Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Default Propane fired smokers

Kent wrote:

> I bought the Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker and returned it to
> Walmart[who still has it online].
> It won't smoke at a low enough temp.

And this is where Your Mileage May Vary comes in. I bought one, the wide
body, at Wal-Mart several years ago. It was my very first smoker, and I
turned out a bunch of decent meat with it for a year or so. Not fantastic,
but decent. I actually had to turn mine up to get it up to 225 F - at its
lowest setting, mine was putting out about 180-200 at the grate. It came
with two grates, but four places to put them, so I called the company and
bought two more. I could load it full with a couple briskets, a pair of pork
shoulders, and still have room to put on a turkey and some ribs in rib racks
late the next day after I'd pulled off one of the roasts.

After a year or so, I went back to Wally World and bought the CharGriller.
Man, what a difference lump charcoal and wood chunks makes. Of course, I had
to dedicate a full day to it, getting up at 5 a.m., not eating until 7 or 8
that night, and had to babysit the fire all day, not able to go anywhere
else or do anything else, constantly checking the temps. A cooler full of
beer helped pass the time.

Did I mention I couldn't go anywhere else or do anything else but bbq that
day? Including honey-do's, running errands, etc. Kinda like a forced
vacation. I'll probably never let go of my CharGriller .

Last weekend, I bought a Traeger, and I've used it every night since. I love
that machine, and it turns out terrific smoked/grilled stuff. Tonight I'm
going to buy a brisket at Costco, season it, refrigerate it overnight, and
put it on the Traeger when I get home from work tomorrow. I've read the
Traeger smokes somewhere around 180-200, so I figure at least 20 hours for
that brisket. I'll let you know how it turns out.

But, back at the OP's request: The GOSM, as it's called (Great Outdoors
Smoky Mountain propane vertical water smoker) worked great for me. I still
have it, but haven't used it in over a year. I doubt I'll be able to
duplicate the tasty results I get with the CharGriller and Trager on a
gasser. But, some day when it's in the '40's overnight and I'm out of Q, I
might just have to fire it up again.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"