Best oil for French Fries?

Old 15-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Usenet poster

Default Best oil for French Fries?

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.
Old 15-03-2004, 05:10 AM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Default wrote:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

"Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil would be mineral
oil. It also does not get rancid, so you could filter and reuse it over
and over. HTH :-)

Bob

Old 15-03-2004, 05:45 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
wrote:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
want something with a high smoke point and very little
flavor to impart.

Old 15-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote in
:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's
healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

"Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil would be
mineral oil. It also does not get rancid, so you could filter and
reuse it over and over. HTH :-)

Bob

Surely you're not serious. The OP would probably shit himself to death!

Old 15-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

sf wrote in
:

wrote:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea
what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
want something with a high smoke point and very little
flavor to impart.

When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that had the most
remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how they made them, we learned
that they used peanut oil and changed the oil in their fryers daily.

Wayne

Old 15-03-2004, 11:07 AM
hahabogus
Usenet poster

Dog3 dognospam@adjfkdla;not wrote in
4:

Default deliciously posted in
:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's
healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or recycle the oil.

Michael

I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made them more often I
used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their
friends) liked them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Old 15-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Goomba38
Usenet poster

hahabogus wrote:

I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made them more often I
used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their
friends) liked them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

Did you cut your own potatoes or use frozen ones?
Goomba