Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now for the Reverse Side of the Coin

On Fri 30 May 2008 04:21:00p, Virginia Tadrzynski told us...

> Our Scoundrel Buddy, Dimitri, got us all thinking about our proudest
> moment. Here's a flip......what is your most memorable faux pas? It can
> be what ever you wish, something you did that no one picked up on but
> you are still embarassed to admit or something that you did that
> EVERYONE picked up and won't let you live down. Here's mine:

OMG! I doubt anyone here could top that story! And, FWIW, yes ground
turkey has been in the stores for a long time. As most folks here know, I
don't like turkey, but back in the 1980s a friend of mine had me
"convinced" that I would absolutely love turkey burgers cooked on the
grill. Well, I made them and took one bite and have never looked at ground
turkey again. :-)

Mine own little story occurred on Thanksgiving. It was the first
Thanksgiving that my former partner's family and my family got together for
the holiday, and it was hosted at my mother's house. I had volumteered to
bring one of the desserts, and chose a recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake from
an issue of Gourmet Magazine. I baked the cheesecake two days before the
holiday and kept it well chilled in the fridge. Shortly before it was time
for dessert, I place the beauty onto my mother's heirloom cakestand,
unlatched and removed the springform sides, and it looked delectible. It
had a gingersnap crumb crust, and the top was a deep golden pumpkin color
like pumpkin pie. I brought it to the table for cutting, and slid a cake
server under the first wedge that I cut. As I removed the slice, it was
like breaking through a dam. The interior was like a thick liquid and
poured out onto the cakestand and over the edge onto the tablecloth. There
was a tableful of shocked faces, but we quickly cleaned up the mess and
served my mother's dessert.

Back at home a day or two later, my partner (who rarely ventured into the
kitchen except for something to drink) was rummaging around in the fridge
for something, and asked my why I had taken 5 eggs out of the carton and
put them in a bowl!!!

DUH!

I have never baked anything since when I didn't have everything sitting on
the counter mise en place.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)