Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike Avery Mike Avery is offline

Default Propane fired smokers

Retired wrote:
> I have been thinking about buying a propane fired smoker. I currently
> have a Black Diamond offset box smoker that I continue to have trouble
> regulating the temperature even though I have made all the
> modifications to it that I can do. The thought that I could set the
> temperature on the smoker and forget it except for adding smoking
> chips while smoking a big beef brisket for twelve hours makes me
> giddy. Any help from someone who has this type of smoker?

I haven't been that thrilled with the barbecue that I've seen come out
of the propane fired cookers. I'd suggest instead getting the
temperatures on the offset cooker under control.

A wireless thermometer like the EZ-73 is a good way to go (forgot the
brand name, even though I have one... but they were discussed here
lately.) Using the thermometer and paying attention to what you're
doing is very instructive. One temp probe is at rack level, the other
is in whatever you're cooking. Last time I barbecued a chicken, I got
the temperature where I wanted it and kept in a reasonable range... for
the first time. (Maybe it was dumb luck.)

Also, you might look at a pit minder or a stoker. The temperature
graphs I've seen are very impressive, even though some people around
here feel that's cheating.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
If it works, tear it apart and find out why!