Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default coleslaw

made the slaw with a head of red and a head of regular cabbage and doubled
the recipe since it called for just one head.

I used the Cuisinart to shred the cabbage to rice size bits and salted
rinsed and drained it and shredded a few baby carrots..not many as carrot
spikes me.

I replaced the sugar with liquid splenda

turned out excellent!

was just as good as kfc.

it was a bit dryer then I like so I made extra dressing to adjust it as I
like and bough whole peppercorns to grind in my pepper grinder..nothing
beats fresh ground pepper on coleslaw

so I would say it was a huge success ..excellent recipe!

I've seen some where you pour hot vinegar on the slaw etc...this was very
easy..very tasty

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: made the slaw with a head of red and a head of regular cabbage and doubled
: the recipe since it called for just one head.

: I used the Cuisinart to shred the cabbage to rice size bits and salted
: rinsed and drained it and shredded a few baby carrots..not many as carrot
: spikes me.

: I replaced the sugar with liquid splenda

: turned out excellent!

: was just as good as kfc.

: it was a bit dryer then I like so I made extra dressing to adjust it as I
: like and bough whole peppercorns to grind in my pepper grinder..nothing
: beats fresh ground pepper on coleslaw

: so I would say it was a huge success ..excellent recipe!

: I've seen some where you pour hot vinegar on the slaw etc...this was very
: easy..very tasty

: KROM

Someone brought a coleslaw today to our kiddush(feed after services) adn I
took a taste and then went back for a full serving. It was awsome! no
sugar, no mayo, I guess some kind of a vinegrette. Don't know whomade it
so cna't get the recipe. It clearly had cabbage, carrot and onion. I
might try fiddling with these foods and some vinegar adn not much oil, as
there wasn't much in this sallad. Any thoughts? I couldeat a bowlful of
that stuff and want to duplicate so I can:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Excellent, did you use the buttermilk? And which vinegar did you end up
going for?

"KROM" > wrote in message
> made the slaw with a head of red and a head of regular cabbage and
> doubled the recipe since it called for just one head.
>
> I used the Cuisinart to shred the cabbage to rice size bits and salted
> rinsed and drained it and shredded a few baby carrots..not many as
> carrot spikes me.
>
> I replaced the sugar with liquid splenda
>
> turned out excellent!
>
> was just as good as kfc.
>
> it was a bit dryer then I like so I made extra dressing to adjust it
> as I like and bough whole peppercorns to grind in my pepper
> grinder..nothing beats fresh ground pepper on coleslaw
>
> so I would say it was a huge success ..excellent recipe!
>
> I've seen some where you pour hot vinegar on the slaw etc...this was
> very easy..very tasty
>

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if I recall you boil vinegar with sugar or sugar sub with whole pepper corns
and coriander or cumin and mustard seed and then pour it hot over the slaw
then refrigerate..

here's one :

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...aw127966.shtml

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

KROM > wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I used buttermilk and milk as the recipe called for..pretty much followed it
exactly as written except I doubled the dressing since I used two
cabbages..and I used a lot more pepper.

I used fresh lemons.

I used real mayo and I used 50/50 white and cider vinegar..though I bet any
will be as good..I tasted the dressing with each separate and was pretty
much the same since the buttermilk and lemon are strong.

I grilled 6 burgers and two steaks..wife ate a burger..I ate a steak and we
both were in coleslaw heaven..lol..oh plus onion and tomato slices..but the
star was definitely the slaw...even beat the steak and burger which is
saying a lot.

now I got lunches and dinners for a couple days..lol

KROM

"KROM" > wrote in message
> made the slaw with a head of red and a head of regular cabbage and doubled
> the recipe since it called for just one head.
>
> I used the Cuisinart to shred the cabbage to rice size bits and salted
> rinsed and drained it and shredded a few baby carrots..not many as carrot
> spikes me.
>
> I replaced the sugar with liquid splenda
>
> turned out excellent!
>
> was just as good as kfc.
>
> it was a bit dryer then I like so I made extra dressing to adjust it as I
> like and bough whole peppercorns to grind in my pepper grinder..nothing
> beats fresh ground pepper on coleslaw
>
> so I would say it was a huge success ..excellent recipe!
>
> I've seen some where you pour hot vinegar on the slaw etc...this was very
> easy..very tasty
>

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 31/07/2011 6:24 a.m., KROM wrote:
> made the slaw with a head of red and a head of regular cabbage and
> doubled the recipe since it called for just one head.
>
> I used the Cuisinart to shred the cabbage to rice size bits and salted
> rinsed and drained it and shredded a few baby carrots..not many as
> carrot spikes me.
>
> I replaced the sugar with liquid splenda
>
> turned out excellent!
>
> was just as good as kfc.
>
> it was a bit dryer then I like so I made extra dressing to adjust it as
> I like and bough whole peppercorns to grind in my pepper
> grinder..nothing beats fresh ground pepper on coleslaw
>
> so I would say it was a huge success ..excellent recipe!
>
> I've seen some where you pour hot vinegar on the slaw etc...this was
> very easy..very tasty
>

> KROM

I'm on a coleslaw kick at the moment.

Regular cabbage, cut fine
Red onion, diced
Celery, sliced fine
Sango sprouts, (have a distinct radish taste)
Balsamic rice bran oil dressing

Doing well with it so far

--
The older I get...the Better I Used to be
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sounds good!

this was so good I am going to save it for special occasions so I don’t get
burnt out on it.

KROM

"bugalugs" wrote

I'm on a coleslaw kick at the moment.

Regular cabbage, cut fine
Red onion, diced
Celery, sliced fine
Sango sprouts, (have a distinct radish taste)
Balsamic rice bran oil dressing

Doing well with it so far

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
> made the slaw with a head of red and a head of regular cabbage and
> doubled the recipe since it called for just one head.
>
> I used the Cuisinart to shred the cabbage to rice size bits and salted
> rinsed and drained it and shredded a few baby carrots..not many as
> carrot spikes me.
>
> I replaced the sugar with liquid splenda
>
> turned out excellent!
>
> was just as good as kfc.
>
> it was a bit dryer then I like so I made extra dressing to adjust it
> as I like and bough whole peppercorns to grind in my pepper
> grinder..nothing beats fresh ground pepper on coleslaw
>
> so I would say it was a huge success ..excellent recipe!
>
> I've seen some where you pour hot vinegar on the slaw etc...this was
> very easy..very tasty
>

> KROM

Recently, I've had some coleslaws from the deli counter of the supermarket
that were not strictly identified as "coleslaw." I'm sure they had real
sugar in them, and I didn't test afterwards, so who knows what they did to
my BG, but they were awfully good, and I think one could easily achieve the
same result with aartificial sweetener. One, which was VERY finely chopped,
seemed to have green cabbage, scallions, sweet red pepper, pea pods or
shoots of some kind, and possibly some green apple and/or cucumber. The
dressing was light, and mayonnaise-based. I think they called it crunchy
summer salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

well make it your mission to replicate it them share it here!

:-D

tasty tasty experiments

KROM

"Janet" wrote ...

Recently, I've had some coleslaws from the deli counter of the supermarket
that were not strictly identified as "coleslaw." I'm sure they had real
sugar in them, and I didn't test afterwards, so who knows what they did to
my BG, but they were awfully good, and I think one could easily achieve the
same result with aartificial sweetener. One, which was VERY finely chopped,
seemed to have green cabbage, scallions, sweet red pepper, pea pods or
shoots of some kind, and possibly some green apple and/or cucumber. The
dressing was light, and mayonnaise-based. I think they called it crunchy
summer salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> KROM wrote:
>> made the slaw with a head of red and a head of regular cabbage and
>> doubled the recipe since it called for just one head.
>>
>> I used the Cuisinart to shred the cabbage to rice size bits and
>> salted
>> rinsed and drained it and shredded a few baby carrots..not many as
>> carrot spikes me.
>>
>> I replaced the sugar with liquid splenda
>>
>> turned out excellent!
>>
>> was just as good as kfc.
>>
>> it was a bit dryer then I like so I made extra dressing to adjust it
>> as I like and bough whole peppercorns to grind in my pepper
>> grinder..nothing beats fresh ground pepper on coleslaw
>>
>> so I would say it was a huge success ..excellent recipe!
>>
>> I've seen some where you pour hot vinegar on the slaw etc...this was
>> very easy..very tasty
>>

>> KROM

> Recently, I've had some coleslaws from the deli counter of the
> supermarket that were not strictly identified as "coleslaw." I'm sure
> they had real sugar in them, and I didn't test afterwards, so who
> knows what they did to my BG, but they were awfully good, and I think
> one could easily achieve the same result with aartificial sweetener.
> One, which was VERY finely chopped, seemed to have green cabbage,
> scallions, sweet red pepper, pea pods or

I can buy bagged crunchy summer salads. I mostly add the good old ranch
dressing, lol. One brand has a sachet of a mango/coconut dressing.
Wonderful stuff but not enough for the whole bag of salad.