Andy

Default Fired as a dishwasher.

True:

I was a dishwasher in my teens. I worked in a French restaurant. The
owner had a morning TV show. He was a big, fat, bossy sob.

One night, he walked back into the kitchen with three bottles of wine
and told me to take the labels off the bottles.

I filled a pail with hot water and soaked the bottles in it for 1/2
hour, then peeled the labels off, tossed them away and sat the bottles
on the shelf to dry.

Later, the owner came in and asked for the labels. I said "you told me
to take the labels off the bottles" and presented him with three fine,
shining wine bottles.

If you recall cartoon characters turning beet red with steam coming out
of their ears, that was the owner.

On payday, I got a check with a note stating "we are no longer in need
of your services."

To this day, I laugh at his stupidity for resting his rare wine label
collection in the hands of a lowly dishwasher.

I think of him whenever I have a glass of house wine! :-P

Cheers,

Andy
Spoons

Hey Andy,

Good story...made me laugh.
Got any more :-)

Take care & Enjoy your wine,
SPOONS

"Andy" > wrote in message
> True:
>
> I was a dishwasher in my teens. I worked in a French restaurant. The
> owner had a morning TV show. He was a big, fat, bossy sob.
>
> One night, he walked back into the kitchen with three bottles of wine
> and told me to take the labels off the bottles.
>
> I filled a pail with hot water and soaked the bottles in it for 1/2
> hour, then peeled the labels off, tossed them away and sat the bottles
> on the shelf to dry.
>
> Later, the owner came in and asked for the labels. I said "you told me
> to take the labels off the bottles" and presented him with three fine,
> shining wine bottles.
>
> If you recall cartoon characters turning beet red with steam coming out
> of their ears, that was the owner.
>
> On payday, I got a check with a note stating "we are no longer in need
> of your services."
>
> To this day, I laugh at his stupidity for resting his rare wine label
> collection in the hands of a lowly dishwasher.
>
> I think of him whenever I have a glass of house wine! :-P
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy

Andy

"Spoons" > wrote in
:

> Hey Andy,
>
> Good story...made me laugh.
> Got any more :-)
>
> Take care & Enjoy your wine,
> SPOONS

Spoons,

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Since you asked, here's another restaurant experience I had.

In Berkeley, CA (after the French Fiasco, about 1977), I got a job as
drinkmaker at The 3C's Cafe. "Continental Crepes and Coffees."

It served up the espresso coffee drinks, giant crepes, teas of the
world, freshsqueezed juice, fruit frappes, cheesecake, etc.

It was a nice little place. The boss was a little absent most of the
time. I used to have to go to the supermarket and buy ham for the
restaurant every day before work for the crepes.

Making the drinks was lots of fun and for about 10 or 15 tables, it was
easy to keep pace.

I remember the crepe cook's name was Brenda. She was a very good crepe
chef! We worked side-by-side in the cramped kitchen.

After a few weeks on the job, she told me that she needed a break at
least once a night and insisted I learn how to make crepes.

She taught me well. It was lots of fun, and I was comfortable with
that. Giving her a break, which she deserved.

Then one day, she never showed up again. Don't know why but I became
the crepe chef and drink maker.

It was hectic. Not to mention that I would constantly overdose on
cappucinos on an almost daily basis. That, combined with eating a
spinach and monterey jack cheese crepe daily. Not good for the system.
Can you say BINDING?!!

I also had to dice two hams, slice up a 40lb block of jack cheese and
making 1/2 dozen cheesecakes after closing! I couldn't shower that sh*t
off on a daily basis.

Still, for a brief moment in time, while wearing my chef's hat, I was
on top of the world, earning minimum wage.

I no longer drink coffee or eat crepes.

Andy
sf

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:54:02 -0600, Andy >
wrote:

> I no longer drink coffee or eat crepes.
>
> Andy

LOL

Your stories are absolutley hyserical - and ring true!

sf