Old 11-04-2007, 03:28 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Newbie needs HELP!

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:46:40 GMT, (Speechless)
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:57:44 -0700, Nonnymus
wrote:

Brett, now you're getting to the real fun of barbecue. To my simple way
of thinking, the experimentation is 75% of the fun, while eating the
most successful of the experiments is the other 25%. grin

Brettster wrote:
How does the addition of an egg change or enhance the flavor of the
beef? Or does it?

Egg is tasteless but keeps the burgers from falling apart. Acts like
"glue" to keep the ground meat stuck together.
Add 2 eggs per pound

For better taste, also add bread crumbs. The bread crumbs absorb and
retain some of the fat for flavor. Add 1/3 cup crumbs per pound

If using lean or extra lean ground meat, add 1/2 cup chopped celery
per pound as additional binding material in addition to egg.

Fry's Food recently had lean ground (less than 10% fat) beef on sale;
a rediculously low price I couldn't pass up.
I knew it would make for lousy burgers - far too lean. So I went to
Sprout's and bought some ground pork, and added it to the ground beef.
It made a world of difference in the flavor and texture.
I'm sure others have done this in the past; I did it once as part of a
recipe for meatloaf. But for the burgers, it really worked wonders.

Add chopped onion for flavor -- experiment for how much to add.

The White House gave John Kerry's
campaign nemesis Sam Fox, who funded
the Swift Boat Veterans, a recess
appointment to Belgium on Wednesday.
Nothing ever changes. John Kerry
insisted he was for the appointment
before he was against the appointment.

newbie craftydragon1951 General Cooking 22 04-04-2006 07:00 AM
Newbie Q's Bulletsnbrains Winemaking 6 12-03-2006 11:28 PM
A NEWBIE HERE!!!.... arem_29 Recipes 1 30-09-2005 03:54 PM
newbie following newbie pu er threads Lara Burton Tea 12 29-08-2005 05:26 PM