Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bill Funk Bill Funk is offline

Default Newbie needs HELP!

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:46:40 GMT, (Speechless)
wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:57:44 -0700, Nonnymus
> wrote:
>
>>Brett, now you're getting to the real fun of barbecue. To my simple way
>>of thinking, the experimentation is 75% of the fun, while eating the
>>most successful of the experiments is the other 25%. <grin>
>>
>>Brettster wrote:
>>> How does the addition of an egg change or enhance the flavor of the
>>> beef? Or does it?
>>>

>Egg is tasteless but keeps the burgers from falling apart. Acts like
>"glue" to keep the ground meat stuck together.
>Add 2 eggs per pound
>
>For better taste, also add bread crumbs. The bread crumbs absorb and
>retain some of the fat for flavor. Add 1/3 cup crumbs per pound
>
>If using lean or extra lean ground meat, add 1/2 cup chopped celery
>per pound as additional binding material in addition to egg.

Fry's Food recently had lean ground (less than 10% fat) beef on sale;
a rediculously low price I couldn't pass up.
I knew it would make for lousy burgers - far too lean. So I went to
Sprout's and bought some ground pork, and added it to the ground beef.
It made a world of difference in the flavor and texture.
I'm sure others have done this in the past; I did it once as part of a
recipe for meatloaf. But for the burgers, it really worked wonders.

>Add chopped onion for flavor -- experiment for how much to add.

The White House gave John Kerry's
campaign nemesis Sam Fox, who funded
the Swift Boat Veterans, a recess
appointment to Belgium on Wednesday.