Pepper Jelly not setting?

Old 15-08-2005, 02:32 PM
clc
Usenet poster

Default Pepper Jelly not setting?

I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to a
party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was the
first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've tried
making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this recipe and 1
pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over time the jelly
will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked around a possibly
trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any more sugar - the
taste right now is perfect.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Cheryl

Old 15-08-2005, 04:24 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

clc wrote:

I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to a
party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was the
first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've tried
making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this recipe and 1
pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over time the jelly
will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked around a possibly
trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any more sugar - the
taste right now is perfect.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Cheryl

Sometimes if you just dump it into a saucepan and boil it again to
reduce the volume it will set. I've done that a couple of times.

Bob
Old 15-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Anny Middon
Usenet poster

"clc" wrote in message
I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to a
party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was
the first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've
tried making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this
recipe and 1 pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over
time the jelly will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked
around a possibly trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any
more sugar - the taste right now is perfect.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Well, you could take the easy route and decide that what you've go is not a
jelly but a wonderful Pepper Sauce. It could be a green version (I'm
assuming it's green) of that sweet Thai chile sauce, which I find wonderful
on chicken or in a marinade for beef. I think some turkey meatballs
simmered in your pepper sacue would make a killer appetizer -- in fact it
sounds so good to me that I'm thinking of trying it for our block party next
month.

Anny

Old 15-08-2005, 05:56 PM
clc
Usenet poster

"Anny Middon" wrote in message
m...

Well, you could take the easy route and decide that what you've go is not
a jelly but a wonderful Pepper Sauce. It could be a green version (I'm
assuming it's green) of that sweet Thai chile sauce, which I find
wonderful on chicken or in a marinade for beef. I think some turkey
meatballs simmered in your pepper sacue would make a killer appetizer --
in fact it sounds so good to me that I'm thinking of trying it for our
block party next month.

Anny

Actually, I love it (as was presented to me the first time) with cream
cheese atop Town House crackers. Was planning to give these as Christmas
gifts.

Otherwise, a great idea.

Cheryl

Old 15-08-2005, 05:58 PM
clc
Usenet poster

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
clc wrote:

Sometimes if you just dump it into a saucepan and boil it again to reduce
the volume it will set. I've done that a couple of times.

Bob

So, it actually should have reached its "setting capacity" by this time?

Since this is my first time doing jelly (actually, second, but...) is there
a way to tell when it has reached the point where it will set up well
without being rubbery (if I'm redoing using your method)?

Cheryl

Old 19-08-2005, 03:50 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

clc wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

clc wrote:

Sometimes if you just dump it into a saucepan and boil it again to reduce
the volume it will set. I've done that a couple of times.

Bob

So, it actually should have reached its "setting capacity" by this time?

Since this is my first time doing jelly (actually, second, but...) is there
a way to tell when it has reached the point where it will set up well
without being rubbery (if I'm redoing using your method)?

Cheryl

I don't know if the sheeting the jelly off a spoon test works for jelly
made with added pectin. I just boiled it hard and fast until the six
jars of jelly looked like about 5 jars, and when I poured it up, it set
nicely.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 23-08-2005, 09:09 AM
cooksalot
Usenet poster

Gotta watch it. I made some and it didn't set then I went to dump it after
a year and the stuff was like set like rubber. Some times it just takes
time to set if not serve over a block of softened cream cheese with crackers
yum.

Vicky

Old 23-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Melba's Jammin'
Usenet poster

In article 1124784620.11d839ed95f9bf89d6b2335703c37e0e@teran ews,
"cooksalot" wrote:

Gotta watch it. I made some and it didn't set then I went to dump it
after a year and the stuff was like set like rubber. Some times it
just takes time to set if not serve over a block of softened cream
cheese with crackers yum.

Vicky

Hey, stranger! Are you lurking these days? Ever hear from Ma?
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Several notes since 8/18/05
Old 23-08-2005, 08:27 PM
clc
Usenet poster

Actually, that was my exact plan to serve it (as taught by one of the best
jelly/jam makers on this board who once sent me a sample of her
ow-so-delicious pepper/apricot jelly, I believe it was) - however, mine
looked like cream cheese floating in a pond of green...

Cheryl

(See it really hasn't even started to set yet...)

news:1124784620.11d839ed95f9bf89d6b2335703c37e0e@t eranews...

Old 24-08-2005, 12:46 AM
The Joneses
Usenet poster

clc wrote:

Actually, that was my exact plan to serve it (as taught by one of the best
jelly/jam makers on this board who once sent me a sample of her
ow-so-delicious pepper/apricot jelly, I believe it was) - however, mine
looked like cream cheese floating in a pond of green...
Cheryl
(See it really hasn't even started to set yet...)

Oh fabulous, dahlink. You finally did it right and made that wonderful Sweet
Pepper Sauce.
Goes right along with my fabulous three layer jam. Sometimes it just comes
together perfectly with a layer of foam, layer of fruit, and a layer of jelly.
;
Edrena

Request: veggie dish that works served not-hot Vicky Conlan Vegetarian cooking 6 15-08-2005 09:39 PM
ROASTED YELLOW PEPPER SOUP AND ROASTED TOMATO SOUP WITH SERRANO CREAM Hahabogus Diabetic 0 03-10-2004 02:40 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 6/7 Henriette Kress Preserving 0 30-10-2003 12:18 PM
Quince jam Ellen Wickberg Preserving 8 28-10-2003 12:27 AM
Red Bell Pepper Mousse (3) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 18-10-2003 03:24 AM