Raj V

Vox Humana wrote:
> There was a big discussion about Mexican vanilla here a few months back.
> Some people are hesitant to use it because of fear of toxicity. Others
> claim that most imported vanilla from Mexico is actually synthetic.

SNIP

You could be right on both counts. Mr. Flores, the spice shop owner at the
farmer's market told me it was real but who really knows? I am one of those
people who could be fooled. Like with wine. I have to admit I'm not sure I
could tell the difference between a $25 and a $75 bottle of wine. Same with
vanilla, except that stuff from Wisconsin, it was awful.

I've been going to the Flores spice shop for 25 years. A marvelous place
with a marvelous odor. He helps me select different chilies to mix for my
Chili powder. He has a section devoted to folk medicine. Not sure the
efficacy but I tend to believe indigenous medicines may be underrated.

I love the farmer's market. After a hearty breakfast at the restaurant
there, where they serve real biscuits and fresh made sausage, a stroll
through the stalls buying fresh produce tops off a Saturday morning. The
spice shop is a darned interesting place to browse.

Raj
In Houston where it is actually snowing on Christmas eve!!!! Well, not big
flakes, but white cold stuff.

Merry Christmas