Old 26-05-2013, 03:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ?Poblano!

On 05/25/2013 01:42 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/25/2013 12:27 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2013 08:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pćad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

Hi Janet,

Something went wrong. I cored it, cut it in half, pulled
the seeds out, dunked the two halves into boiling salted water
for three minutes, then stuck them in freezing cold water.

1) the skins did not come off

2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.

What did I do wrong?

-T

chili rellenos sound so good too!

Old 26-05-2013, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ĄPoblano!

On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.

Hi Bigwheel,

I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
to hot spices.

When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
"I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

-T

Old 26-05-2013, 04:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put
them into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Old 26-05-2013, 05:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

I would have dunked the whole pepper before cutting in boiling water for
about 5 or 6 minutes. I've done this with bell peppers I wanted to cut
up and freeze for later use.

The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
bag as we discussed before.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 26-05-2013, 05:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:

2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.

Peppers are like that. Some are hotter than others even within the
exact same variety and size pepper. You can't tell until you eat it.

There is something called the Scovill Scale that rates the hotness of
peppers. Google for it. It will help you to find pepper with less heat.

I don't do hot stuff either and I find I can handle poblanos and
Anaheims fairly well. I also can deal with mild Hatch green chilis.

Old 26-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Todd;1836462 Wrote:
On 05/23/2013 02:46 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
Todd;1836224 Wrote:-
Hi All,

I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
thinking of growing them this year.)

While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

Many thanks,
-T-

Several ways to do it. Charred and blistered on an open flame works
well
such as with gas bbq grill then throw them in a paper sack and seal
them
up right quick. After a bit they start steaming themselves the skin
gets
slimey and the pepper gets slimey and it peels off sorta..lol. Same
trick can be done with a propane hand torch. Here is link showing how
do it in an electric oven. Now once they turn red they turn themselves
into Ancho's. What color is yours? They are wonderful as a topping for
baked potatoes. Not that folks in this section seem to be able to eat
such stuff. Throw some on your burger or sandwich. Very good like that
too. Indispensable for good cheesy squash casseroles..homininy
casseroles..green chili..green enchiladas..stews etc etc. Might be
good
with chocolate cake..just aint tried it..lol.

'Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers' ('Food Tips: How to Roast
Poblano Peppers' (Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

My Poblanos are shiny dark green. They have that look and feel
when you hold them in your hand of exciting things to come that only
a cook understands.

My wife is very sensitive to hot pepper, but if fine with Ancho,
so this sound like a perfect match up.

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T

Sounds like you got some good peppers. There are directions in the link
for charring them in an electric oven on broil sitting on a cookie sheet
seems like. Are you saying you only have the cook top maybe? That could
get a bit messy. If all else fails head to Wally World and snag a
propane braising torch. Thats how Wolfgang Puck does it..most
likely..lol. Mama should not get lit up too bad..just use the peppers
sparingly till you get a handle on the heat levels. About the only time
they make me break a sweat is putting a whole split one on a burger.
Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

"propane braising torch": interesting. I wonder if ...

A customer told me to soak Jalapenos in milk for 10 minutes to
rid the fire. Maybe for a "girly burger"?

-T
I think you need to tell that sissy girly girl to man up a little..lol. Never heard of the milk deal but should work. The capsicum is fat soluble and milk has a bunch of that..dont use the low fat milk..lol. That is why when you get a good mouth scald water do not work too well to quench the fire. Milk and butter help. Some highly smart Aggies at A&M come up with a heatless Jap made especially for heat sensitive yankees who buy their mild Picante sauce. Its called a TAM. You might could find those at a well stocked yup fruit stand or whatever. The normal Japs we get around here aint hot enough to worry about. Clean out the seeds and scrape the veins they are about like a bell pepper. It takes somebody knowing what they are doing to make one hot enough to worry about. I am waiting for the Aggies to come up with a heatless Hab. Those are packed with way more flavor than a jap. Just got to pay the price to taste it. lol
Old 26-05-2013, 10:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

(http://tinyurl.com/odetagm))-)

[...]

She says "truly funny dude!" She is still laughing!

[...]

I was trying to figure out whether Poblanos are worth planting. We
are not suppose to plant till the second week in June, so I got a
little time.

A heatless Hab. Now that would be something! :-)

-T

And the first/trophy is still chuckling in the background.

Old 26-05-2013, 10:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

That is what I get for looking it up on the web, instead of
asking here. I underblanched. (You realize I actually
"undercooked" something. Didn't think it possible.)

The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
bag as we discussed before.

No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
(asthma).

Thank you!

-T
Old 26-05-2013, 10:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/25/2013 09:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:

2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.

Peppers are like that. Some are hotter than others even within the
exact same variety and size pepper. You can't tell until you eat it.

There is something called the Scovill Scale that rates the hotness of
peppers. Google for it. It will help you to find pepper with less heat.

I don't do hot stuff either and I find I can handle poblanos and
Anaheims fairly well. I also can deal with mild Hatch green chilis.

Hi Janet,

Thank you!

I am going to ask the guys in the market how to pick a hot Poblano.

You make a good point about the hotness. The local CSA farm has
a pepper, who's name I can not recall, that is bright red. Tastes
like a red bell pepper. Unless it has stayed on the vine for a while.
Then, it is some kind of hot. And, you can't tell them apart. The
are exactly the same size and color. Not even the folks at the farm
can tell them apart. (They warned me.)

I bought four of them last year. Three were sweet. The forth
and last one, oh my, oh my! I thought my head was going to come
off! I had gotten pretty careless by the forth one too.

-T

Old 26-05-2013, 10:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put
them into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)

Okay guys, I don't know what I am doing. Why skin them? Texture?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 26-05-2013, 11:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

LOL!

The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
bag as we discussed before.

No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
(asthma).

Thank you!

-T

Does your Trophy Wife ever go out while you stay at home? That might be
a good time to open all the windows, turn on all the vent fans and char
a couple of peppers. :-)

Old 26-05-2013, 11:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put
them into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)

Okay guys, I don't know what I am doing. Why skin them? Texture?
Inquiring minds want to know!

personally, I think they just taste better skinned.
Traditionally, every Mexican cook book and every local friend of Mexican
heritage skins their big peppers. The little ones, like jalapenos and
habaneros are not skinned, just diced (wearing disposable gloves if you
know what's best for your)

Old 27-05-2013, 01:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:25:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pćad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

Ever have Jalapeno - stuffed with cream cheese - breaded - deep fried?

Made fresh this is an excellent treat, appetizer, side dish.
Old 27-05-2013, 01:54 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 26 May 2013 14:45:33 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

I was trying to figure out whether Poblanos are worth planting. We
are not suppose to plant till the second week in June, so I got a
little time.

A heatless Hab. Now that would be something! :-)

-T

And the first/trophy is still chuckling in the background.

Hot peppers of any kind do really well growing in bucket gardens if
people are limited for space. Try to use at least a five gallon
bucket per plant.

Old 27-05-2013, 02:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 05:54 PM, Opple0pćad wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2013 14:45:33 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

I was trying to figure out whether Poblanos are worth planting. We
are not suppose to plant till the second week in June, so I got a
little time.

A heatless Hab. Now that would be something! :-)

-T

And the first/trophy is still chuckling in the background.

Hot peppers of any kind do really well growing in bucket gardens if
people are limited for space. Try to use at least a five gallon
bucket per plant.

Thank you!

Poblano peppers zxcvbob General Cooking 3 09-12-2013 06:10 AM
Poblano peppers Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 0 26-02-2013 05:05 PM
Poblano harvest is in Paul M. Cook General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 02:22 AM
Mole Poblano Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2006 04:37 AM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM