Old 23-05-2013, 06:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ĄPoblano!

Hi All,

I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
thinking of growing them this year.)

While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

Many thanks,
-T

Old 23-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
thinking of growing them this year.)

While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

Many thanks,
-T
Several ways to do it. Charred and blistered on an open flame works well such as with gas bbq grill then throw them in a paper sack and seal them up right quick. After a bit they start steaming themselves the skin gets slimey and the pepper gets slimey and it peels off sorta..lol. Same trick can be done with a propane hand torch. Here is link showing how to do it in an electric oven. Now once they turn red they turn themselves into Ancho's. What color is yours? They are wonderful as a topping for baked potatoes. Not that folks in this section seem to be able to eat such stuff. Throw some on your burger or sandwich. Very good like that too. Indispensable for good cheesy squash casseroles..homininy casseroles..green chili..green enchiladas..stews etc etc. Might be good with chocolate cake..just aint tried it..lol.

Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers

Last edited by bigwheel : 23-05-2013 at 10:49 PM
Old 23-05-2013, 10:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ?Poblano!

Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
: weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
: Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
: thinking of growing them this year.)

: While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
: had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
: said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

: As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
: through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

: What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
: the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

: Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

: Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
: eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

: Many thanks,
: -T

That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone when
they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame and
then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind the
skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave a
little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those scrambled
eggs.

Wendy
Old 24-05-2013, 07:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/23/2013 02:56 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T
Old 24-05-2013, 07:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/23/2013 02:46 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Todd;1836224 Wrote:
[...]

'Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers' (http://tinyurl.com/odetagm)

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

My Poblanos are shiny dark green. They have that look and feel
when you hold them in your hand of exciting things to come that only
a cook understands.

My wife is very sensitive to hot pepper, but if fine with Ancho,
so this sound like a perfect match up.

Old 24-05-2013, 08:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

Put the oven rack on the top slot, turn the oven to broil and place
the peppers on a sheet of aluminum foil. Watch closely doesn't take
long.

Old 24-05-2013, 10:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(
Old 25-05-2013, 05:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.
Old 25-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior Member

Todd;1836224 Wrote:
[...]

'Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers' (Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers)

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

My Poblanos are shiny dark green. They have that look and feel
when you hold them in your hand of exciting things to come that only
a cook understands.

My wife is very sensitive to hot pepper, but if fine with Ancho,
so this sound like a perfect match up.

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T
Sounds like you got some good peppers. There are directions in the link for charring them in an electric oven on broil sitting on a cookie sheet seems like. Are you saying you only have the cook top maybe? That could get a bit messy. If all else fails head to Wally World and snag a propane braising torch. Thats how Wolfgang Puck does it..most likely..lol. Mama should not get lit up too bad..just use the peppers sparingly till you get a handle on the heat levels. About the only time they make me break a sweat is putting a whole split one on a burger. Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.
Old 25-05-2013, 04:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pćad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 25-05-2013, 06:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/24/2013 09:35 PM, Opple0pćad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

Hi Opple0pćad,

:-)

Combustion component and burning dust give my wife
pretty bad asthma. So, no open flames or ovens
to burn dust. She has a hard enough time with me
burning butter.

-T
Old 25-05-2013, 06:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 08:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pćad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Do I even need them skinned?

Old 25-05-2013, 06:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd;1836224 Wrote:-
[...]

"propane braising torch": interesting. I wonder if ...

A customer told me to soak Jalapenos in milk for 10 minutes to
rid the fire. Maybe for a "girly burger"?

-T

Old 25-05-2013, 08:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
:
[...]

Don'tknow about that name. Most of the hot pepper eaters I know are
women. Don't sell us females short and use that propane torch outside!

Wendy-who uses anchos in soups to given them a gentle pick-up

Old 25-05-2013, 09:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2013 12:27 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2013 08:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pćad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Poblano peppers zxcvbob General Cooking 3 09-12-2013 07:10 AM
Poblano peppers Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 0 26-02-2013 06:05 PM
Poblano harvest is in Paul M. Cook General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 03:22 AM
Mole Poblano Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2006 04:37 AM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM