Jerry

>Now I can understand after reading Vox's url about the possibility of
>vanilla toxicity, etc. why one would want to make their own vanilla. Since
>price is being discussed here, I might ask if your 6 pods + 190 proof grain
>alcohol was a bit cheaper than the same amount of vanilla. Can you use it
>teaspoon-for-teaspoon in your recipes?

I think this comment is directed to an earlier post I did.

My only use for the homemade vanilla is food preparation.

I only tried my own vanilla extraction out of curiousity and as a
possible project recommendation to my local herb society. Regardless
of toxicity, chemistry or happenstance flavoring foibles, the end
product turned out beyond expectations, and has pleased everyone I
sent it to as a stocking stuffer. Plus I had the thrill and pride of
crafting my own vanilla.

Not being in the vanilla trade I never gave a thought to the cost
efficiency of doing my own extracting. If you have need for concern
with the price of materials, time tradeoff, volume benefits and shelf
life, I would agree that one should purchase retail vanilla with the
best reputation available at $15-20 per 8 oz. container.

I've always preferred being a DIYer--that's just who I am.