Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Propane fired smokers

I have been thinking about buying a propane fired smoker. I currently
have a Black Diamond offset box smoker that I continue to have trouble
regulating the temperature even though I have made all the
modifications to it that I can do. The thought that I could set the
temperature on the smoker and forget it except for adding smoking
chips while smoking a big beef brisket for twelve hours makes me
giddy. Any help from someone who has this type of smoker?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Retired wrote:
> I have been thinking about buying a propane fired smoker. I currently
> have a Black Diamond offset box smoker that I continue to have trouble
> regulating the temperature even though I have made all the
> modifications to it that I can do. The thought that I could set the
> temperature on the smoker and forget it except for adding smoking
> chips while smoking a big beef brisket for twelve hours makes me
> giddy. Any help from someone who has this type of smoker?

I haven't been that thrilled with the barbecue that I've seen come out
of the propane fired cookers. I'd suggest instead getting the
temperatures on the offset cooker under control.

A wireless thermometer like the EZ-73 is a good way to go (forgot the
brand name, even though I have one... but they were discussed here
lately.) Using the thermometer and paying attention to what you're
doing is very instructive. One temp probe is at rack level, the other
is in whatever you're cooking. Last time I barbecued a chicken, I got
the temperature where I wanted it and kept in a reasonable range... for
the first time. (Maybe it was dumb luck.)

Also, you might look at a pit minder or a stoker. The temperature
graphs I've seen are very impressive, even though some people around
here feel that's cheating.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
If it works, tear it apart and find out why!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Retired wrote:
> I have been thinking about buying a propane fired smoker. I currently
> have a Black Diamond offset box smoker that I continue to have trouble
> regulating the temperature even though I have made all the
> modifications to it that I can do. The thought that I could set the
> temperature on the smoker and forget it except for adding smoking
> chips while smoking a big beef brisket for twelve hours makes me
> giddy. Any help from someone who has this type of smoker?

I have one. Got it at wallywirld a couple of years ago. I believe the
brand is smokey mountain something.

It essentially is an outdoor oven, which you are not afraid to hose out.

It works OK. The wood chip box is a bit small, but it will hold a
steady temperature, and can attain 300 degrees F even in the winter.
(40 ish here in central TX)

I usually only add chips during the first 1-2 hours, as after the
surface of the meat reaches 150 degrees or so they don't seem to absorb
any more flavor.

I would probably buy it again.

Wanna trade your current smoker for mine?

http://tinyurl.com/yxtgn3
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"shawn" > wrote in message
> Retired wrote:
>> I have been thinking about buying a propane fired smoker. I currently
>> have a Black Diamond offset box smoker that I continue to have trouble
>> regulating the temperature even though I have made all the
>> modifications to it that I can do. The thought that I could set the
>> temperature on the smoker and forget it except for adding smoking
>> chips while smoking a big beef brisket for twelve hours makes me
>> giddy. Any help from someone who has this type of smoker?
>>

> I have one. Got it at wallywirld a couple of years ago. I believe the
> brand is smokey mountain something.
>
> It essentially is an outdoor oven, which you are not afraid to hose out.
>
> It works OK. The wood chip box is a bit small, but it will hold a steady
> temperature, and can attain 300 degrees F even in the winter.
> (40 ish here in central TX)
>
> I usually only add chips during the first 1-2 hours, as after the surface
> of the meat reaches 150 degrees or so they don't seem to absorb any more
> flavor.
>
> I would probably buy it again.
>
> Wanna trade your current smoker for mine?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yxtgn3

I bought the Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker and returned it to
Walmart[who still has it online].
It won't smoke at a low enough temp. to call that smoking. I called the
company, had the heating element replaced, and it still wouldn't go low
enough to smoke ribs, or brisket, or anything you would smoke in an offset
smoker. If you're doing long and slow smoking I would avoid this. As well,
this company has been acquired by Vermont Castings, and is no more. You can
buy the stainless version there.
I was looking for an "easy to smoke" smoker where you didn't have to add
charcoal and smoke, as you do
for 8-12 hours. I ended up taking it back to Walmart.
At BBQ Galore[a chain scattered about the country] they have the Cookshack,
mentioned above. That may work
but they charge for a proprietary "wood product" that creates a smokey
flavor. I didn't want to get ripped off
and I want to use wood I can chop down, or at least buy in chunks.
I don't think there is an answer to this. At this point you have to use
charcoal with wood and you have to check the patio at least hourly.
Good Luck, if you hear anything, let us know.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> I was looking for an "easy to smoke" smoker where you didn't have to add
> charcoal and smoke, as you do
> for 8-12 hours. I ended up taking it back to Walmart.
> At BBQ Galore[a chain scattered about the country] they have the Cookshack,
> mentioned above. That may work
> but they charge for a proprietary "wood product" that creates a smokey
> flavor. I didn't want to get ripped off
> and I want to use wood I can chop down, or at least buy in chunks
>
> Kent

That is incorrect information. You're thinking of the Bradley smoker
with it's proprietary wood pucks. I've been using whatever wood chunks I
have handy in my Cookshack and am quite pleased with the end results.
I've served my time with more labor-intensive smokers. YMMV.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brian" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I was looking for an "easy to smoke" smoker where you didn't have to add
>> charcoal and smoke, as you do
>> for 8-12 hours. I ended up taking it back to Walmart.
>> At BBQ Galore[a chain scattered about the country] they have the
>> Cookshack, mentioned above. That may work
>> but they charge for a proprietary "wood product" that creates a smokey
>> flavor. I didn't want to get ripped off
>> and I want to use wood I can chop down, or at least buy in chunks
>>
>> Kent

> That is incorrect information. You're thinking of the Bradley smoker
> with it's proprietary wood pucks. I've been using whatever wood chunks I
> have handy in my Cookshack and am quite pleased with the end results. I've
> served my time with more labor-intensive smokers. YMMV.

<
You're absolutely right! It was the Bradley.
Isn't the Cookshack fairly expensive?

BTW, what does YMMV mean, and what's its
relevance to this issue, or this NG?

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Brian" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I was looking for an "easy to smoke" smoker where you didn't have to add
>>> charcoal and smoke, as you do
>>> for 8-12 hours. I ended up taking it back to Walmart.
>>> At BBQ Galore[a chain scattered about the country] they have the
>>> Cookshack, mentioned above. That may work
>>> but they charge for a proprietary "wood product" that creates a smokey
>>> flavor. I didn't want to get ripped off
>>> and I want to use wood I can chop down, or at least buy in chunks
>>>
>>> Kent

>> That is incorrect information. You're thinking of the Bradley smoker
>> with it's proprietary wood pucks. I've been using whatever wood chunks I
>> have handy in my Cookshack and am quite pleased with the end results. I've
>> served my time with more labor-intensive smokers. YMMV.
>>

> <
> You're absolutely right! It was the Bradley.
> Isn't the Cookshack fairly expensive?
>
> BTW, what does YMMV mean, and what's its
> relevance to this issue, or this NG?
>
> Kent

Expensive is relative, my Cookshack definitely cost more than my
1st Brinkmann, but I sure do enjoy the full night's sleep I get while
the butts/briskets do their thing. It doesn't use lump or ricks of
hardwood (4-8 oz. of chunks for smoke flavor), I can fire it up in the
dead of winter without dragging out the moving blankets and wind breaks.
Did I mention you get a full night's sleep? Your opinion may differ,
Your Mileage May Vary is another way of saying the same thing.

*Disclaimer* I don't work for Cookshack, but do like my smoker.

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Kent wrote:

> I bought the Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker and returned it to
> Walmart[who still has it online].
> It won't smoke at a low enough temp.

And this is where Your Mileage May Vary comes in. I bought one, the wide
body, at Wal-Mart several years ago. It was my very first smoker, and I
turned out a bunch of decent meat with it for a year or so. Not fantastic,
but decent. I actually had to turn mine up to get it up to 225 F - at its
lowest setting, mine was putting out about 180-200 at the grate. It came
with two grates, but four places to put them, so I called the company and
bought two more. I could load it full with a couple briskets, a pair of pork
shoulders, and still have room to put on a turkey and some ribs in rib racks
late the next day after I'd pulled off one of the roasts.

After a year or so, I went back to Wally World and bought the CharGriller.
Man, what a difference lump charcoal and wood chunks makes. Of course, I had
to dedicate a full day to it, getting up at 5 a.m., not eating until 7 or 8
that night, and had to babysit the fire all day, not able to go anywhere
else or do anything else, constantly checking the temps. A cooler full of
beer helped pass the time.

Did I mention I couldn't go anywhere else or do anything else but bbq that
day? Including honey-do's, running errands, etc. Kinda like a forced
vacation. I'll probably never let go of my CharGriller .

Last weekend, I bought a Traeger, and I've used it every night since. I love
that machine, and it turns out terrific smoked/grilled stuff. Tonight I'm
going to buy a brisket at Costco, season it, refrigerate it overnight, and
put it on the Traeger when I get home from work tomorrow. I've read the
Traeger smokes somewhere around 180-200, so I figure at least 20 hours for
that brisket. I'll let you know how it turns out.

But, back at the OP's request: The GOSM, as it's called (Great Outdoors
Smoky Mountain propane vertical water smoker) worked great for me. I still
have it, but haven't used it in over a year. I doubt I'll be able to
duplicate the tasty results I get with the CharGriller and Trager on a
gasser. But, some day when it's in the '40's overnight and I'm out of Q, I
might just have to fire it up again.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Man slaps boy on flight, now fired ConsĐ¯cons General Cooking 2 20-02-2013 04:37 AM
I've been fired! Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 7 23-02-2007 11:29 PM
I got the smoker fired up modom General Cooking 9 13-03-2006 04:54 AM
Fired Up Wings & Dip Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-07-2005 05:51 PM
Fired as a dishwasher. Andy General Cooking 3 02-11-2004 08:37 AM