clc

Default Pepper Jelly not setting?

I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to a
party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was the
first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've tried
making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this recipe and 1
pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over time the jelly
will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked around a possibly
trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any more sugar - the
taste right now is perfect.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Cheryl

zxcvbob

clc wrote:

> I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to a
> party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was the
> first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've tried
> making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this recipe and 1
> pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over time the jelly
> will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked around a possibly
> trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any more sugar - the
> taste right now is perfect.
>
> Any ideas/recommendations?
>
> Cheryl

Sometimes if you just dump it into a saucepan and boil it again to
reduce the volume it will set. I've done that a couple of times.

Bob
Anny Middon

"clc" > wrote in message
>I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to a
>party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was
>the first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've
>tried making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this
>recipe and 1 pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over
>time the jelly will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked
>around a possibly trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any
>more sugar - the taste right now is perfect.
>
> Any ideas/recommendations?

Well, you could take the easy route and decide that what you've go is not a
jelly but a wonderful Pepper Sauce. It could be a green version (I'm
assuming it's green) of that sweet Thai chile sauce, which I find wonderful
on chicken or in a marinade for beef. I think some turkey meatballs
simmered in your pepper sacue would make a killer appetizer -- in fact it
sounds so good to me that I'm thinking of trying it for our block party next
month.

Anny

clc

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
m...

> Well, you could take the easy route and decide that what you've go is not
> a jelly but a wonderful Pepper Sauce. It could be a green version (I'm
> assuming it's green) of that sweet Thai chile sauce, which I find
> wonderful on chicken or in a marinade for beef. I think some turkey
> meatballs simmered in your pepper sacue would make a killer appetizer --
> in fact it sounds so good to me that I'm thinking of trying it for our
> block party next month.
>
> Anny

Actually, I love it (as was presented to me the first time) with cream
cheese atop Town House crackers. Was planning to give these as Christmas
gifts.

Otherwise, a great idea.

Cheryl

clc

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> clc wrote:

> Sometimes if you just dump it into a saucepan and boil it again to reduce
> the volume it will set. I've done that a couple of times.
>
> Bob

So, it actually should have reached its "setting capacity" by this time?

Since this is my first time doing jelly (actually, second, but...) is there
a way to tell when it has reached the point where it will set up well
without being rubbery (if I'm redoing using your method)?

Cheryl

zxcvbob

clc wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>clc wrote:

>>Sometimes if you just dump it into a saucepan and boil it again to reduce
>>the volume it will set. I've done that a couple of times.
>>
>>Bob

> So, it actually should have reached its "setting capacity" by this time?
>
> Since this is my first time doing jelly (actually, second, but...) is there
> a way to tell when it has reached the point where it will set up well
> without being rubbery (if I'm redoing using your method)?
>
> Cheryl

I don't know if the sheeting the jelly off a spoon test works for jelly
made with added pectin. I just boiled it hard and fast until the six
jars of jelly looked like about 5 jars, and when I poured it up, it set
nicely.

Best regards,
Bob

cooksalot

Gotta watch it. I made some and it didn't set then I went to dump it after
a year and the stuff was like set like rubber. Some times it just takes
time to set if not serve over a block of softened cream cheese with crackers
yum.

Vicky
"clc" > wrote in message
>I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to a
>party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was
>the first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've
>tried making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this
>recipe and 1 pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over
>time the jelly will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked
>around a possibly trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any
>more sugar - the taste right now is perfect.
>
> Any ideas/recommendations?
>
> Cheryl

Melba's Jammin'

In article <1124784620.11d839ed95f9bf89d6b2335703c37e0e@teran ews>,
"cooksalot" > wrote:

> Gotta watch it. I made some and it didn't set then I went to dump it
> after a year and the stuff was like set like rubber. Some times it
> just takes time to set if not serve over a block of softened cream
> cheese with crackers yum.

> Vicky

Hey, stranger! Are you lurking these days? Ever hear from Ma?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
clc

Actually, that was my exact plan to serve it (as taught by one of the best
jelly/jam makers on this board who once sent me a sample of her
ow-so-delicious pepper/apricot jelly, I believe it was) - however, mine
looked like cream cheese floating in a pond of green...

Cheryl

(See it really hasn't even started to set yet...)

"cooksalot" > wrote in message
news:1124784620.11d839ed95f9bf89d6b2335703c37e0e@t eranews...
> Gotta watch it. I made some and it didn't set then I went to dump it
> after a year and the stuff was like set like rubber. Some times it just
> takes time to set if not serve over a block of softened cream cheese with
> crackers yum.
>
> Vicky
> "clc" > wrote in message
>>I made my second batch of pepper jelly a week or so ago and took a jar to
>>a party over the weekend and it doesn't appear to be setting up. This was
>>the first time I've used the liquid pectin, and only the second time I've
>>tried making jelly. I used just a bit over 2 cups of peppers in this
>>recipe and 1 pouch of the pectin - was this correct? Do you think over
>>time the jelly will set up, or is it a lost cause? I've kinda looked
>>around a possibly trying to "redo" the jelly, but can't imagine adding any
>>more sugar - the taste right now is perfect.
>>
>> Any ideas/recommendations?
>>
>> Cheryl

The Joneses

clc wrote:

> Actually, that was my exact plan to serve it (as taught by one of the best
> jelly/jam makers on this board who once sent me a sample of her
> ow-so-delicious pepper/apricot jelly, I believe it was) - however, mine
> looked like cream cheese floating in a pond of green...
> Cheryl
> (See it really hasn't even started to set yet...)

Oh fabulous, dahlink. You finally did it right and made that wonderful Sweet
Pepper Sauce.
Goes right along with my fabulous three layer jam. Sometimes it just comes
together perfectly with a layer of foam, layer of fruit, and a layer of jelly.
;
Edrena

jelly setting [email protected] General Cooking 5 19-06-2014 04:08 AM
Hot Red Pepper Jelly..... really hot Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 7 02-05-2011 02:03 AM
Hot Red Pepper Jelly Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 20 26-07-2008 02:54 PM
Hot Pepper Jelly Tim Recipes 0 24-07-2005 12:54 PM
Hot Red Pepper Jelly! sandy General Cooking 2 22-06-2004 10:24 PM