Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot Red Pepper Jelly..... really hot

I screwed up big time today and it could get worse. I was out of hot
red pepper jelly so it was time to make some more. My recipe calls for
3-4 small hot red peppers and 2-3 red or green bell peppers. The first
time I made this recipe the peppers were not hot enough. The last time
it worked our perfectly. Yesterday there were no hot red peppers like
the last batch, so I tried Scotch Bonnets.

I knew that Scotch Bonnets are really hot, but these weer small. I used
five of them. Then I added two Jalapenos, which are a little more
flavourful but not really hot.

Holy snappers this stuff is hot!!!!

To make matters worse, I used a large pot, but not large enough. I
realized that it was likely to boil over do I was getting a larger pot.
Too late. She boiled over. There was sticky hot liquid all over the
glass stove top. Thanks to the sugar, it started smoking. You could use
that smoke for riot control. I opened all the windows, turned on the
exhaust fan and vacate the house for 15 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
>I screwed up big time today and it could get worse. I was out of hot red
>pepper jelly so it was time to make some more. My recipe calls for 3-4
>small hot red peppers and 2-3 red or green bell peppers. The first time I
>made this recipe the peppers were not hot enough. The last time it worked
>our perfectly. Yesterday there were no hot red peppers like the last batch,
>so I tried Scotch Bonnets.
>
> I knew that Scotch Bonnets are really hot, but these weer small. I used
> five of them. Then I added two Jalapenos, which are a little more
> flavourful but not really hot.
>
> Holy snappers this stuff is hot!!!!
>
> To make matters worse, I used a large pot, but not large enough. I
> realized that it was likely to boil over do I was getting a larger pot.
> Too late. She boiled over. There was sticky hot liquid all over the glass
> stove top. Thanks to the sugar, it started smoking. You could use that
> smoke for riot control. I opened all the windows, turned on the exhaust
> fan and vacate the house for 15 minutes.

Thank you for the warning, Dave. Our glass stove top is about 2 years old
and I've not had a boil-over yet. Didn't realize what a calamity it would
cause. Note to Dave: when you see a pot fixin' to boil over, pick it up.
That will instantly give you time to move to a bigger pot or whatever seems
appropriate.
OTOH, I have set off every smoke alarm in the neighborhood with the
microwave. There is a fine line, a very fine line, in making a roux in the
MW between just right and Hell's Bells. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/04/2011 11:11 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

>> To make matters worse, I used a large pot, but not large enough. I
>> realized that it was likely to boil over do I was getting a larger pot.
>> Too late. She boiled over. There was sticky hot liquid all over the
>> glass stove top. Thanks to the sugar, it started smoking. You could
>> use that smoke for riot control. I opened all the windows, turned on
>> the exhaust fan and vacate the house for 15 minutes.

> Thank you for the warning, Dave. Our glass stove top is about 2 years
> old and I've not had a boil-over yet. Didn't realize what a calamity it
> would cause.

It wasn`t so much the glass stove top itself that was the problem. Sure,
it made a sticky mess, but it was that sugar burning on the burner....
and the hot pepper in the air. It was like mace. I couldn`t breath in
the kitchen.

.. Note to Dave: when you see a pot fixin' to boil over, pick
> it up. That will instantly give you time to move to a bigger pot or
> whatever seems appropriate.

I dropped the ball there. I had seen it rising and knew I had to get a
larger pot. I took it off the burner for a moment while the mixture
settled and then put it back on while I reached down to get the other
pot. I didn`t think it would boil over that quickly. Since I was making
jelly I didn`t want to throw off the cooking time too much. I have
enough trouble with this recipe setting properly.

However.... I am happy to report that the stuff ended set up nicely and
tried some on crackers with cream cheese and it`s pretty good. It is
not as hot as thought it was going to be.

One not for future reference.... when working with Scotch bonnets I
would recommend rubber gloves. I never used them for the hot red peppers
I usually use. I didn`t need them. It is now more than 6 hours since I
cut up those SBs and scrapped the seeds out. My hands are still hot. I
am happy to say that I have not rubbed my eyes. Been there, done
that.Never again.

> OTOH, I have set off every smoke alarm in the neighborhood with the
> microwave. There is a fine line, a very fine line, in making a roux in
> the MW between just right and Hell's Bells. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I screwed up big time today and it could get worse. I was out of hot red
> pepper jelly so it was time to make some more. My recipe calls for 3-4
> small hot red peppers and 2-3 red or green bell peppers. The first time I
> made this recipe the peppers were not hot enough. The last time it worked
> our perfectly. Yesterday there were no hot red peppers like the last
> batch, so I tried Scotch Bonnets.
>
> I knew that Scotch Bonnets are really hot, but these weer small. I used
> five of them. Then I added two Jalapenos, which are a little more
> flavourful but not really hot.
>
> Holy snappers this stuff is hot!!!!
>
> To make matters worse, I used a large pot, but not large enough. I
> realized that it was likely to boil over do I was getting a larger pot.
> Too late. She boiled over. There was sticky hot liquid all over the glass
> stove top. Thanks to the sugar, it started smoking. You could use that
> smoke for riot control. I opened all the windows, turned on the exhaust
> fan and vacate the house for 15 minutes.

Give the jelly to your big niece! Or just leave it lying around the house
when she comes over... <eg>

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
says...

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I screwed up big time today and it could get worse. I was out of hot red
> > pepper jelly so it was time to make some more. My recipe calls for 3-4
> > small hot red peppers and 2-3 red or green bell peppers. The first time I
> > made this recipe the peppers were not hot enough. The last time it worked
> > our perfectly. Yesterday there were no hot red peppers like the last
> > batch, so I tried Scotch Bonnets.
> >
> > I knew that Scotch Bonnets are really hot, but these weer small. I used
> > five of them. Then I added two Jalapenos, which are a little more
> > flavourful but not really hot.
> >
> > Holy snappers this stuff is hot!!!!
> >
> > To make matters worse, I used a large pot, but not large enough. I
> > realized that it was likely to boil over do I was getting a larger pot.
> > Too late. She boiled over. There was sticky hot liquid all over the glass
> > stove top. Thanks to the sugar, it started smoking. You could use that
> > smoke for riot control. I opened all the windows, turned on the exhaust
> > fan and vacate the house for 15 minutes.

> Give the jelly to your big niece! Or just leave it lying around the house
> when she comes over... <eg>

Worked for me once. Had a moocher, one day I made a pot of chili right
at my limit--never saw him again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/05/2011 11:10 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In raweb.com>,
>
>>> To make matters worse, I used a large pot, but not large enough. I
>>> realized that it was likely to boil over do I was getting a larger pot.
>>> Too late. She boiled over. There was sticky hot liquid all over the glass
>>> stove top. Thanks to the sugar, it started smoking. You could use that
>>> smoke for riot control. I opened all the windows, turned on the exhaust
>>> fan and vacate the house for 15 minutes.

>> Give the jelly to your big niece! Or just leave it lying around the house
>> when she comes over...<eg>

> Worked for me once. Had a moocher, one day I made a pot of chili right
> at my limit--never saw him again.

My worries were unfounded. I originally tasted it off my fingers before
cooking. I just dipped the tip of my finger into the pureed pepper,
sugar and cider vinegar mixture before it was cooked. It was way too
hot. When it boiled over and burned I had to vacate the kitchen and air
out the house because I could not breathe. It was crowd control
material. After it was cooked and set I had some on crackers and cream
cheese. It is pretty good. It is hot, but not too hot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:03:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I screwed up big time today and it could get worse. I was out of hot
>red pepper jelly so it was time to make some more. My recipe calls for
>3-4 small hot red peppers and 2-3 red or green bell peppers. The first
>time I made this recipe the peppers were not hot enough. The last time
>it worked our perfectly. Yesterday there were no hot red peppers like
>the last batch, so I tried Scotch Bonnets.
>
>I knew that Scotch Bonnets are really hot, but these weer small. I used
>five of them. Then I added two Jalapenos, which are a little more
>flavourful but not really hot.
>
>Holy snappers this stuff is hot!!!!
>
>To make matters worse, I used a large pot, but not large enough. I
>realized that it was likely to boil over do I was getting a larger pot.
>Too late. She boiled over. There was sticky hot liquid all over the
>glass stove top. Thanks to the sugar, it started smoking. You could use
>that smoke for riot control. I opened all the windows, turned on the
>exhaust fan and vacate the house for 15 minutes.

Holy capsium batman, be careful.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Hot Red Pepper Jelly Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 19 28-09-2012 02:12 PM
Red Pepper Jelly gloria p Preserving 1 10-09-2012 11:14 PM
Using Pepper Jelly Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 20 27-11-2007 05:30 AM
Hot Pepper Jelly Tim Recipes 0 24-07-2005 12:54 PM
Hot Red Pepper Jelly! sandy General Cooking 2 22-06-2004 10:24 PM