Dave Bell

Jerry wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:16:12 -0800, Dave Bell
> > wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 wrote:
>>

>>>So, your cost per ounce is.....? Forgive me if I can't do the
>>>arithmetic - I had a glass of pinor noir with dinner and I can barely
>>>type.

>>If I got this right, it's:
>>
>>24 pods cost $58.
>>Used 6 pods ($14.50) in a pint of 190 proof grain alcohol.
>>I'm guessing that was around $12, but I could be way off.
>>$14.50 + $12 = $26.50 for 16 ounces UNcut. Times 40% = $0.66 per ounce.
>>
>>Not bad.
>>
>>Dave

> Actually, (this is a little embarrassing) the 190 proof stuff here in
> a North Carolna state ABC store sells for about $10/fifth. It's
> straight clear grain alcohol, and I can't imagine how they can sell
> it, but this is moonshine country (who knows). The stuff is so
> flammable, you have to be extrememly cautious when using it anywhere
> near an open flame (better to put out the flame,or risk burning the
> shack down). Can't even imagine some one taking a drink out of the
> bottle. Goes by various inconspicuous brand names.
>
> I also infused the peelings of several oranges in it for a few months,
> and I just add it to dessert foods for flavoring with an eye dropper.
> Goes very well with sugar cookies and such.
>
> !/4 lb is the minimum you can order from this source (atlantic spice),
> so $58 is a lot, but if one got a few more people interested in a well
> split order, each could have some really cheap premium vanilla for
> much less than the retail value (at lesser quality).

I did a little searching just now, and found the following:

http://www.23degreesnorth.com/vanilla.htm
6 pods for $12.95

Not much cheaper, by the pod, but at least it's a small order...

For all I know, the straight grain alcohol is that cheap, here in
yuppie-land California; I haven't bought any in decades!

Dave