Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot Red Pepper Jelly

I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
got around to it today. I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red Bell
peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the bottles and
went at it.

It turned out great. It has a nice taste to it and a nice hot bite. This
is a keeper for me. Now that I know how good it easy and how easy it is
to make I won't be buying any more. It will be home made all the way.

Hot Pepper Jelly
2 to 3 small green bell peppers
2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
Certo liquid fruit pectin
6 1/2 cups sugar
red or green food coloring (opt)
1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 24, 6:09*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
> got around to it today. *I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red Bell
> peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the bottles and
> went at it.
>
> It turned out great. It has a nice taste to it and a nice hot bite. This
> is a keeper for me. *Now that I know how good it easy and how easy it is
> to make I won't be buying any more. It will be home made all the way.
>
> Hot Pepper Jelly
> 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
> 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> Certo liquid fruit pectin
> 6 1/2 cups sugar
> red or green food coloring (opt)
> 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
>
> Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
> in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
> add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
> hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
> peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
> add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
> into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints..

I really like jalapeño jelly but I've never made any kind of jelly.
Is that quantity/ratio of sugar in the normal range? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> > Hot Pepper Jelly
> > 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> > 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
> > 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> > Certo liquid fruit pectin
> > 6 1/2 cups sugar
> > red or green food coloring (opt)
> > 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> >
> > Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
> > in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
> > add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
> > hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
> > peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
> > add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
> > into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.

> I really like jalapeño jelly but I've never made any kind of jelly.
> Is that quantity/ratio of sugar in the normal range? -aem

It is in the range for a batch of most types of jams and jellies. It is the
amount of Certo that is unusual, probably to balance with the extra liquid from
the vinegar <?>,.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> aem wrote:
>

>> > Hot Pepper Jelly
>> > 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
>> > 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
>> > 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
>> > Certo liquid fruit pectin
>> > 6 1/2 cups sugar
>> > red or green food coloring (opt)
>> > 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
>> >
>> > Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
>> > in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
>> > add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
>> > hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
>> > peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
>> > add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
>> > into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.

>> I really like jalapeño jelly but I've never made any kind of jelly.
>> Is that quantity/ratio of sugar in the normal range? -aem

> It is in the range for a batch of most types of jams and jellies. It is the
> amount of Certo that is unusual, probably to balance with the extra liquid from
> the vinegar <?>,.

I wasn't able to *find* a measurement in the recipe for Certo. What am I
missing, here. I'm not a canner.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
> got around to it today. I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red Bell
> peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the bottles and
> went at it.
>
> It turned out great. It has a nice taste to it and a nice hot bite. This
> is a keeper for me. Now that I know how good it easy and how easy it is
> to make I won't be buying any more. It will be home made all the way.
>
> Hot Pepper Jelly
> 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle

Of what? Or, are these the empties you fill with the
recipe when done?

> 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> Certo liquid fruit pectin
> 6 1/2 cups sugar
> red or green food coloring (opt)
> 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
>
> Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
> in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
> add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
> hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
> peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
> add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
> into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I wasn't able to *find* a measurement in the recipe for Certo. What am I
> missing, here. I'm not a canner.

It's probably a couple lines above, the two
pouches or one bottle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't able to *find* a measurement in the recipe for Certo. What am I
>> missing, here. I'm not a canner.

> It's probably a couple lines above, the two
> pouches or one bottle.

Okay.

Listed on a separate line, like that, and with other items between that
and the Certo:

<q>

2 to 3 small green bell peppers
2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
Certo liquid fruit pectin

<q>

I figured "2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle" referred to what you'd put
the final product in. I didn't think to compare that to the yield stated
in the last line of the directions.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

> >> I really like jalapeño jelly but I've never made any kind of jelly.
> >> Is that quantity/ratio of sugar in the normal range? -aem

> > It is in the range for a batch of most types of jams and jellies. It is the
> > amount of Certo that is unusual, probably to balance with the extra liquid from
> > the vinegar <?>,.

> I wasn't able to *find* a measurement in the recipe for Certo. What am I
> missing, here. I'm not a canner.

I think it was written in code. The fifth line says Certo but two lines above that it
says 2 (3 0z) pouches or 1 (6 0z) bottle.

I think it was a typo. I cut and pasted the entire recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Jul 24, 6:09*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
> > got around to it today. *I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red Bell
> > peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the bottles and
> > went at it.
> >
> > It turned out great. It has a nice taste to it and a nice hot bite. This
> > is a keeper for me. *Now that I know how good it easy and how easy it is
> > to make I won't be buying any more. It will be home made all the way.
> >
> > Hot Pepper Jelly
> > 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> > 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
> > 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> > Certo liquid fruit pectin
> > 6 1/2 cups sugar
> > red or green food coloring (opt)
> > 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> >
> > Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
> > in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
> > add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
> > hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
> > peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
> > add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
> > into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.

> I really like jalapeño jelly but I've never made any kind of jelly.
> Is that quantity/ratio of sugar in the normal range? -aem

It is; that's a lot of vinegar to sweeten up and that is the nature of
pepper jelly -- sweet-sour and hot. And the peppers are pretty much
low-no pectin and if you taste the Certo, it, too, is sour. Six and a
half cups looks right.

And there's a line glitch in the recipe. It should look like this:
2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle Certo liquid fruit pectin.

Note that Certo doesn't come in bottles anymore -- not for the last 30
years or so. It comes in two foil pouches per box.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> It is in the range for a batch of most types of jams and jellies. It is the
> amount of Certo that is unusual, probably to balance with the extra liquid
> from the vinegar <?>,.

No. It is not unusual for jelly recipes to require the full 6 ounces
of liquid pectin, though some jelly recipes will use one; jam recipes
usually require only one pouch, though a couple want two.

We're talking liquid pectin, not powder. They are not interchangeable;
each version has its own recipes and measures. And the method is
different, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

(snipped)

> I wasn't able to *find* a measurement in the recipe for Certo. What am I
> missing, here. I'm not a canner.

It's printed wrong. It should say two 3-ounce pouches of Certo (or Ball
brand) liquid fruit pectin. Somehow the peppers got in the middle. I
added Ball brand because it's about 2/3 the cost of Certo. I use Ball
pectins almost exclusively because of cost.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> > 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle

> Of what? Or, are these the empties you fill with the
> recipe when done?
>
> > 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> > Certo liquid fruit pectin

Poor formatting of the recipe, Mark.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
> got around to it today. I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red Bell
> peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the bottles and
> went at it.
>
> It turned out great. It has a nice taste to it and a nice hot bite. This
> is a keeper for me. Now that I know how good it easy and how easy it is
> to make I won't be buying any more. It will be home made all the way.

> Hot Pepper Jelly

(snip)
> into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.

I hope you processed them in a boiling water bath instead of inverting
them. If you've never done canning, know that the boiling water bath
isn't difficult, especially since I assume you've already cooked your
empty jars in water. If you've never canned, get into the habit early
of waterbath processing.

I don't know if the Certo leaflets are still offering the inversion
method as an option for sealing; the NCHFP (www. uga.edu/nchfp)
recommends the waterbath. If you need help, rec.food.preserving is the
place.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does that limited amount of ingredients really end up as 3.5 pints ?
(which I've just converted to 2.8 imp pints or 1.3 litres), I'm surprised

Steve

Dave Smith wrote:

> Hot Pepper Jelly
> 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle Certo liquid fruit pectin
> 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> 6 1/2 cups sugar
> red or green food coloring (opt)
> 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:49:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>(snipped)

>> I wasn't able to *find* a measurement in the recipe for Certo. What am I
>> missing, here. I'm not a canner.

>It's printed wrong. It should say two 3-ounce pouches of Certo (or Ball
>brand) liquid fruit pectin. Somehow the peppers got in the middle. I
>added Ball brand because it's about 2/3 the cost of Certo. I use Ball
>pectins almost exclusively because of cost.

And the fact that you can't qualify for the top prizes at the fair if
you don't use it. That and they have been putting coupons in the
pectin boxes for $.50 off your next purchase.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
> got around to it today. I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red
> Bell peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the
> bottles and went at it.

My brother makes it with Habeneros.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I hope you processed them in a boiling water bath instead of inverting
> them. If you've never done canning, know that the boiling water bath
> isn't difficult, especially since I assume you've already cooked your
> empty jars in water. If you've never canned, get into the habit early
> of waterbath processing.

I have been making jams and jellies for years. I wash my bottles and lids and
then stick the jars in a 300 degree oven while I am preparing the jam. Lids and
rings go onto a pot of boiling water. I haven't got sick from any of my jams.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:

> Does that limited amount of ingredients really end up as 3.5 pints ?
> (which I've just converted to 2.8 imp pints or 1.3 litres), I'm surprised

I got 4 half pint and two pint jars of jelly out of it..... 4 pints
altogether.

> Steve
>
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Hot Pepper Jelly
> > 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> > 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle Certo liquid fruit pectin
> > 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> > 6 1/2 cups sugar
> > red or green food coloring (opt)
> > 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Jul 2008 22:25:04 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
>> got around to it today. I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red
>> Bell peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the
>> bottles and went at it.

>My brother makes it with Habeneros.

Try it using white wine (Chardonnay) instead of vinegar. OY! What a
difference!

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:47:13 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> It is in the range for a batch of most types of jams and jellies. It is the
>> amount of Certo that is unusual, probably to balance with the extra liquid
>> from the vinegar <?>,.

>No. It is not unusual for jelly recipes to require the full 6 ounces
>of liquid pectin, though some jelly recipes will use one; jam recipes
>usually require only one pouch, though a couple want two.
>
>We're talking liquid pectin, not powder. They are not interchangeable;
>each version has its own recipes and measures. And the method is
>different, too.

why aren't you jumping on him to process it?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Y > wrote:

> Does that limited amount of ingredients really end up as 3.5 pints ?
> (which I've just converted to 2.8 imp pints or 1.3 litres), I'm surprised
>

> Steve
>

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Hot Pepper Jelly
> > 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> > 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle Certo liquid fruit pectin
> > 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> > 6 1/2 cups sugar
> > red or green food coloring (opt)
> > 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

It looks reasonable to me. There's a lot of sugar to make the volume,
plus the pepper sludge.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene

Hot Red Pepper Jelly Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 19 28-09-2012 02:12 PM
Red Pepper Jelly gloria p Preserving 1 10-09-2012 11:14 PM
Using Pepper Jelly Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 20 27-11-2007 06:30 AM
Hot Pepper Jelly Tim Recipes 0 24-07-2005 12:54 PM
Hot Red Pepper Jelly! sandy General Cooking 2 22-06-2004 10:24 PM