Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default jelly setting

new to jelly making. first batch didn't set. tried reprocessing according to pick your own .org still no success but wonderful blackberry syrup.
Recip.
1 box sure-jel,
3.5 cups wild blackberry juice
5 cups sugar.
rolling boil for 1 minute.

any ideas before I make the same mistake twice? if it sets up like cement it would be fine with me.
Thanks,
Mike B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> new to jelly making. first batch didn't set. tried reprocessing according
> to pick your own .org still no success but wonderful blackberry syrup.
> Recip.
> 1 box sure-jel,
> 3.5 cups wild blackberry juice
> 5 cups sugar.
> rolling boil for 1 minute.
>
> any ideas before I make the same mistake twice? if it sets up like cement
> it would be fine with me.
> Thanks,
> Mike B.

1 minute doesn't seem long enough. And are you sure that the Sure-Jel was
fresh?

This recipe uses Sure-Jel. It says to bring it to a full rolling boil, then
stir in the sugar, then bring it back to a boil and boil for a minute.

http://www.food.com/recipe/blackberry-jelly-120915

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pretty sure the sure gel is fresh but I'll certainly check before the next batch. I think you may be on to something with the processing. my instructions are very vague and it was just dump it all together and boil for 1min. later instructions said bring it back to a boil which made no sense. part of the troubleshooting said be careful of under or over cooking the pectin. thanks for the pointer and info now its off to the berry patch
Mike B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
pretty sure the sure gel is fresh but I'll certainly check before the next
batch. I think you may be on to something with the processing. my
instructions are very vague and it was just dump it all together and boil
for 1min. later instructions said bring it back to a boil which made no
sense. part of the troubleshooting said be careful of under or over cooking
the pectin. thanks for the pointer and info now its off to the berry patch
Mike B.

---

I tend to boil things for longer than it says to do.

Well, an evening fog is setting in and---- nancree General Cooking 5 25-12-2005 04:41 AM
Sugar and Setting Jark Preserving 0 13-12-2005 12:00 AM
Pepper Jelly not setting? clc Preserving 9 24-08-2005 12:46 AM
Setting the table Kamus of Kadizhar General Cooking 0 19-06-2004 01:06 PM
Setting up a bar? Simmo Barbecue 0 18-01-2004 03:45 PM