Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ¡Poblano!

Hi All,

I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
thinking of growing them this year.)

While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

Many thanks,
-T
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
thinking of growing them this year.)

While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

Many thanks,
-T
Several ways to do it. Charred and blistered on an open flame works well such as with gas bbq grill then throw them in a paper sack and seal them up right quick. After a bit they start steaming themselves the skin gets slimey and the pepper gets slimey and it peels off sorta..lol. Same trick can be done with a propane hand torch. Here is link showing how to do it in an electric oven. Now once they turn red they turn themselves into Ancho's. What color is yours? They are wonderful as a topping for baked potatoes. Not that folks in this section seem to be able to eat such stuff. Throw some on your burger or sandwich. Very good like that too. Indispensable for good cheesy squash casseroles..homininy casseroles..green chili..green enchiladas..stews etc etc. Might be good with chocolate cake..just aint tried it..lol.

Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers

Last edited by bigwheel : 23-05-2013 at 10:49 PM
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
: weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
: Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
: thinking of growing them this year.)

: While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
: had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
: said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

: As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
: through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

: What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
: the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

: Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

: Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
: eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

: Many thanks,
: -T

That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone when
they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame and
then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind the
skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave a
little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those scrambled
eggs.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/23/2013 02:56 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
> : weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
> : Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
> : thinking of growing them this year.)
>
> : While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
> : had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
> : said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.
>
> : As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
> : through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)
>
> : What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
> : the skins? Do they need to be burned off?
>
> : Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?
>
> : Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
> : eggs. Said they were delicious that way.
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
>
> That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone when
> they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame and
> then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
> then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind the
> skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
> rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
> eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave a
> little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those scrambled
> eggs.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/23/2013 02:46 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1836224 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
>> weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
>> Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
>> thinking of growing them this year.)
>>
>> While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
>> had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
>> said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.
>>
>> As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
>> through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)
>>
>> What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
>> the skins? Do they need to be burned off?
>>
>> Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?
>>
>> Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
>> eggs. Said they were delicious that way.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Several ways to do it. Charred and blistered on an open flame works well
> such as with gas bbq grill then throw them in a paper sack and seal them
> up right quick. After a bit they start steaming themselves the skin gets
> slimey and the pepper gets slimey and it peels off sorta..lol. Same
> trick can be done with a propane hand torch. Here is link showing how to
> do it in an electric oven. Now once they turn red they turn themselves
> into Ancho's. What color is yours? They are wonderful as a topping for
> baked potatoes. Not that folks in this section seem to be able to eat
> such stuff. Throw some on your burger or sandwich. Very good like that
> too. Indispensable for good cheesy squash casseroles..homininy
> casseroles..green chili..green enchiladas..stews etc etc. Might be good
> with chocolate cake..just aint tried it..lol.
>
> 'Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers' (http://tinyurl.com/odetagm)

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

My Poblanos are shiny dark green. They have that look and feel
when you hold them in your hand of exciting things to come that only
a cook understands.

My wife is very sensitive to hot pepper, but if fine with Ancho,
so this sound like a perfect match up.

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:36:08 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 05/23/2013 02:56 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Todd > wrote:
>> : Hi All,
>>
>> : I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
>> : weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
>> : Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
>> : thinking of growing them this year.)
>>
>> : While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
>> : had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
>> : said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.
>>
>> : As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
>> : through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)
>>
>> : What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
>> : the skins? Do they need to be burned off?
>>
>> : Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?
>>
>> : Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
>> : eggs. Said they were delicious that way.
>>
>> : Many thanks,
>> : -T
>>
>> That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone when
>> they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame and
>> then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
>> then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind the
>> skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
>> rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
>> eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave a
>> little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those scrambled
>> eggs.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

>Hi Wendy,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
>is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
>an electric stove?
>
>-T

Put the oven rack on the top slot, turn the oven to broil and place
the peppers on a sheet of aluminum foil. Watch closely doesn't take
long.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/24/2013 12:10 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:36:08 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> On 05/23/2013 02:56 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> Todd > wrote:
>>> : Hi All,
>>>
>>> : I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
>>> : weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
>>> : Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
>>> : thinking of growing them this year.)
>>>
>>> : While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
>>> : had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
>>> : said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.
>>>
>>> : As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
>>> : through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)
>>>
>>> : What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
>>> : the skins? Do they need to be burned off?
>>>
>>> : Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?
>>>
>>> : Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
>>> : eggs. Said they were delicious that way.
>>>
>>> : Many thanks,
>>> : -T
>>>
>>> That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone when
>>> they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame and
>>> then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
>>> then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind the
>>> skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
>>> rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
>>> eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave a
>>> little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those scrambled
>>> eggs.
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> Hi Wendy,
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
>> is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
>> an electric stove?
>>
>> -T

> Put the oven rack on the top slot, turn the oven to broil and place
> the peppers on a sheet of aluminum foil. Watch closely doesn't take
> long.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>Thank you!
>
>Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.
Senior Member

Todd;1836224 Wrote:
[...]

'Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers' (Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers)

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

My Poblanos are shiny dark green. They have that look and feel
when you hold them in your hand of exciting things to come that only
a cook understands.

My wife is very sensitive to hot pepper, but if fine with Ancho,
so this sound like a perfect match up.

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T
Sounds like you got some good peppers. There are directions in the link for charring them in an electric oven on broil sitting on a cookie sheet seems like. Are you saying you only have the cook top maybe? That could get a bit messy. If all else fails head to Wally World and snag a propane braising torch. Thats how Wolfgang Puck does it..most likely..lol. Mama should not get lit up too bad..just use the peppers sparingly till you get a handle on the heat levels. About the only time they make me break a sweat is putting a whole split one on a burger. Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

> Are you living in an assisted living facility?
>
> You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/24/2013 09:35 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

> Are you living in an assisted living facility?
>
> You can also use a toaster oven.

Hi Opple0påad,

:-)

Combustion component and burning dust give my wife
pretty bad asthma. So, no open flames or ovens
to burn dust. She has a hard enough time with me
burning butter.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 08:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

>> Are you living in an assisted living facility?
>>
>> You can also use a toaster oven.
>>

> I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
> into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Do I even need them skinned?

> I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
> chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

Thank you!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> [...]
>> so this sound like a perfect match up.
>>
>> Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
>> is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
>> an electric stove?
>>
>> -T

> Sounds like you got some good peppers. There are directions in the link
> for charring them in an electric oven on broil sitting on a cookie sheet
> seems like. Are you saying you only have the cook top maybe? That could
> get a bit messy. If all else fails head to Wally World and snag a
> propane braising torch. Thats how Wolfgang Puck does it..most
> likely..lol. Mama should not get lit up too bad..just use the peppers
> sparingly till you get a handle on the heat levels. About the only time
> they make me break a sweat is putting a whole split one on a burger.
> Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.

"propane braising torch": interesting. I wonder if ...

A customer told me to soak Jalapenos in milk for 10 minutes to
rid the fire. Maybe for a "girly burger"?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: >
[...]

Don'tknow about that name. Most of the hot pepper eaters I know are
women. Don't sell us females short and use that propane torch outside!

Wendy-who uses anchos in soups to given them a gentle pick-up

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2013 12:27 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/25/2013 08:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Are you living in an assisted living facility?
>>>
>>> You can also use a toaster oven.
>>>

>> I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
>> into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

> In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
> the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

> Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 01:42 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 12:27 PM, Todd wrote:

>>> I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
>>> into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

>> In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
>> the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

> Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
> miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?
>
>> Do I even need them skinned?

> Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

Hi Janet,

Something went wrong. I cored it, cut it in half, pulled
the seeds out, dunked the two halves into boiling salted water
for three minutes, then stuck them in freezing cold water.

1) the skins did not come off

2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.

What did I do wrong?

-T

chili rellenos sound so good too!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.

Hi Bigwheel,

I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
to hot spices.

When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
"I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 12:27 PM, Todd wrote:

> >> I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put
> >> them into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

> > In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
> > the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

> Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
> miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?
>
> > Do I even need them skinned?

> Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/25/2013 01:42 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
>>> the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

>> Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
>> miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?
>>
>>> Do I even need them skinned?

>> Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

> Hi Janet,
>
> Something went wrong. I cored it, cut it in half, pulled
> the seeds out, dunked the two halves into boiling salted water
> for three minutes, then stuck them in freezing cold water.
>
> 1) the skins did not come off
>
> 2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
> No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.
>
> What did I do wrong?
>
> -T
>
> chili rellenos sound so good too!

I would have dunked the whole pepper before cutting in boiling water for
about 5 or 6 minutes. I've done this with bell peppers I wanted to cut
up and freeze for later use.

The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
bag as we discussed before.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:

> 2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
> No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.

Peppers are like that. Some are hotter than others even within the
exact same variety and size pepper. You can't tell until you eat it.

There is something called the Scovill Scale that rates the hotness of
peppers. Google for it. It will help you to find pepper with less heat.

I don't do hot stuff either and I find I can handle poblanos and
Anaheims fairly well. I also can deal with mild Hatch green chilis.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Senior Member

Todd;1836224 Wrote:-
[...]

I think you need to tell that sissy girly girl to man up a little..lol. Never heard of the milk deal but should work. The capsicum is fat soluble and milk has a bunch of that..dont use the low fat milk..lol. That is why when you get a good mouth scald water do not work too well to quench the fire. Milk and butter help. Some highly smart Aggies at A&M come up with a heatless Jap made especially for heat sensitive yankees who buy their mild Picante sauce. Its called a TAM. You might could find those at a well stocked yup fruit stand or whatever. The normal Japs we get around here aint hot enough to worry about. Clean out the seeds and scrape the veins they are about like a bell pepper. It takes somebody knowing what they are doing to make one hot enough to worry about. I am waiting for the Aggies to come up with a heatless Hab. Those are packed with way more flavor than a jap. Just got to pay the price to taste it. lol
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 12:15 PM, bigwheel wrote:

> [...]
>> seems like. Are you saying you only have the cook top maybe? That
>> could
>> get a bit messy. If all else fails head to Wally World and snag a
>> propane braising torch. Thats how Wolfgang Puck does it..most
>> likely..lol. Mama should not get lit up too bad..just use the peppers
>> sparingly till you get a handle on the heat levels. About the only
>> time
>> they make me break a sweat is putting a whole split one on a burger.
>> Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.-
>>
>> Hi Bigwheel,
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> "propane braising torch": interesting. I wonder if ...
>>
>> A customer told me to soak Jalapenos in milk for 10 minutes to
>> rid the fire. Maybe for a "girly burger"?
>>
>> -T

> I think you need to tell that sissy girly girl to man up a little..lol.

She says "truly funny dude!" She is still laughing!

> Never heard of the milk deal but should work. The capsicum is fat
> soluble and milk has a bunch of that..dont use the low fat milk..lol.
> That is why when you get a good mouth scald water do not work too well
> to quench the fire. Milk and butter help. Some highly smart Aggies at
> A&M come up with a heatless Jap made especially for heat sensitive
> yankees who buy their mild Picante sauce. Its called a TAM. You might
> could find those at a well stocked yup fruit stand or whatever. The
> normal Japs we get around here aint hot enough to worry about. Clean out
> the seeds and scrape the veins they are about like a bell pepper. It
> takes somebody knowing what they are doing to make one hot enough to
> worry about. I am waiting for the Aggies to come up with a heatless Hab.
> Those are packed with way more flavor than a jap. Just got to pay the
> price to taste it. lol

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

I was trying to figure out whether Poblanos are worth planting. We
are not suppose to plant till the second week in June, so I got a
little time.

A heatless Hab. Now that would be something! :-)

-T

And the first/trophy is still chuckling in the background.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 09:05 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:

>>> Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
>>> miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

>>> Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

>> Hi Janet,
>>
>> Something went wrong. I cored it, cut it in half, pulled
>> the seeds out, dunked the two halves into boiling salted water
>> for three minutes, then stuck them in freezing cold water.
>>
>> 1) the skins did not come off
>>
>> 2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
>> No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.
>>
>> What did I do wrong?
>>
>> -T
>>
>> chili rellenos sound so good too!
>>

> I would have dunked the whole pepper before cutting in boiling water for
> about 5 or 6 minutes. I've done this with bell peppers I wanted to cut
> up and freeze for later use.

That is what I get for looking it up on the web, instead of
asking here. I underblanched. (You realize I actually
"undercooked" something. Didn't think it possible.)

> The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
> bag as we discussed before.

No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
(asthma).

Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 09:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:
>
>> 2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
>> No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.

> Peppers are like that. Some are hotter than others even within the
> exact same variety and size pepper. You can't tell until you eat it.
>
> There is something called the Scovill Scale that rates the hotness of
> peppers. Google for it. It will help you to find pepper with less heat.
>
> I don't do hot stuff either and I find I can handle poblanos and
> Anaheims fairly well. I also can deal with mild Hatch green chilis.

Hi Janet,

Thank you!

I am going to ask the guys in the market how to pick a hot Poblano.

You make a good point about the hotness. The local CSA farm has
a pepper, who's name I can not recall, that is bright red. Tastes
like a red bell pepper. Unless it has stayed on the vine for a while.
Then, it is some kind of hot. And, you can't tell them apart. The
are exactly the same size and color. Not even the folks at the farm
can tell them apart. (They warned me.)

I bought four of them last year. Three were sweet. The forth
and last one, oh my, oh my! I thought my head was going to come
off! I had gotten pretty careless by the forth one too.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 08:15 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>>> In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
>>> the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

>> Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
>> miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?
>>
>>> Do I even need them skinned?

>> Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

> I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)

Okay guys, I don't know what I am doing. Why skin them? Texture?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/26/2013 4:48 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/25/2013 09:05 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Hi Janet,
>>>
>>> Something went wrong. I cored it, cut it in half, pulled
>>> the seeds out, dunked the two halves into boiling salted water
>>> for three minutes, then stuck them in freezing cold water.
>>>
>>> 1) the skins did not come off
>>>
>>> 2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
>>> No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.
>>>
>>> What did I do wrong?
>>>
>>> -T
>>>
>>> chili rellenos sound so good too!
>>>

>> I would have dunked the whole pepper before cutting in boiling water for
>> about 5 or 6 minutes. I've done this with bell peppers I wanted to cut
>> up and freeze for later use.

> That is what I get for looking it up on the web, instead of
> asking here. I underblanched. (You realize I actually
> "undercooked" something. Didn't think it possible.)

LOL!

>> The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
>> bag as we discussed before.

> No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
> (asthma).
>
> Thank you!
>
> -T

Does your Trophy Wife ever go out while you stay at home? That might be
a good time to open all the windows, turn on all the vent fans and char
a couple of peppers. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/26/2013 4:56 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/25/2013 08:15 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>>> Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
>>> miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

>>> Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

>> I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)
>>

> Okay guys, I don't know what I am doing. Why skin them? Texture?
> Inquiring minds want to know!

personally, I think they just taste better skinned.
Traditionally, every Mexican cook book and every local friend of Mexican
heritage skins their big peppers. The little ones, like jalapenos and
habaneros are not skinned, just diced (wearing disposable gloves if you
know what's best for your)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:25:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

>> Are you living in an assisted living facility?
>>
>> You can also use a toaster oven.
>>

>I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
>into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.
>

>I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
>chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

Ever have Jalapeno - stuffed with cream cheese - breaded - deep fried?

Made fresh this is an excellent treat, appetizer, side dish.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 26 May 2013 14:45:33 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>Thank you!
>
>I was trying to figure out whether Poblanos are worth planting. We
>are not suppose to plant till the second week in June, so I got a
>little time.
>
>A heatless Hab. Now that would be something! :-)
>
>-T
>
>And the first/trophy is still chuckling in the background.

Hot peppers of any kind do really well growing in bucket gardens if
people are limited for space. Try to use at least a five gallon
bucket per plant.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 05:54 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2013 14:45:33 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> I was trying to figure out whether Poblanos are worth planting. We
>> are not suppose to plant till the second week in June, so I got a
>> little time.
>>
>> A heatless Hab. Now that would be something! :-)
>>
>> -T
>>
>> And the first/trophy is still chuckling in the background.

> Hot peppers of any kind do really well growing in bucket gardens if
> people are limited for space. Try to use at least a five gallon
> bucket per plant.

Thank you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 03:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
>>> bag as we discussed before.

>> No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
>> (asthma).
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> -T

> Does your Trophy Wife ever go out while you stay at home? That might be
> a good time to open all the windows, turn on all the vent fans and char
> a couple of peppers. :-)

Hi Janet,

Not really. Her allergies pretty much precludes that. She takes
care of the home and the administrative part of our home based
business. (Our customers love her and complain if they get me
on the phone instead of her. She is very sweet and compassionate
to our customers.)

I wonder if there is a way to blanch something incorrectly
and wind up burning it?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 03:30 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/26/2013 4:56 PM, Todd wrote:

>>> I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)
>>>

>> Okay guys, I don't know what I am doing. Why skin them? Texture?
>> Inquiring minds want to know!

> personally, I think they just taste better skinned.
> Traditionally, every Mexican cook book and every local friend of Mexican
> heritage skins their big peppers. The little ones, like jalapenos and
> habaneros are not skinned, just diced (wearing disposable gloves if you
> know what's best for your)

Hi Janet,

Exactly the information I am after. Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 05:44 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
>> I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
>> >chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

> You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

Recipe!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/26/2013 7:44 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:25:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:

>>> Are you living in an assisted living facility?
>>>
>>> You can also use a toaster oven.
>>>

>> I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
>> into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.
>>

>> I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
>> chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

> You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

I use the low carb, small tortillas for enchiladas.

> Ever have Jalapeno - stuffed with cream cheese - breaded - deep fried?
>
> Made fresh this is an excellent treat, appetizer, side dish.

Jalapeno poppers. First time I had them was about 15 years ago in New
Mexico. They are very popular appetizers in the chain restaurants.

I can no longer eat hot jalepenos and we do try to avoid anything
breaded because of the carbs, but if your meal plan can handle the
carbs, those poppers are good.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/27/2013 2:40 AM, Todd wrote:

>>> No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
>>> (asthma).
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> -T

>> Does your Trophy Wife ever go out while you stay at home? That might be
>> a good time to open all the windows, turn on all the vent fans and char
>> a couple of peppers. :-)

> Hi Janet,
>
> Not really. Her allergies pretty much precludes that. She takes
> care of the home and the administrative part of our home based
> business. (Our customers love her and complain if they get me
> on the phone instead of her. She is very sweet and compassionate
> to our customers.)
>
> I wonder if there is a way to blanch something incorrectly
> and wind up burning it?
>
> -T

Can you use a gas grill? WalMart and other discount stores sell small,
portable gas grills for under $30. They use propane cylinders that are
pretty reasonable.

We've had these little grills for years. They work every bit as well as
the big ones. We travel a lot in RVs and we used them to grill chicken
or steak for dinner so we don't have to eat out.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/27/2013 2:43 AM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/26/2013 05:44 PM, Opple0påad wrote:
>>> I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little

>> You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

> Recipe!

* Exported from MasterCook *

hatch green chile sauce

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chopped roasted mild green chile -- preferably
new mexican or anaheim, fresh or frozen
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander

in a heavy saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. add the onion and
sauté until well softened, about 5 minutes. stir in the garlic and
sauté for an additional minute, then add the flour and continue cooking
for another 1 or 2 minutes. mix in the chile. pour in the stock and
add the seasonings. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat to a
low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until thickened but still very
pourable.

Cuisine:
"Mexican"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
serve warm with enchiladas or other dishes. the sauce keeps
refrigerated, for about 5 days and freezes well.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/27/2013 06:42 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

>> Recipe!

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> hatch green chile sauce

> 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 1 large onion -- chopped
> 3 cloves garlic -- minced
> 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> 2 cups chopped roasted mild green chile -- preferably
> new mexican or anaheim, fresh or frozen
> 2 cups chicken stock
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon ground coriander
>
> in a heavy saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. add the onion and
> sauté until well softened, about 5 minutes. stir in the garlic and
> sauté for an additional minute, then add the flour and continue cooking
> for another 1 or 2 minutes. mix in the chile. pour in the stock and
> add the seasonings. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat to a
> low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until thickened but still very
> pourable.
>
> Cuisine:
> "Mexican"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> NOTES :
> serve warm with enchiladas or other dishes. the sauce keeps
> refrigerated, for about 5 days and freezes well.

Thank you!

Senior Member

Todd;1836224 Wrote:-
[...]

They are mighty tasty and high priced to buy them in the store. Couldnt be any harder to grow than bell peppers and or tomatoes. They bound to tend to like nice hot weather. Now where a person can get the seedlings I aint sure. I dont recall seeing any for sale around here. Might have to sprout the seeds and go from there.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.

Hi Bigwheel,

I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
to hot spices.

When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
"I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

-T
Well she sounds very nice too. Glad she has a sense of humor. Trophies are nice. I got one around here somewhere myself..lol. She aint big on hot stuff either.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/27/2013 06:35 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> As you know I lived in an RV for 9 years and portable grills were all we
> had. They were fine. They get hot enough to do anything I now do on my
> 6 burner "Grillzilla"

Grillzilla! <Grin> Sounds like a blast. Do you have a favorite sausage
for the grill?

-T

Six burners!

Poblano peppers zxcvbob General Cooking 3 09-12-2013 07:10 AM
Poblano peppers Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 0 26-02-2013 06:05 PM
Poblano harvest is in Paul M. Cook General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 03:22 AM
Mole Poblano Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2006 04:37 AM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM