Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ?Poblano!

On 05/31/2013 07:18 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
Todd wrote:
On 05/28/2013 04:07 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
My wife is Thai. We eat chiles of every variety. Poblanos are mostly
pan-fried, stuffed with cheese, pork, shrimp or combinations.

Hi Nick,

Do you stuff them first? Or, do you fry them let them
cool, and then stuff them?

And, do you skin them?

Many thanks,

Hi Todd. Stuff, then fry. Tonight, I had some in a chili sauce. We don't
skin them.

Hi Nick,

You are killing me here! STUFF WITH WHAT ?????

I was think of stuffing them with cheese, coating
them with eggs and pecan meal, then frying. But
I have no idea what I am doing!

Elucidate!

-T

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
On 05/28/2013 04:07 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
My wife is Thai. We eat chiles of every variety. Poblanos are mostly
pan-fried, stuffed with cheese, pork, shrimp or combinations.

Hi Nick,

Do you stuff them first? Or, do you fry them let them
cool, and then stuff them?

And, do you skin them?

Many thanks,

Hi Todd. Stuff, then fry. Tonight, I had some in a chili sauce. We
don't skin them.

Hi Nick,

You are killing me here! STUFF WITH WHAT ?????

Sometimes shrimp and ground pork, sometimes cheese.

I was think of stuffing them with cheese, coating
them with eggs and pecan meal, then frying. But
I have no idea what I am doing!

Elucidate!

That sounds good.

Hallucinate!

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

Thank you!

In other words, time to take some risks!

-T
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 05/27/2013 08:14 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Todd;1836838 Wrote:
On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:-
Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.
-

Hi Bigwheel,

I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
to hot spices.

When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
"I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

-T

Well she sounds very nice too. Glad she has a sense of humor. Trophies
are nice. I got one around here somewhere myself..lol. She aint big on
hot stuff either.

Hi Bigwheel,

Speaking of trophy wives, she called on the cell phone after I'd
finished my rounds and was about to start errands, and asked me if
I was anywhere near one of the fishing ponds. To shorten
the conversation and protect my friends from a Diabetic coma,
she basically said you'd had a hard day, why don't you stop
by one of the ponds and fish for 30 minutes to blow off steam.
Wow! I did and what excellent stress release and it gets my
exercise in. (I hate exercise. But, tell me there are
trout over that mountain, stick a fishing pole in my hand
and ... So, I fish instead of exercise.)

Anyway, she got an extra hug or two when I got home. And
I threatened to brag about her.

Fishing is great for up Diabetics. Gets our exercise in,
lowers our stress, etc.. Once the first fish strikes, there
is a whole attitude adjustment. Your feet no longer hurt,
your back no longer hurts, you can't figure out why you
let that customer get to you, its not too hot, its not
too cold, the flies no longer buzz you, yada, yada, yada.

My dh fishes 4 to 5 times a week, but he doesn't eat them lately...strictly
catch and release with him. I think he just doesn't want to clean them
anymore. He did bring home a nice 3 1/2 pound black bass a few weeks ago and
did eat it. :-)

Cheri

Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 05/29/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Todd;1837332 Wrote:
On 05/28/2013 12:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
W. Baker;1836282 Wrote:-
Todd lid wrote:
: Hi All,

: I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
: weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
: Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
: thinking of growing them this year.)

: While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
: had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
: said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

: As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
: through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

: What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
: the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

: Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

: Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
: eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

: Many thanks,
: -T

That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone
when

they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame
and

then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind
the
skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave

little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those
scrambled

eggs.

Wendy-

Hey Wendy..thanks for your input on the peppers. I was taught to do
the
red ones..Anchos in a blender with cold water. Hot water makes them
turn
orange for some reason..but cold water make them come out bright red
and
ready to dump on any kind of Mexican looking food group needing a
zippy
red chile sauce. Never did try pulverizing many green ones but that
should work too.-

How does one turn a Poblano into a Ancho. I though Anchos were just
dried Poblanos?

Have you ever done this with a Chimayo (New Mexico Red) Pepper?

Anchos are the ripe mature version of Pablanos..dryness level varies.
Most times closer to leathery but for making powders they can be laid on
the window sill for a few days to crunch up a bit. Chimayos tend to be
pretty hot or at least the ones I have run into seem so. Would not take
much of the powder to light up a person.

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

If I manage to successfully grow Poblanos (I have a black thumb),
I think I will try leaving some on the vine to turn red.

I have a quart container of Chimayo powder. The older it gets the
less fire. Seems to retain the flavor. Still too hot for
the Mrs..

-T
Guess nearly all the powders lose potency over time. Wally World usually has a fair selection of dried whole peppers in cellophane wrappers usually Anchos..Chimayos and Cascabels. Pendery's in Fort Worth has some of the best and freshest of any chile/chili powders..whole pods and other related spices a person might want.

Chile Peppers, Spices, Explore Our Incredible Variety of Chili Pepper Products

Last edited by bigwheel : 01-06-2013 at 05:55 PM

Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd;1836838 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Cheri,

The community ponds all have kids fishing in them, so
no way I am not releasing. There is a wild stream I sometimes
get to that is done with run off, if they are large, I will
keep and eat.

-T
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:42:16 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 05/27/2013 06:37 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I can no longer eat hot jalepenos

Old trick. If the heat gets to you, rinse your mouth out
with a handful of salt.

The best way to kill the heat from a pepper is with pineappel.
Discovered this while eating in Thailand.
Old 20-06-2013, 06:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article om,
Janet Wilder wrote:

On 5/27/2013 2:43 AM, Todd wrote:
On 05/26/2013 05:44 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.
You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

Recipe!

* Exported from MasterCook *

hatch green chile sauce

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chopped roasted mild green chile -- preferably
new mexican or anaheim, fresh or frozen
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander

in a heavy saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. add the onion and
sauté until well softened, about 5 minutes. stir in the garlic and
sauté for an additional minute, then add the flour and continue cooking
for another 1 or 2 minutes. mix in the chile. pour in the stock and
add the seasonings. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat to a
low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until thickened but still very
pourable.

Cuisine:
"Mexican"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
serve warm with enchiladas or other dishes. the sauce keeps
refrigerated, for about 5 days and freezes well.

Enchiladas (Take 2)

Authentic Enchiladas Verdes

Recipe makes 4 servings

Ingredients

€ 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
€ 2 cups chicken broth
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 2 teaspoons salt
€ 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
(green tomatoes can be substituted)
€ 5 serrano peppers
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 1 pinch salt
€ 12 corn tortillas
€ 1/4 cup vegetable oil
€ 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
€ 1/2 white onion, chopped
€ 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one
quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil,
and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth, set chicken aside to cool,
and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken
with your hands.

2. Place tomatillos and serrano chiles in a pot with water, enough to
cover them. Bring to boil, and continue boiling until tomatillos turn a
different shade of green (from bright green to a dull, army green).
Strain tomatillos and chiles, and place in a blender with another
quarter piece of onion, 1 clove garlic, and a pinch of salt. Pour in
reserved chicken broth, so that liquid just covers the veggies in the
blender by about an inch. Blend all ingredients until they are
completely pureed. Pour salsa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low
boil.

3. Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry
tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel
afterwards to soak some of the oil. Finally, dip slightly fried
tortillas in low-boiling green salsa, until tortillas become soft again.
Place on plates, 3 per person.

4. Fill or top tortillas with shredded chicken, then extra green
sauce. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Poblano peppers zxcvbob General Cooking 3 09-12-2013 06:10 AM
Poblano peppers Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 0 26-02-2013 05:05 PM
Poblano harvest is in Paul M. Cook General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 02:22 AM
Mole Poblano Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2006 04:37 AM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM