Dee Randall

"Jerry" > wrote in message

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:43:14 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

>>"graham" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "pete" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
>>> Graham

>>For the same reason people buy vermeil jewelry with cubic zirconium when
>>solid gold and diamonds are readily available.
>>

> I purchased a 1/4 lb of vanilla beans for $58 (approx 2 doz pods) from
> Atlantic Spice (online at www.atlanticspice.com severlal monts ago. I
> tried a half-dozen slit open pods in a pint of 190 proof grain
> alcohol, and later diluted it with distilled water to about 40%. I let
> it infuse for a bit over 90 days, tipping it over a few times every
> week. I was totally happy with the result. I even made small gifts
> with used airplane liquor bottles, and all who got them have commented
> very favorabl on the result. I've got a second batch going presently.

Now I can understand after reading Vox's url about the possibility of
vanilla toxicity, etc. why one would want to make their own vanilla. Since
price is being discussed here, I might ask if your 6 pods + 190 proof grain
alcohol was a bit cheaper than the same amount of vanilla. Can you use it
teaspoon-for-teaspoon in your recipes?

I've only tasted "white lightnin'" once in my life -- Yikes! I think I
might chose Vodka though.
Thanks.
Dee