FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best oil for French Fries? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/5233-best-oil-french-fries.html)

Default 15-03-2004 05:06 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 05:10 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

Default wrote:

> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
> aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
> good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

"Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil would be mineral
oil. It also does not get rancid, so you could filter and reuse it over
and over. HTH :-)

Bob

zxcvbob 15-03-2004 05:10 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

sf 15-03-2004 05:45 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> wrote:

> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
> aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
> good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
want something with a high smoke point and very little
flavor to impart.

sf 15-03-2004 05:45 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

Wayne Boatwright 15-03-2004 07:05 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Default wrote:
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
>> ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's
>> healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

> "Best" is kind of subjective, but the lowest calorie oil would be
> mineral oil. It also does not get rancid, so you could filter and
> reuse it over and over. HTH :-)
>
> Bob

Surely you're not serious. The OP would probably shit himself to death!

Wayne Boatwright 15-03-2004 07:05 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

Wayne Boatwright 15-03-2004 07:07 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

sf > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> > wrote:
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
>> ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea
>> what's healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

When I was a teen there was a small local restaurant that had the most
remarkable tasting French Fries. When asked how they made them, we learned
that they used peanut oil and changed the oil in their fryers daily.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright 15-03-2004 07:07 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

sf > wrote in
:

Tony P. 15-03-2004 07:16 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

In article >,
says...
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default
> > wrote:
>
> > What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
> > aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
> > good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

> You're frying, so peanut, canola or corn oil is good. You
> want something with a high smoke point and very little
> flavor to impart.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I wonder if you can still find beef tallow. That's what McD's used to
use, and why the fries tasted so damned good. Now you get cardboard
tasting fries. Ick!

Tony P. 15-03-2004 07:16 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

In article >,
says...

hahabogus 15-03-2004 11:07 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> Default > deliciously posted in
> :
>
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest
>> ones aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's
>> healthy OR good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

> I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or recycle the oil.
>
> Michael

I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made them more often I
used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their
friends) liked them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

hahabogus 15-03-2004 11:07 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

Goomba38 15-03-2004 11:56 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

hahabogus wrote:

> I make fries so infrequently these days...But when I made them more often I
> used a mix of canola and lard. The gourmet fries lovers (my kids and their
> friends) liked them better than McD's. But it's been a while.

Did you cut your own potatoes or use frozen ones?
Goomba

Goomba38 15-03-2004 11:56 AM

Best oil for French Fries?

Tim Challenger 15-03-2004 12:39 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:07:37 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

> Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore, where does
> all the beef fat go?

sausages.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Tim Challenger 15-03-2004 12:39 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:07:37 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

> Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore, where does
> all the beef fat go?

sausages.

Tim Challenger 15-03-2004 12:44 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default wrote:

> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
> aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
> good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

Lard is absolutely the best. But I think most of the taste depends on the
variety of potato used.

Tim Challenger 15-03-2004 12:44 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Arri London 15-03-2004 01:55 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default >
> wrote:
>
> >What's the best oil for French Fries?

> Beef fat.
>
> Now that the fast food industry doesn't use it anymore, where does
> all the beef fat go?
>
> -sw

Soap, sausages, animal feeds etc

Arri London 15-03-2004 01:55 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Scott 15-03-2004 02:50 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

In article > ,
Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or recycle the oil.

Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or third use?

please mail OT responses only

Scott 15-03-2004 02:50 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

In article > ,

Mark Thorson 15-03-2004 02:58 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Scott wrote:

> In article > ,
> Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
>
> > I use canola oil and it works well. I do not reuse or recycle the oil.

> Isn't it supposed to work better on the second or third use?

I remember it says that in _The_Professional_Chef_,
but I believe that was in reference to lard or beef fat
deep frying oils. A mono- or polyunsaturated vegetable
oil would be more likely to develop off flavors with use.

Mark Thorson 15-03-2004 02:58 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Peter Aitken 15-03-2004 03:34 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

"Default" > wrote in message
> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
> aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy

OR
> good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

I have read that rendered horse fat is considered the best in France (I am
not kidding!). Lacking that, there probably is no one "best" oil because it
depends on personal tastes. You can make terrific fries with peanut, canola,
or essentially any other vegeable oil. I bet rendered beef fat would be good
too.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken 15-03-2004 03:34 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Nancree 15-03-2004 03:40 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

do NOT use mineral oil for cooking ! it is a mineral oil from oil wells, and
not meant for food consumption. It is used as a strong laxative. Not used in
foodl

Nancree

Tim Challenger 15-03-2004 04:02 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:50 GMT, Peter Aitken wrote:

> I have read that rendered horse fat is considered the best in France (I am
> not kidding!).

Horsemeat can be really nice, I prefer it to beef, but can't get it very
often. I don't see why the fat shouldn't be just as good.

Tim Challenger 15-03-2004 04:02 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Jiminy 15-03-2004 04:07 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 05:06:53 GMT, Default > wrote:

>What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
>aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
>good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

90% peanut + 10% olive!

best,

Jiminy

Jiminy 15-03-2004 04:07 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Kevin & Amanda 15-03-2004 04:13 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Hello Everyone: There is a restaurant that we go to in the Northern
part of Rhode Island that has some AWESOME french fries. They do not
use frozen potatoes to make them. They come out browned just right
and they have a hint of a sweet taste to them. Not sure what is used
to make them but some of us think that it is peanut oil. They may
also make their chicken that way but I'm not certain about that.
This place does not have a menu. They only have two dinners to
choose from. We think that the chicken may be cooked in a pressure
cooker. Does anyone know how to get the french fries to have that
hint of a sweet taste to them? Thank You. Have a nice sunny day.
Amanda

yourname 15-03-2004 04:26 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Default > wrote in message >...
> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
> aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
> good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

Best tasting? Oil of pork, good old fashioned lard.

Cam

yourname 15-03-2004 04:26 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

PENMART01 15-03-2004 05:24 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

sumgai wrote:
>> What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
>> aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR

>> good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

>Best tasting? Oil of pork, good old fashioned lard.

Oil for fries shouldn't have any taste or it will cover up the potato flavor...
for fries I prefer sunflower oil.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 15-03-2004 05:24 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

Jim Rutkowski 15-03-2004 06:07 PM

Best oil for French Fries?

If you only plan on making a few servings use clarified butter, I make
them this way for the kids as a special treat. Not something you want
to eat on a regular basis.

>What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
>aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
>good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

Jim Rutkowski
Executive Chef - TrailerTrashAerospace
www.trailertrashaerospace.com