Old 17-12-2004, 05:21 PM
pete

Default real Vanilla [or imitation] ?

hi,

i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?

will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
or hot chocolate taste that much better?
i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

thanks
pete

Old 17-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Vox Humana

"pete" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi,

i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?

will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
or hot chocolate taste that much better?
i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

I know this is going to be completely horrifying to most people but I will
say it none-the-less. The folks at Cooks Illustrated did a study of this
subject a few years back and came to the following conclusion. For products
where the flavoring is added prior to baking/cooking/heating, there is no
distinguishable difference between imitation vanilla and real vanilla. For
products where the flavoring is added and no cooking takes place (ice cream,
frosting, etc.), real vanilla is the product of choice. Therefore, I have
both on my shelf. As you point out, you can get about a pint of artificial
vanilla at Costco for about a nickel (OK, I exaggerate a bit here). I would
recommend that you get the large bottle of synthetic vanilla from Costco and
a small bottle of real vanilla. Do a blind taste test and see what you
prefer. I suspect that you won't be able to tell the difference in the
cookies and you may be able to distinguish in the hot chocolate. If you
hate the artificial stuff, give it to someone. You will only be out a
nickel.

Old 17-12-2004, 08:10 PM
The Cook

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The pint bottle of vanilla from Costco (at least the one I bought
about a year ago) is pure vanilla extract.

I was just reading in Alton Brown's new book about vanilla and he
agrees with you and Cook's Illustrated. Since I still have at least
1/2 pint of vanilla left, I will just use it.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Old 17-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Vox Humana

"The Cook" wrote in message
news
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Our Costco sells real vanilla in large and small bottles. The artificial
stuff is so cheap that they only carry it in large bottles.

Old 18-12-2004, 07:25 AM
pete

hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

Old 18-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
"pete" reported:

hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
(relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
got.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il

Old 18-12-2004, 12:20 PM
silentking

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:
(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
"pete" reported:

hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
(relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
got.

Port? I thought to make vanilla extract you should use high quality
vodka and vanilla beans. Unless of course, you want to make a vanilla
infused port for some other baking needs.

Old 18-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Wayne Boatwright

silentking wrote in news:41c41253$0$5292
:

[...]

Bourbon is also commonly used.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Old 18-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Sat, 18
Dec 2004 15:01:06 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
Wayne Boatwright reported:

[...]

I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
OK, I think.

Old 18-12-2004, 05:00 PM
[...]

Imitation crab? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 49 10-07-2011 09:33 PM
Imitation Pizza & Imitation Bread (with pics) wff_ng_7 General Cooking 4 27-05-2007 06:59 PM
making strawberry ice cream - vanilla extract of vanilla bean? [email protected] General Cooking 5 01-05-2007 02:06 PM
Imitation Food Mojav Restaurants 45 01-01-2004 06:13 AM
Imitation crabmeat Kingman Wylie General Cooking 0 22-10-2003 10:46 PM