Old 13-09-2007, 02:55 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default French Fries

Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make some
homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted some
feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Old 13-09-2007, 03:03 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Moe Jones wrote:
Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make some
homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted some
feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

Two questions:

1. How were they not too your liking? Too soggy? not brown enough?

2. Why did you put them in the freezer?

Abby

--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/
Old 13-09-2007, 03:14 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'm curious about the freezer part as well.
Here's how I do mine, and I've used russets.

Pour oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to reach halfway
up the sides of the pan. Heat to 325 degrees F, use a deep
fry thermometer to determine this. While the oil is heating,
peel the potatoes and push through a French fry cutter to
form uniform sticks. As you go, place the cut potatoes in a
bowl of ice water to release some of the starch and to keep
them from browning.
Dry the potato strips thoroughly, this will keep the oil
from splattering. Fry the potatoes in batches so the pan
isn't crowded and the oil temperature does not plummet. Cook
for 3 minutes until they are soft but not browned. Remove
the potatoes with a long-handled metal strainer and drain on
brown paper bags.

Bring oil temperature up to 375 degrees F. Return the
par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second
time for 4 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on fresh
brown paper bags then place in a serving bowl lined with
paper towels. Salt and serve immediately.

the "in batches" is key. If you put too many into the
pan/fryer at once, the temperature will plummet and you'll
end up with a very greasy result.

--
Steve
Old 13-09-2007, 03:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Sep-2007, "Moe Jones" wrote:

Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make some
homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted some
feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

--
Moe Jones

Personally, I prefer the double fry method for preparing french fries
from Russet potatoes.

But do this;

Google "russet french fries" and check out the first few articles.
Everything you ever wanted to know about "French Fries" and
more.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Old 13-09-2007, 04:50 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Moe Jones wrote:
Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make
some homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted
some feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

Thank you all for the replies. I believe I will user the double fry method
next time.

About putting them in the freezer, I read that after you remove most of the
starch after rising in the water, if you pop them in the freezer for a short
time that the fries cook more evenly.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Old 13-09-2007, 05:26 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make some
homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted some
feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Energy Equalizers Inc.
Houston, Texas
www.EnergyEqualizers.com

Just as an experiment, I took a leftover baked potatoe and cut it into
slices and deep fried. BEst french fries I ever made. I guess its similar to
the double fry method only the first fry is actually baking. Next time, I'm
going to deliberately make extra baked potatoes and take them out before
they are completely done.

Old 13-09-2007, 05:51 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Personally, I prefer the double fry method for preparing french fries
from Russet potatoes.

howard be right mon. double fry.

and small batches to keep the oil temp up.

joe
petersburg (who wants you to throw in a couple of onion slices, also) alaska

Old 13-09-2007, 06:04 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Moe Jones wrote:

About putting them in the freezer, I read that after you remove most of the
starch after rising in the water, if you pop them in the freezer for a short
time that the fries cook more evenly.

I'd suggest trying the method I posted but I'd lose the
freezer part. I think you'll be at least closer to what
you're after.

--
Steve
Old 13-09-2007, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Moe Jones wrote:
Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make some
homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted some
feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

Moe, you used the right potatoes, IMHO. When I do them, I do small
batches at 375f until they start floating. Perhaps I could improve mine
by soaking and chilling them, but room temperature seems OK for my
taste. As Emeril says, always salt things right after removing it from
the frier. I also have a very uniform fry, since I use a fry slicer.

The slicer is similar to the 'dicer' seen on TV infomercials. I got
mine at Fry's, which is a mega store electronics chain that sells about
everything under the sun, including appliances, computers, televisions
and french fry cutters. grin It was about $12, as I recall, and came
with a large and small grid. Personally, I like the smaller grid- about
3/8", since we like our fries a bit crispy. All I do is wash a few
Russets when doing my chicken livers, gizzards or oysters, then almost
immediately pop a handful into a 375f fryer.

BTW, I've hand cut up leftover chilled baked potatoes, and as mentioned
elsewhere, they're very good. If you really want to surprise folks, get
a couple sweet potatoes and do them like french fries.

As for chilled potatoes, my Dad once had a small restaurant when I was a
kid. The cook would peel and boil Russet potatoes for hash browns or
fries. When they were ALMOST, but not quite, fork tender, she'd put
them in a kettle of ice water to stop the cooking, keep them white and
chill them to help keep them firm. I don't know if she put lemon in the
water or not, but I'd personally consider it to keep the potatoes white.
When an order would come in for hash browns, she would use a plain old
grater to grate up enough for a serving, right onto some oil on the
griddle. The oil would help spread the heat out and prevent sticking.
The hash browns were soft and white in the center, but crispy and brown
on the outside of the pattie. Likewise, there was a wall mounted fry
cutter (an SS, expensive version of the $12 one I bought at Fry's) that
she'd use to do a couple of the boiled potatoes for fries. I don't know
her frier temperature, but 375f is pretty standard. Again, the finished
product was soft in the center and crispy on the outside, since the
potatoes were chilled.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You donít stand any taller by
Old 14-09-2007, 02:38 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:26:07 -0500, "jmagerl"
wrote:

Just as an experiment, I took a leftover baked potatoe and cut it into
slices and deep fried. BEst french fries I ever made. I guess its similar
the double fry method only the first fry is actually baking. Next time,
I'm
going to deliberately make extra baked potatoes and take them out before
they are completely done.

I generally boil 'em 'til they're partway done, then cut up and FF
them. Works well for me.

-denny-

I've done that and I've also microwaved them, cut them into chunks and fried
them up. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil.

Old 15-09-2007, 12:46 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Moe Jones wrote:
Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make
some homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted
some feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

I tried something tonight and have to say they were the best french fries I
have ever made.

a.. In a medium bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water. Soak potatoes in
water mixture for 15 minutes. Remove from water, and dry thoroughly on paper
towels.
∑ First deep-fry 350 degrees F. for 2 minutes.

a.. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F. Add potatoes, and cook until
golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt to taste.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Old 16-09-2007, 11:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:38:25 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Just as an experiment, I took a leftover baked potatoe and cut it into
slices and deep fried. BEst french fries I ever made. I guess its similar
the double fry method only the first fry is actually baking. Next time,
I'm
going to deliberately make extra baked potatoes and take them out before
they are completely done.

I generally boil 'em 'til they're partway done, then cut up and FF
them. Works well for me.

-denny-

I've done that and I've also microwaved them, cut them into chunks and fried
them up. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil.

We try to stay away from deep frying, but get very satisfactory
results from roasting in the oven.

Harry
Old 26-09-2007, 12:32 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Moe Jones" wrote in news:46e94153$0$25471
:

Last night I put some chicken on the grill and figured I would make some
homemade French fries but they were not to my liking and wanted some
feedback on what I could have done different.

1. Used Russet potatoes.

2. Peel and cut up potatoes.

3. Soak and rinsed in water to remove the starch.

4. Pout them in the freezer.

5. Heated up the oil up to 400 degrees & cook them.

6. Put them on paper towel and salted them.

obviously you used the wrong smoke, I'd have gone with pecan.