phyteach

Default Char Broil Silver Smoker

Greetings all,

Broke down and bought the Char-Broil silver smoker, formerly
known as the NBBD. Here are a few observations:

Faily easy to assemble, all parts included, and all teh holes lined up
as they should. I noticed a gap (~1/16 to 1/32 inch) between the
firebox and the smoking chamber. Since the face of the smoking chamber
was a bit bulged, I assume that it is normal.

I made two of the mods in the FAQ, the flashing in the exhaust stack,
and the flashing over the firebox exit. I decided to be crafty with
the second, though. I figured "Hey, they make hi-temp gaskets out of
aluminium, why not place the flashing on the surface between the
firebox and the smoking chamber?" And before anyone asks, no the
flashing isn't causing the gap, as I tried it both with and without. I
simply traced the hole pattern and it worked. However, I think that
the piece that hangs down might be too large and too restrictive as I
could only get to about 230 on the cooking grate. Fire was briquettes
(yeah, I know...) and firebox vents were wide open. It was about 60,
sunny and no wind, with the unit in the sunshine. I am going to either
remove some material, or see if I can slant it upward a bit more to
increase airflow. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,
Scott