Old 18-12-2004, 06:07 PM
pennyaline

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" wrote:
I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
OK, I think.

Officially, vodka has no flavor -- just the alcohol afterburn.

And somehow I can't imagine the taste of gin-extracted vanilla would be
very... appealing. You might as well steep it in gasoline, IMHO. Something
smoother and more mellow is required.

Old 18-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
one.

Dave Fouchey

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il

Old 18-12-2004, 06:49 PM
graham

"pete" wrote in message
oups.com...
hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
Graham

Old 18-12-2004, 07:19 PM

how many pods to how much vodka? I would like to try making some
extract. How long do you soak it?

Alkem

Old 19-12-2004, 12:09 AM
pete

because that Real Van seems very expensive,
although i'd like to try it on for taste
i'm going to research making my own

thanks all
pete

Old 19-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Vox Humana

"graham" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"pete" wrote in message
oups.com...
hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
Graham

For the same reason people buy vermeil jewelry with cubic zirconium when
solid gold and diamonds are readily available.

Old 19-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Vox Humana

"graham" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Old 19-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey
wrote:

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

Could do. Thanks.

By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
one.

Cool! Let's see... that makes #16 I think. I keep a running track
of all the "Davidas" I meet or hear about.

(Hm... Dave... Davida - you named her after yourself, didn't you?)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 19-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Vox Humana

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

Could do. Thanks.

You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Old 19-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

Could do. Thanks.

You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Imitation crab? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 49 10-07-2011 09:33 PM
Imitation Pizza & Imitation Bread (with pics) wff_ng_7 General Cooking 4 27-05-2007 06:59 PM
making strawberry ice cream - vanilla extract of vanilla bean? [email protected] General Cooking 5 01-05-2007 02:06 PM
Imitation Food Mojav Restaurants 45 01-01-2004 06:13 AM
Imitation crabmeat Kingman Wylie General Cooking 0 22-10-2003 10:46 PM