Old 15-03-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Best oil for French Fries?

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

Old 15-03-2004, 05:10 AM
zxcvbob

Default wrote:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

"Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil would be mineral
oil. It also does not get rancid, so you could filter and reuse it over
and over. HTH :-)

Bob

Old 15-03-2004, 05:45 AM
sf

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
wrote:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
want something with a high smoke point and very little
flavor to impart.

Old 15-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Wayne Boatwright

zxcvbob wrote in
:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's
healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

"Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil would be
mineral oil. It also does not get rancid, so you could filter and
reuse it over and over. HTH :-)

Bob

Surely you're not serious. The OP would probably shit himself to death!

Old 15-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Wayne Boatwright

sf wrote in
:

wrote:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea
what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
want something with a high smoke point and very little
flavor to impart.

When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that had the most
remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how they made them, we learned
that they used peanut oil and changed the oil in their fryers daily.

Wayne

Old 15-03-2004, 11:07 AM
hahabogus

Dog3 [email protected];not wrote in
4:

Default deliciously posted in
:

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's
healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or recycle the oil.

Michael

I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made them more often I
used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their
friends) liked them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Old 15-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Goomba38

hahabogus wrote:

I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made them more often I
used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their
friends) liked them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

Did you cut your own potatoes or use frozen ones?
Goomba

Old 15-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Goomba38

hahabogus wrote:

I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made them more often I
used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their
friends) liked them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

Did you cut your own potatoes or use frozen ones?
Goomba

Natural Cut French Fries Jerry Avins General Cooking 1 01-07-2011 06:40 PM
Natural Cut French Fries Jerry Avins General Cooking 1 01-07-2011 07:17 AM
Natural Cut French Fries Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 1 29-06-2011 05:55 AM
French Fries Moe Jones Barbecue 19 27-09-2007 05:16 AM
Do French people eat French Fries and French Toast ? Puester General Cooking 2 17-02-2005 05:22 AM