched Jan of 1984 and he was about three, so
>> 1987 is approx. but then why am I justifying this to you. It
>> happened, believe it not.
>> -g
>>

> I have a recipe for turkey burgers/patties, in a cookbook that was
> published in the 1980s. This particular recipe had chutney in
> it..and it was very good. The cookbook was put out by KCBS in San
> Francisco.
>
> And I could probably find some other recipes for turkey burgers from
> that time as well, if I searched all my cookbooks.
>
> Christine

Yep. I remember making turkey burgers using recipes from 'Cooking Light'
magazine in the mid-1980's. It's certainly not a new concept, nor one that
just popped up in 90's. IIRC, it was in the 90's people started realizing
ground turkey contained so much fat it wasn't the "healthful" thing
originally thought, and by then the price was on par with ground beef so
there was no reason (economically) to buy it instead.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "jmcquown" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Yep. I remember making turkey burgers using recipes from 'Cooking
>> Light' magazine in the mid-1980's. It's certainly not a new concept,

> I've just never been able to get into the ground turkey thing. Yeah
> I've made it and had it other people's homes but it's something I
> adopt an I can take it or leave it attitude. Now, a big, juicy
> chuckburger will get me in the groove
>
> Michael

You've got that right! I made some nice juicy definitely-not-turkey burgers
a few nights ago. The ground turkey "recipes" (including burgers) all had a
bunch of stuff added because by itself ground turkey is tasteless. A good
beef burger only needs salt & pepper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
> On Fri 30 May 2008 10:44:12p, sf told us...
>
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:46:27 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Three dots make an ellipsis. No more. No less.
>>>
>>>leo

>> Show off! All this time I thought three dots made a triangle.
>>

> Only if you connect them! :-)

y = kx + d
Lot's of dots and no triangle ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> When your grands are small is the time to get revenge on your children
>> for
>> being little pills. I used to give all my grands toy musical instruments
>> that really worked, trumpets, drums, bugles, any thing that made noise.
>> Remember those toddler "lawn mowers", had the little doodads inside a
>> dome
>> that went up and down and made a sort of engine noise. I tried to get a
>> carload deal on those suckers. Our kids got where they would hide when
>> they saw us coming with big packages for their kids.
>>
>> Now we get to do it again for the greatgrands, even more fun.

> I did the same thing for a friend's kid. But better yet, when I got to
> babysit the kid I coached him to say a very special sentence. He was about
> two-and-a-half years old when he and I walked up to his mommy (who was
> standing in line at a pharmacy) and he said, "MOMMY, YOU'RE PRETTY! NICE
> RACK!"
>
> Bob

Gawd! You're just evil. ROTFLMAO
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 30 May 2008 04:21:00p, Virginia Tadrzynski told us...
>
>> Our Scoundrel Buddy, Dimitri, got us all thinking about our proudest
>> moment. Here's a flip......what is your most memorable faux pas? It can
>> be what ever you wish, something you did that no one picked up on but
>> you are still embarassed to admit or something that you did that
>> EVERYONE picked up and won't let you live down. Here's mine:

> OMG! I doubt anyone here could top that story! And, FWIW, yes ground
> turkey has been in the stores for a long time. As most folks here know, I
> don't like turkey, but back in the 1980s a friend of mine had me
> "convinced" that I would absolutely love turkey burgers cooked on the
> grill. Well, I made them and took one bite and have never looked at ground
> turkey again. :-)
>
> Mine own little story occurred on Thanksgiving. It was the first
> Thanksgiving that my former partner's family and my family got together for
> the holiday, and it was hosted at my mother's house. I had volumteered to
> bring one of the desserts, and chose a recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake from
> an issue of Gourmet Magazine. I baked the cheesecake two days before the
> holiday and kept it well chilled in the fridge. Shortly before it was time
> for dessert, I place the beauty onto my mother's heirloom cakestand,
> unlatched and removed the springform sides, and it looked delectible. It
> had a gingersnap crumb crust, and the top was a deep golden pumpkin color
> like pumpkin pie. I brought it to the table for cutting, and slid a cake
> server under the first wedge that I cut. As I removed the slice, it was
> like breaking through a dam. The interior was like a thick liquid and
> poured out onto the cakestand and over the edge onto the tablecloth. There
> was a tableful of shocked faces, but we quickly cleaned up the mess and
> served my mother's dessert.
>
> Back at home a day or two later, my partner (who rarely ventured into the
> kitchen except for something to drink) was rummaging around in the fridge
> for something, and asked my why I had taken 5 eggs out of the carton and
> put them in a bowl!!!
>
> DUH!
>
> I have never baked anything since when I didn't have everything sitting on
> the counter mise en place.

Me too, don't remember what I left out of the recipe but ended up with a
birthday cake for my wife that was less than two inches tall. Like you I
get everything out and on the counter then mix exactly according to the
directions. Still have to be careful or I will just plain overlook
something critical.