Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poblano harvest is in

So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half green.
Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please. Anything but
rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be nice to showcase the
red ones since they look so nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote:

>So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half green.
>Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please. Anything but
>rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow.

Perhaps unconventionally I do use these in chili. Last night I
made a batch of chili with about twenty chili peppers in it,
most of them Poblanos but a few California, Piquillo, and bell peppers.

You can't call it green chili and you can't call it red chili
because there is some of each...

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:23:16 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half green.
>Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please. Anything but
>rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be nice to showcase the
>red ones since they look so nice.

Roast, peel and seed them. In a skillet cook some minced onion until
translucent, add some minced garlic then some corn; creamed or kernel,
which ever you prefer.
Add a little half and half or cream and the poblano strips. Then add
some grated cheese of your choice, I like Monterey Jack or Parmesan
depends on my mood. Place on low heat and simmer watching it closely
to melt cheese and thicken the sauce.

There ya' go.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:23:16 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
> >So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half green.
> >Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please. Anything but
> >rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be nice to showcase the
> >red ones since they look so nice.
> >

> Roast, peel and seed them. In a skillet cook some minced onion until
> translucent, add some minced garlic then some corn; creamed or kernel,
> which ever you prefer.
> Add a little half and half or cream and the poblano strips. Then add
> some grated cheese of your choice, I like Monterey Jack or Parmesan
> depends on my mood. Place on low heat and simmer watching it closely
> to melt cheese and thicken the sauce.
>
> There ya' go.
>
> koko

Sounds yummy Koko! This would go good with scrambled eggs in place of
the corn.

An onion, pepper and cheese omelet would work too.
I have some canned whole green chilis, but fresh are certainly better!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:08:44 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> koko > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:23:16 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half green.
>> >Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please. Anything but
>> >rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be nice to showcase the
>> >red ones since they look so nice.
>> >

>> Roast, peel and seed them. In a skillet cook some minced onion until
>> translucent, add some minced garlic then some corn; creamed or kernel,
>> which ever you prefer.
>> Add a little half and half or cream and the poblano strips. Then add
>> some grated cheese of your choice, I like Monterey Jack or Parmesan
>> depends on my mood. Place on low heat and simmer watching it closely
>> to melt cheese and thicken the sauce.
>>
>> There ya' go.
>>
>> koko

>Sounds yummy Koko! This would go good with scrambled eggs in place of
>the corn.

Thanks Om, it's really good. Yep, I think scrambled eggs would be
great.

>An onion, pepper and cheese omelet would work too.
>I have some canned whole green chilis, but fresh are certainly better!

It seems like one must have canned green chilis on hand anymore. Handy
to have for sure.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/17
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
koko > wrote:

> >Sounds yummy Koko! This would go good with scrambled eggs in place of
> >the corn.
> >

> Thanks Om, it's really good. Yep, I think scrambled eggs would be
> great.
>
> >An onion, pepper and cheese omelet would work too.
> >I have some canned whole green chilis, but fresh are certainly better!

> It seems like one must have canned green chilis on hand anymore. Handy
> to have for sure.
>
> koko

No argument there. <g>
That and canned minced black olives...

And Anchovies!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Paul M. Cook wrote
>
> So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half
> green. Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please.
> Anything but rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be
> nice to showcase the red ones since they look so nice.

Sweet-and-tart pepper-and-onion relish comes to mind. It's a
tasty way to highlight the peppers and is good with lots of
different sandwiches or meat from hamburgers to roast pork.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:23:16 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
> > So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half
> > green. Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please.
> > Anything but rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be
> > nice to showcase the red ones since they look so nice.
> >

> Roast, peel and seed them.

I've been getting a small stream of poblanos from the Neighbor-Shocking
Front-Yard Garden. Some red, some green. The green I roast and peel to
use for chile verde or chicken chili. The reds are nice in stir-fry,
more kick than a red bell pepper.

The unseasonably cool weather has slowed down both chile and tomato
production from the NSFYG.

Brian

--
Day 259 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:49:25 -0700, koko > wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:23:16 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>wrote:
>
>>So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half green.
>>Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please. Anything but
>>rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be nice to showcase the
>>red ones since they look so nice.
>>

>Roast, peel and seed them. In a skillet cook some minced onion until
>translucent, add some minced garlic then some corn; creamed or kernel,
>which ever you prefer.
>Add a little half and half or cream and the poblano strips. Then add
>some grated cheese of your choice, I like Monterey Jack or Parmesan
>depends on my mood. Place on low heat and simmer watching it closely
>to melt cheese and thicken the sauce.
>
>There ya' go.
>
>koko

A new way for having rajas - poblano strips. I'll try your recipe this
weekend.

Thanks koko.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:52:51 -0400, Cooking Affair
> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:49:25 -0700, koko > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:23:16 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>So I harvested 40 really nice poblanos today, half red and half green.
>>>Shame to eat them they are so pretty. So ideas please. Anything but
>>>rellenos as that is for dinner tomorrow. It would be nice to showcase the
>>>red ones since they look so nice.
>>>

>>Roast, peel and seed them. In a skillet cook some minced onion until
>>translucent, add some minced garlic then some corn; creamed or kernel,
>>which ever you prefer.
>>Add a little half and half or cream and the poblano strips. Then add
>>some grated cheese of your choice, I like Monterey Jack or Parmesan
>>depends on my mood. Place on low heat and simmer watching it closely
>>to melt cheese and thicken the sauce.
>>
>>There ya' go.
>>
>>koko

>A new way for having rajas - poblano strips. I'll try your recipe this
>weekend.
>
>Thanks koko.

How do you make your rajas? I'd like to learn variations of it as I
like it so much.

This is the recipe I got from my niece's grandmother who lives in
Mexico City. I suppose it's like a lot of recipes, there are as many
variations as there are cooks.

koko

--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/19
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:51:53 -0700, koko > wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:52:51 -0400, Cooking Affair
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:49:25 -0700, koko > wrote:

>>>Roast, peel and seed them. In a skillet cook some minced onion until
>>>translucent, add some minced garlic then some corn; creamed or kernel,
>>>which ever you prefer.
>>>Add a little half and half or cream and the poblano strips. Then add
>>>some grated cheese of your choice, I like Monterey Jack or Parmesan
>>>depends on my mood. Place on low heat and simmer watching it closely
>>>to melt cheese and thicken the sauce.
>>>
>>>There ya' go.
>>>
>>>koko

>>A new way for having rajas - poblano strips. I'll try your recipe this
>>weekend.
>>
>>Thanks koko.

>How do you make your rajas? I'd like to learn variations of it as I
>like it so much.
>
>This is the recipe I got from my niece's grandmother who lives in
>Mexico City. I suppose it's like a lot of recipes, there are as many
>variations as there are cooks.
>
>koko

When I have carne a la tampiquena I start like you, roast, peel and
seed the poblanos. Instead of minced onion, I cut it into thin slices,
put both in a skillet with little oil and that's it. When serving
dinner, I add some cream and Feta cheese on top of the rajas.

There is another dish, the name escapes me right now, but is your
typical casserole. It has pork, green squash, corn (kernel), cream
and, rajas. I do apologize for not having the exact recipe at hand,
it's been years since I cook it, but it goes something like this.

2 to 2.5 lbs. Boneless country style pork ribs (3 lbs. with bone)
4 or 5 Green squashes
12 to 16 oz. Corn - kernel
12 to 16 oz. Cream
4 or 5 Poblanos
6 oz. +/- Chicken broth

Salt and pepper to taste.

Cut the green squash to about the size of sugar cubes, put them aside.

Have the poblanos roasted, peeled, seeded and, cut into strips the way
you already know. Put them aside.

Cut the pork into chunks about the size of meatballs, salt and pepper
them to taste. Brown the pork in the casserole with some oil. Add the
corn and chicken broth, bring it to a boil. Add the green squash and
reduce the heat to simmer.

When the broth has been reduced to practically nothing, add the rajas
and the cream, mix everything well and let it simmer for another 15
minutes. That's it.

I prefer the pork with bone just because those bones give more flavor
to the final dish.

From this casserole, you can take the green squash and add it to your
original recipe. I think it will make a good side dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:45:33 -0400, Cooking Affair
> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:51:53 -0700, koko > wrote:

snippage

>>How do you make your rajas? I'd like to learn variations of it as I
>>like it so much.
>>koko
>>

>When I have carne a la tampiquena I start like you, roast, peel and
>seed the poblanos. Instead of minced onion, I cut it into thin slices,
>put both in a skillet with little oil and that's it. When serving
>dinner, I add some cream and Feta cheese on top of the rajas.
>
>There is another dish, the name escapes me right now, but is your
>typical casserole. It has pork, green squash, corn (kernel), cream
>and, rajas. I do apologize for not having the exact recipe at hand,
>it's been years since I cook it, but it goes something like this.
>
>2 to 2.5 lbs. Boneless country style pork ribs (3 lbs. with bone)
>4 or 5 Green squashes
>12 to 16 oz. Corn - kernel
>12 to 16 oz. Cream
>4 or 5 Poblanos
>6 oz. +/- Chicken broth
>
>Salt and pepper to taste.
>
>Cut the green squash to about the size of sugar cubes, put them aside.
>
>Have the poblanos roasted, peeled, seeded and, cut into strips the way
>you already know. Put them aside.
>
>Cut the pork into chunks about the size of meatballs, salt and pepper
>them to taste. Brown the pork in the casserole with some oil. Add the
>corn and chicken broth, bring it to a boil. Add the green squash and
>reduce the heat to simmer.
>
>When the broth has been reduced to practically nothing, add the rajas
>and the cream, mix everything well and let it simmer for another 15
>minutes. That's it.
>
>I prefer the pork with bone just because those bones give more flavor
>to the final dish.
>
>From this casserole, you can take the green squash and add it to your
>original recipe. I think it will make a good side dish.

Thanks this looks wonderful. Snipped and saved.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/25

¡Poblano! Todd Diabetic 67 20-06-2013 06:29 PM
Poblano peppers Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 0 26-02-2013 05:05 PM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM
Errant poblano Bubba General Cooking 7 22-12-2004 11:35 PM
Poblano Sauce Whitt Alvin Patronos Nardy Mexican Cooking 1 26-09-2004 03:45 AM