pete

Default real Vanilla [or imitation] ?

hi,

i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?

will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
or hot chocolate taste that much better?
i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

thanks
pete

Vox Humana

"pete" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> hi,
>
> i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?
>
> will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
> or hot chocolate taste that much better?
> i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

I know this is going to be completely horrifying to most people but I will
say it none-the-less. The folks at Cooks Illustrated did a study of this
subject a few years back and came to the following conclusion. For products
where the flavoring is added prior to baking/cooking/heating, there is no
distinguishable difference between imitation vanilla and real vanilla. For
products where the flavoring is added and no cooking takes place (ice cream,
frosting, etc.), real vanilla is the product of choice. Therefore, I have
both on my shelf. As you point out, you can get about a pint of artificial
vanilla at Costco for about a nickel (OK, I exaggerate a bit here). I would
recommend that you get the large bottle of synthetic vanilla from Costco and
a small bottle of real vanilla. Do a blind taste test and see what you
prefer. I suspect that you won't be able to tell the difference in the
cookies and you may be able to distinguish in the hot chocolate. If you
hate the artificial stuff, give it to someone. You will only be out a
nickel.

The Cook

"Vox Humana" > wrote:

>"pete" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> hi,
>>
>> i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?
>>
>> will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
>> or hot chocolate taste that much better?
>> i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

>I know this is going to be completely horrifying to most people but I will
>say it none-the-less. The folks at Cooks Illustrated did a study of this
>subject a few years back and came to the following conclusion. For products
>where the flavoring is added prior to baking/cooking/heating, there is no
>distinguishable difference between imitation vanilla and real vanilla. For
>products where the flavoring is added and no cooking takes place (ice cream,
>frosting, etc.), real vanilla is the product of choice. Therefore, I have
>both on my shelf. As you point out, you can get about a pint of artificial
>vanilla at Costco for about a nickel (OK, I exaggerate a bit here). I would
>recommend that you get the large bottle of synthetic vanilla from Costco and
>a small bottle of real vanilla. Do a blind taste test and see what you
>prefer. I suspect that you won't be able to tell the difference in the
>cookies and you may be able to distinguish in the hot chocolate. If you
>hate the artificial stuff, give it to someone. You will only be out a
>nickel.

The pint bottle of vanilla from Costco (at least the one I bought
about a year ago) is pure vanilla extract.

I was just reading in Alton Brown's new book about vanilla and he
agrees with you and Cook's Illustrated. Since I still have at least
1/2 pint of vanilla left, I will just use it.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
The Cook

"Vox Humana" > wrote:

>"pete" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> hi,
>>
>> i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?
>>
>> will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
>> or hot chocolate taste that much better?
>> i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

>I know this is going to be completely horrifying to most people but I will
>say it none-the-less. The folks at Cooks Illustrated did a study of this
>subject a few years back and came to the following conclusion. For products
>where the flavoring is added prior to baking/cooking/heating, there is no
>distinguishable difference between imitation vanilla and real vanilla. For
>products where the flavoring is added and no cooking takes place (ice cream,
>frosting, etc.), real vanilla is the product of choice. Therefore, I have
>both on my shelf. As you point out, you can get about a pint of artificial
>vanilla at Costco for about a nickel (OK, I exaggerate a bit here). I would
>recommend that you get the large bottle of synthetic vanilla from Costco and
>a small bottle of real vanilla. Do a blind taste test and see what you
>prefer. I suspect that you won't be able to tell the difference in the
>cookies and you may be able to distinguish in the hot chocolate. If you
>hate the artificial stuff, give it to someone. You will only be out a
>nickel.

The pint bottle of vanilla from Costco (at least the one I bought
about a year ago) is pure vanilla extract.

I was just reading in Alton Brown's new book about vanilla and he
agrees with you and Cook's Illustrated. Since I still have at least
1/2 pint of vanilla left, I will just use it.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Vox Humana

"The Cook" > wrote in message
news
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> >"pete" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?
> >>
> >> will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
> >> or hot chocolate taste that much better?
> >> i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

> >I know this is going to be completely horrifying to most people but I

will
> >say it none-the-less. The folks at Cooks Illustrated did a study of this
> >subject a few years back and came to the following conclusion. For

products
> >where the flavoring is added prior to baking/cooking/heating, there is no
> >distinguishable difference between imitation vanilla and real vanilla.

For
> >products where the flavoring is added and no cooking takes place (ice

cream,
> >frosting, etc.), real vanilla is the product of choice. Therefore, I

have
> >both on my shelf. As you point out, you can get about a pint of

artificial
> >vanilla at Costco for about a nickel (OK, I exaggerate a bit here). I

would
> >recommend that you get the large bottle of synthetic vanilla from Costco

and
> >a small bottle of real vanilla. Do a blind taste test and see what you
> >prefer. I suspect that you won't be able to tell the difference in the
> >cookies and you may be able to distinguish in the hot chocolate. If you
> >hate the artificial stuff, give it to someone. You will only be out a
> >nickel.
> >

> The pint bottle of vanilla from Costco (at least the one I bought
> about a year ago) is pure vanilla extract.
>
> I was just reading in Alton Brown's new book about vanilla and he
> agrees with you and Cook's Illustrated. Since I still have at least
> 1/2 pint of vanilla left, I will just use it.

Our Costco sells real vanilla in large and small bottles. The artificial
stuff is so cheap that they only carry it in large bottles.

Vox Humana

"The Cook" > wrote in message
news
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> >"pete" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?
> >>
> >> will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
> >> or hot chocolate taste that much better?
> >> i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

> >I know this is going to be completely horrifying to most people but I

will
> >say it none-the-less. The folks at Cooks Illustrated did a study of this
> >subject a few years back and came to the following conclusion. For

products
> >where the flavoring is added prior to baking/cooking/heating, there is no
> >distinguishable difference between imitation vanilla and real vanilla.

For
> >products where the flavoring is added and no cooking takes place (ice

cream,
> >frosting, etc.), real vanilla is the product of choice. Therefore, I

have
> >both on my shelf. As you point out, you can get about a pint of

artificial
> >vanilla at Costco for about a nickel (OK, I exaggerate a bit here). I

would
> >recommend that you get the large bottle of synthetic vanilla from Costco

and
> >a small bottle of real vanilla. Do a blind taste test and see what you
> >prefer. I suspect that you won't be able to tell the difference in the
> >cookies and you may be able to distinguish in the hot chocolate. If you
> >hate the artificial stuff, give it to someone. You will only be out a
> >nickel.
> >

> The pint bottle of vanilla from Costco (at least the one I bought
> about a year ago) is pure vanilla extract.
>
> I was just reading in Alton Brown's new book about vanilla and he
> agrees with you and Cook's Illustrated. Since I still have at least
> 1/2 pint of vanilla left, I will just use it.

Our Costco sells real vanilla in large and small bottles. The artificial
stuff is so cheap that they only carry it in large bottles.

pete

hey,

thanks for the tip

there seems to be some logic
to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking

pete

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
"pete" > reported:

>hey,
>
>thanks for the tip
>
>there seems to be some logic
>to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>
>pete

While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
(relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
got.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
"pete" > reported:

>hey,
>
>thanks for the tip
>
>there seems to be some logic
>to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>
>pete

While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
(relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
got.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~

silentking

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:
> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
> 2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
> "pete" > reported:
>

>>hey,
>>
>>thanks for the tip
>>
>>there seems to be some logic
>>to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>>
>>pete

> While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
> vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
> sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
> recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
> (relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
> vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
> got.

Port? I thought to make vanilla extract you should use high quality
vodka and vanilla beans. Unless of course, you want to make a vanilla
infused port for some other baking needs.

Wayne Boatwright

silentking > wrote in news:41c41253$0$5292
:

> Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:
>> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
>> 2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
>> "pete" > reported:
>>

>>>hey,
>>>
>>>thanks for the tip
>>>
>>>there seems to be some logic
>>>to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>>>
>>>pete

>> While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
>> vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
>> sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
>> recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
>> (relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
>> vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
>> got.
>>

> Port? I thought to make vanilla extract you should use high quality
> vodka and vanilla beans. Unless of course, you want to make a vanilla
> infused port for some other baking needs.

Bourbon is also commonly used.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

silentking > wrote in news:41c41253$0$5292
:

> Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:
>> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
>> 2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
>> "pete" > reported:
>>

>>>hey,
>>>
>>>thanks for the tip
>>>
>>>there seems to be some logic
>>>to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>>>
>>>pete

>> While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
>> vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
>> sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
>> recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
>> (relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
>> vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
>> got.
>>

> Port? I thought to make vanilla extract you should use high quality
> vodka and vanilla beans. Unless of course, you want to make a vanilla
> infused port for some other baking needs.

Bourbon is also commonly used.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Sat, 18
Dec 2004 15:01:06 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
Wayne Boatwright > reported:

>silentking > wrote in news:41c41253$0$5292
:

>> Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:
>>> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
>>> 2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
>>> "pete" > reported:

>>> While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
>>> vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
>>> sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
>>> recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
>>> (relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
>>> vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
>>> got.
>>>

>> Port? I thought to make vanilla extract you should use high quality
>> vodka and vanilla beans. Unless of course, you want to make a vanilla
>> infused port for some other baking needs.

>Bourbon is also commonly used.

I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
OK, I think.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Sat, 18
Dec 2004 15:01:06 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
Wayne Boatwright > reported:

>silentking > wrote in news:41c41253$0$5292
:

>> Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady wrote:
>>> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On 17 Dec
>>> 2004 22:25:17 -0800, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
>>> "pete" > reported:

>>> While in general this is true, I have to say that not all artificial
>>> vanillas are alike. Unfortunately, the stuff that I get here is
>>> sometimes so disgusting that it makes even cakes taste lousy. But
>>> recently my health food shop got in vanilla pods that were dirt cheap
>>> (relatively, that is) so I bought a bunch, and will make my own
>>> vanilla extract using one of the pods in some really nice port I've
>>> got.
>>>

>> Port? I thought to make vanilla extract you should use high quality
>> vodka and vanilla beans. Unless of course, you want to make a vanilla
>> infused port for some other baking needs.

>Bourbon is also commonly used.

I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
OK, I think.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~

pennyaline

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" wrote:
> I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
> vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
> OK, I think.

Officially, vodka has no flavor -- just the alcohol afterburn.

And somehow I can't imagine the taste of gin-extracted vanilla would be
very... appealing. You might as well steep it in gasoline, IMHO. Something
smoother and more mellow is required.

pennyaline

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" wrote:
> I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
> vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
> OK, I think.

Officially, vodka has no flavor -- just the alcohol afterburn.

And somehow I can't imagine the taste of gin-extracted vanilla would be
very... appealing. You might as well steep it in gasoline, IMHO. Something
smoother and more mellow is required.

Dave Fouchey

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
one.

Dave Fouchey

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:00:03 +0200, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady
> wrote:

>I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
>vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
>OK, I think.
>
>--
>Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
><davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
>~*~*~*~*~*~

Dave Fouchey

Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
like it.

By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
one.

Dave Fouchey

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:00:03 +0200, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady
> wrote:

>I haven't got any Bourbon and I don't much care for the taste of
>vodka. Might have a touch of gin in the house, though. That would be
>OK, I think.
>
>--
>Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
><davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
>~*~*~*~*~*~

graham

"pete" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> hey,
>
> thanks for the tip
>
> there seems to be some logic
> to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>
> pete

But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
Graham

graham

"pete" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> hey,
>
> thanks for the tip
>
> there seems to be some logic
> to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>
> pete

But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
Graham

how many pods to how much vodka? I would like to try making some
extract. How long do you soak it?

Alkem

pete

because that Real Van seems very expensive,
although i'd like to try it on for taste
i'm going to research making my own

thanks all
pete

Vox Humana

"graham" > wrote in message

> "pete" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > hey,
> >
> > thanks for the tip
> >
> > there seems to be some logic
> > to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
> >
> > pete
> >

> But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
> Graham

For the same reason people buy vermeil jewelry with cubic zirconium when
solid gold and diamonds are readily available.

Vox Humana

"graham" > wrote in message

> "pete" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > hey,
> >
> > thanks for the tip
> >
> > there seems to be some logic
> > to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
> >
> > pete
> >

> But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
> Graham

For the same reason people buy vermeil jewelry with cubic zirconium when
solid gold and diamonds are readily available.

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey >
wrote:

>Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
>a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
>Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
>like it.

Could do. Thanks.

>By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
>one.

Cool! Let's see... that makes #16 I think. I keep a running track
of all the "Davidas" I meet or hear about.

(Hm... Dave... Davida - you named her after yourself, didn't you?)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Vox Humana

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in
message ...
> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey >
> wrote:
>
> >Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
> >a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
> >Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
> >like it.

> Could do. Thanks.

You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Vox Humana

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in
message ...
> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey >
> wrote:
>
> >Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
> >a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
> >Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
> >like it.

> Could do. Thanks.

You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:10:16 +0200, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady
> wrote:

>NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey >
>wrote:
>
>>Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
>>a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
>>Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
>>like it.

>Could do. Thanks.
>
>>By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
>>one.

>Cool! Let's see... that makes #16 I think. I keep a running track
>of all the "Davidas" I meet or hear about.
>
>(Hm... Dave... Davida - you named her after yourself, didn't you?)

No the Wife did, I was embarrassed..;-)

Dave
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:10:16 +0200, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady
> wrote:

>NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey >
>wrote:
>
>>Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
>>a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
>>Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
>>like it.

>Could do. Thanks.
>
>>By the way my eldest Daughter's name is Davida, neat to see another
>>one.

>Cool! Let's see... that makes #16 I think. I keep a running track
>of all the "Davidas" I meet or hear about.
>
>(Hm... Dave... Davida - you named her after yourself, didn't you?)

No the Wife did, I was embarrassed..;-)

Dave
Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:53:46 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in
>message ...
>> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
>> >a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
>> >Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
>> >like it.

>> Could do. Thanks.
>>

>You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
>sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Yup Ever clear is one brand it works ok but seems to be a bit "harsh"
as compared to Vodka.

Dave
Dave Fouchey

wrote:

>"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in
>message ...
>> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:20:49 -0500, Dave Fouchey >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Davida, I use Vodka and Vanilla Beans cut open lengthwise and it does
>> >a marvelous job of making Vanilla Extract with no aftertaste from the
>> >Vodka at all. You might try it with a pint of Vodka and see if you
>> >like it.

>> Could do. Thanks.
>>

>You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
>sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.

Yup Ever clear is one brand it works ok but seems to be a bit "harsh"
as compared to Vodka.

Dave
Dave Bell

Dave Fouchey wrote:

>>You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
>>sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.
>>

> Yup Ever clear is one brand it works ok but seems to be a bit "harsh"
> as compared to Vodka.
>
> Dave

Well, *yeah*, at roughly double the alcohol concentration!
Everclear would be excellent for the extractio, though. I'd start with
the split pean in the straight alcohol, then, after a week or three,
dilute it to (what is vanilla, 35%?) strength with pure water, and leave
it a bit longer, to extract anything not soluble in alcohol.

(another) Dave

Dave Fouchey

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:04:45 GMT, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>Dave Fouchey wrote:
>
>>>You can often buy grain alcohol in liquor stores. Our state liquor agencies
>>>sell it. You could use that instead of vodka.
>>>

>> Yup Ever clear is one brand it works ok but seems to be a bit "harsh"
>> as compared to Vodka.
>>
>> Dave

>Well, *yeah*, at roughly double the alcohol concentration!
>Everclear would be excellent for the extractio, though. I'd start with
>the split pean in the straight alcohol, then, after a week or three,
>dilute it to (what is vanilla, 35%?) strength with pure water, and leave
>it a bit longer, to extract anything not soluble in alcohol.
>
>(another) Dave

No wonder PJ was so potent.....;-) (PJ Grape Juice, Alcohol, other
juices mixed up in a tub and well you can guess the rest...ah college)

Understood on the dilution still there is just "something" about Pure
Grain Alcohol that seems harsh even diluted. By the way I used
charcoal filtered water for dilution.

Dave F.
Dave Bell

Dave Fouchey wrote:

> No wonder PJ was so potent.....;-) (PJ Grape Juice, Alcohol, other
> juices mixed up in a tub and well you can guess the rest...ah college)

Ah, yes... I remember a few parties. Sort of.

> Understood on the dilution still there is just "something" about Pure
> Grain Alcohol that seems harsh even diluted. By the way I used
> charcoal filtered water for dilution.
>
> Dave F.

I agree, it does have a harsher character. And yes, filter the water, or
use distilled or de-ionized...

Dave B.
Jerry

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:43:14 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "pete" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > hey,
>> >
>> > thanks for the tip
>> >
>> > there seems to be some logic
>> > to not using the Real Van if you add it before baking
>> >
>> > pete
>> >

>> But why use artificial when the real stuff is readily available?
>> Graham

>For the same reason people buy vermeil jewelry with cubic zirconium when
>solid gold and diamonds are readily available.

I purchased a 1/4 lb of vanilla beans for $58 (approx 2 doz pods) from
Atlantic Spice (online at www.atlanticspice.com severlal monts ago. I
tried a half-dozen slit open pods in a pint of 190 proof grain
alcohol, and later diluted it with distilled water to about 40%. I let
it infuse for a bit over 90 days, tipping it over a few times every
week. I was totally happy with the result. I even made small gifts
with used airplane liquor bottles, and all who got them have commented
very favorabl on the result. I've got a second batch going presently.
Vox Humana

"Jerry" > wrote in message

> I purchased a 1/4 lb of vanilla beans for $58 (approx 2 doz pods) from
> Atlantic Spice (online at www.atlanticspice.com severlal monts ago. I
> tried a half-dozen slit open pods in a pint of 190 proof grain
> alcohol, and later diluted it with distilled water to about 40%. I let
> it infuse for a bit over 90 days, tipping it over a few times every
> week. I was totally happy with the result. I even made small gifts
> with used airplane liquor bottles, and all who got them have commented
> very favorabl on the result. I've got a second batch going presently.

I'll sent you a Mason jar in a box with return postage!

thanks - I won't buy the real thing anymore - I only use it in baking.
This discussion might do well down the hall in the frugal living ng!!

Imitation crab? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 49 10-07-2011 09:33 PM
Imitation Pizza & Imitation Bread (with pics) wff_ng_7 General Cooking 4 27-05-2007 06:59 PM
making strawberry ice cream - vanilla extract of vanilla bean? [email protected] General Cooking 5 01-05-2007 02:06 PM
Imitation Food Mojav Restaurants 45 01-01-2004 06:13 AM
Imitation crabmeat Kingman Wylie General Cooking 0 22-10-2003 10:46 PM