bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 05/29/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Todd;1837332 Wrote:
On 05/28/2013 12:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
W. Baker;1836282 Wrote:-
Todd lid wrote:
: Hi All,

: I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
: weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
: Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
: thinking of growing them this year.)

: While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
: had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
: said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

: As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
: through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

: What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
: the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

: Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

: Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
: eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

: Many thanks,
: -T

That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone
when

they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame
and

then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind
the
skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave

little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those
scrambled

eggs.

Wendy-

Hey Wendy..thanks for your input on the peppers. I was taught to do
the
red ones..Anchos in a blender with cold water. Hot water makes them
turn
orange for some reason..but cold water make them come out bright red
and
ready to dump on any kind of Mexican looking food group needing a
zippy
red chile sauce. Never did try pulverizing many green ones but that
should work too.-

How does one turn a Poblano into a Ancho. I though Anchos were just
dried Poblanos?

Have you ever done this with a Chimayo (New Mexico Red) Pepper?

Anchos are the ripe mature version of Pablanos..dryness level varies.
Most times closer to leathery but for making powders they can be laid on
the window sill for a few days to crunch up a bit. Chimayos tend to be
pretty hot or at least the ones I have run into seem so. Would not take
much of the powder to light up a person.

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

If I manage to successfully grow Poblanos (I have a black thumb),
I think I will try leaving some on the vine to turn red.

I have a quart container of Chimayo powder. The older it gets the
less fire. Seems to retain the flavor. Still too hot for
the Mrs..

-T
Guess nearly all the powders lose potency over time. Wally World usually has a fair selection of dried whole peppers in cellophane wrappers usually Anchos..Chimayos and Cascabels. Pendery's in Fort Worth has some of the best and freshest of any chile/chili powders..whole pods and other related spices a person might want.

Chile Peppers, Spices, Explore Our Incredible Variety of Chili Pepper Products

Last edited by bigwheel : 01-06-2013 at 05:55 PM