Professor Frink

Default New Char-Broil Silver...Qusetion

Okay so I did the baffle mod, and the smokestake to grate level mod, and I
even put 2 thermometers in the cooking chamber (one on the left side about
grill level, and one on the firebox side at grill level).

There is a temperature difference of about 50 degrees from the firebox side
to the far side near the chimney...is this to be expected?

Is it "balanceable"?

It's a learning experiece coming from my char-Broil bullet to this, mainly in
terms of learning fire control with lump, but I'm getting there.

Thanks!

--
---------------------------------
Professor Frink
Tom Puskar

Can you provide link to the "mods" you described. I just got a Char Broil
Silver and am having a heck of a time figuring out the temperature balance.
I bought an oven thermometer--the cheap kind that sits on the rack--and
found the temperature to vary by more than 100 degrees from the thermometer
in the hood. I haven't mapped the entire chamber yet but figure there has
to be some serious gradients in there.

Tom from Howell, NJ

"Professor Frink" > wrote in message
> Okay so I did the baffle mod, and the smokestake to grate level mod, and I
> even put 2 thermometers in the cooking chamber (one on the left side about
> grill level, and one on the firebox side at grill level).
>
> There is a temperature difference of about 50 degrees from the firebox
> side
> to the far side near the chimney...is this to be expected?
>
> Is it "balanceable"?
>
> It's a learning experiece coming from my char-Broil bullet to this, mainly
> in
> terms of learning fire control with lump, but I'm getting there.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> ---------------------------------
> Professor Frink
> Professor Frink
> He'll make you laugh
> He'll make you think
> --------------------------------

Duwop

"Tom Puskar" > wrote in message
> Can you provide link to the "mods" you described.

They're in the BBQ FAQ, Googling this group will come up with plenty of
posts with the info. Basically you want a baffle on the firebox hole to
protect from any direct heat from the firebox and you want to lower the
exhaust stack down to within an inch or two of the cooking grate. Me, I use
alu foil for that.

http://www.eaglequest.com/%7Ebbq/faq2/toc.html

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families: