Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default ?Poblano!

In article om>,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >> You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

> > Recipe!

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> hatch green chile sauce

> 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 1 large onion -- chopped
> 3 cloves garlic -- minced
> 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> 2 cups chopped roasted mild green chile -- preferably
> new mexican or anaheim, fresh or frozen
> 2 cups chicken stock
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon ground coriander
>
> in a heavy saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. add the onion and
> sauté until well softened, about 5 minutes. stir in the garlic and
> sauté for an additional minute, then add the flour and continue cooking
> for another 1 or 2 minutes. mix in the chile. pour in the stock and
> add the seasonings. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat to a
> low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until thickened but still very
> pourable.
>
> Cuisine:
> "Mexican"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> NOTES :
> serve warm with enchiladas or other dishes. the sauce keeps
> refrigerated, for about 5 days and freezes well.

Enchiladas (Take 2)

Authentic Enchiladas Verdes

Recipe makes 4 servings

Ingredients

€ 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
€ 2 cups chicken broth
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 2 teaspoons salt
€ 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
(green tomatoes can be substituted)
€ 5 serrano peppers
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 1 pinch salt
€ 12 corn tortillas
€ 1/4 cup vegetable oil
€ 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
€ 1/2 white onion, chopped
€ 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one
quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil,
and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth, set chicken aside to cool,
and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken
with your hands.

2. Place tomatillos and serrano chiles in a pot with water, enough to
cover them. Bring to boil, and continue boiling until tomatillos turn a
different shade of green (from bright green to a dull, army green).
Strain tomatillos and chiles, and place in a blender with another
quarter piece of onion, 1 clove garlic, and a pinch of salt. Pour in
reserved chicken broth, so that liquid just covers the veggies in the
blender by about an inch. Blend all ingredients until they are
completely pureed. Pour salsa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low
boil.

3. Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry
tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel
afterwards to soak some of the oil. Finally, dip slightly fried
tortillas in low-boiling green salsa, until tortillas become soft again.
Place on plates, 3 per person.

4. Fill or top tortillas with shredded chicken, then extra green
sauce. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.