Old 13-04-2005, 01:09 PM

Dana H. Myers wrote:
Do you mean 45 degrees or 90 degrees? :-)

I had to turn mine 90 degrees - and it works way better.

Aw man, my bad! 90 degrees is right.

Rob

Old 14-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Brick

On 11-Apr-2005, "phyteach" wrote:

Greetings all,

Broke down and bought the Char-Broil silver smoker, formerly
known as the NBBD. Here are a few observations:

Faily easy to assemble, all parts included, and all teh holes lined up
as they should. I noticed a gap (~1/16 to 1/32 inch) between the
firebox and the smoking chamber. Since the face of the smoking chamber
was a bit bulged, I assume that it is normal.

I made two of the mods in the FAQ, the flashing in the exhaust stack,
and the flashing over the firebox exit. I decided to be crafty with
the second, though. I figured "Hey, they make hi-temp gaskets out of
aluminium, why not place the flashing on the surface between the
firebox and the smoking chamber?" And before anyone asks, no the
flashing isn't causing the gap, as I tried it both with and without. I
simply traced the hole pattern and it worked. However, I think that
the piece that hangs down might be too large and too restrictive as I
could only get to about 230 on the cooking grate. Fire was briquettes
(yeah, I know...) and firebox vents were wide open. It was about 60,
sunny and no wind, with the unit in the sunshine. I am going to either
remove some material, or see if I can slant it upward a bit more to
increase airflow. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

I won't try to tell you what to do Scott. That mod at the firebox opening
into the cook chamber is solely designed to keep radient heat, (that is
IR heat direct from hot coals/flame from getting into the cook chamber.)
By and large it only affects the first 1/4 of the grate next to the firebox.
Do an eyeball inspection on your pit. Wherever your meat can see fire,
that is what you're trying to avoid. Adjust you modifications accordingly.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)

Old 14-04-2005, 01:43 AM
Allen Epps

In article .com,
" wrote:

Dana H. Myers wrote:
Do you mean 45 degrees or 90 degrees? :-)

I had to turn mine 90 degrees - and it works way better.

Aw man, my bad! 90 degrees is right.

Rob

Thanks for the suggestion. I broke mine in on some babybacks last
weekend and they turned out great. I used a mixture of Hickory about
twice the size of my fist and "Green Egg" brand lump and the grate temp
went up to about 400 very quickly. I started regulating and the ribs
went on when I got it down to 275. I only had to add charcoal once.
Next weekend a slab of venision ham! I did put some aluminum foil on
the bottom racks to make clean up a little easier

Allen