Sherry substitute in recipe?

Old 06-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Lululemon
Usenet poster

Default Sherry substitute in recipe?

Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.

What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do
you have a better Beef & Broccoli recipe? Sorry - too many questions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks, Melanie

BEEF AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry Sherry
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon (packed) chopped garlic
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 pound flank steak, cut diagonally across grain into thin strips

1 large head broccoli, cut into florets

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cooked white rice

Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add meat; toss to coat. Cover
and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

Blanch broccoli in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain.
Rinse under cold water; drain well.

Heat oil in heavy large wok or skillet over high heat. Drain meat
well, reserving marinade. Add cornstarch to reserved marinade and mix
until smooth; set aside. Add meat to wok and stir-fry until almost
cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and stir-fry until
crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade mixture and boil
until sauce thickens and coats meat and broccoli, stirring constantly,
about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over
rice.

Serves 4.

Bon Appétit
November 1995
Old 06-02-2004, 09:42 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Lululemon wrote:
Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
imagine buying any just for a recipe

(snip)
Thanks, Melanie

You can probably find a small bottle of sherry, doesn't have to be
expensive. Then if you find you like the beef & broccoli recipe you'll have
it handy to use again. Doesn't require refrigeration or special storage.
Go for it!

Jill

Old 06-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Jessica Vincent
Usenet poster

"Lululemon" wrote in message
om...
Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.

What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do
you have a better Beef & Broccoli recipe? Sorry - too many questions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks, Melanie

In a pinch I've substituted white wine, sake, or even chicken broth for
sherry...they work in a pinch but the flavor isn't quite right IMHO. So I
keep a bottle of cheap dry sherry just for cooking, it stores fine at room
temp and can be had for under $5 a bottle. If I liked sherry I might go for
a more expensive bottle but the el cheapo Taylor brand seems to work fine
for my Chinese stlye cooking needs.

If you really don't want to pick up a bottle of sherry, by all means
substitute some other variety of liquid for it, otherwise the sauce will be
too salty & too thick. The recipe is one that I've used with success on
several occasions.

Jessica

Old 06-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Kswck
Usenet poster

For the most part, sherry can be purchased in small bottles and can be used
in an awful lot of recipes, i.e. onion soup, gravy, etc.

Just buy a small bottle-you will use it.

om...

Old 06-02-2004, 11:46 PM
hahabogus
Usenet poster

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Lululemon wrote:
Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
imagine buying any just for a recipe

(snip)
Thanks, Melanie

You can probably find a small bottle of sherry, doesn't have to be
expensive. Then if you find you like the beef & broccoli recipe
you'll have it handy to use again. Doesn't require refrigeration or
special storage. Go for it!

Jill

Booze is taxed to the max in Canada. I buy 1 or 2 large bottles of Sherry a
year for cooking purposes. It takes a long time for sherry to go bad. And a
cheaper but nice tasting large bottle of sherry can cost as low as 8-10
bucks Canadian. Sherry works well in most soup, gravies and chinese dishes
by the way. I spend more on black peppercorns in a year than I spend on
sherry. Go mad and buy the sherry.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

Kswck wrote:

For the most part, sherry can be purchased in small bottles and can be used
in an awful lot of recipes, i.e. onion soup, gravy, etc.

Just buy a small bottle-you will use it.

Small bottles of sherry? I have never seen it in anything other than a 26 oz
bottle.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

hahabogus wrote:

Booze is taxed to the max in Canada. I buy 1 or 2 large bottles of Sherry a
year for cooking purposes. It takes a long time for sherry to go bad. And a
cheaper but nice tasting large bottle of sherry can cost as low as 8-10
bucks Canadian. Sherry works well in most soup, gravies and chinese dishes
by the way. I spend more on black peppercorns in a year than I spend on
sherry. Go mad and buy the sherry.

Too true, both the booze taxes here and the cost of peppercorns. Even so, I
suggest going for the good stuff. Decent sherry is not much more expensive than
the domestic sherry swill. I have never learned to appreciate sherry as a
drink, but my wife loves good dry sherry and we use quite a bit of it in
cooking.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:33 AM
David Hare-Scott
Usenet poster

"Lululemon" wrote in message
om...
[...]

In many Chinese recipes dry sherry is already a substitute for Chinese
Cooking Wine, also called shao shing (various spellings). I can buy this in
specialty supermarkets and it is not expensive, however YMMV. If you are
going to do much cooking of this style I would invest in a bottle as it
lasts a long time.

If you don't want to (or can't) buy shao shing or sherry then mirin would do
but take care as it is quite sweet whereas the others are not, the sugar
will alter the flavour balance of the dish. In a pinch a dry white wine
would give you something like it. In my opinion sake is probably closer to
shao shing in taste than sherry or mirin.

David

Old 07-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Kswck
Usenet poster

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

Kswck wrote:

For the most part, sherry can be purchased in small bottles and can be

used
in an awful lot of recipes, i.e. onion soup, gravy, etc.

Just buy a small bottle-you will use it.

Small bottles of sherry? I have never seen it in anything other than a 26

oz
bottle.

Ask at your local liquor store-not one of the big chains. Usually they have
it, or can tell you where to get it.
Even a 26 oz bottle of the cheap stuff isn't particularly expensive. My last
bottle of cheap sherry was $4.99, 26 oz bottle.

Old 07-02-2004, 06:12 PM
sf
Usenet poster

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:15:57 GMT, "Kswck"
wrote:

Ask at your local liquor store-not one of the big chains. Usually they have
it, or can tell you where to get it.
Even a 26 oz bottle of the cheap stuff isn't particularly expensive. My last
bottle of cheap sherry was $4.99, 26 oz bottle.

Additionally, it will last practically forever - so size
doesn't matter in this case.

;-)

Old 08-02-2004, 06:18 PM
WardNA
Usenet poster

Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap
from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

Actually, real sherry is widely imported, although many people may not know
that Harvey's Bristol Cream is genuine Spanish sherry from Jerez.

Ozark Seasoning, a review. Sheryl Rosen General Cooking 32 25-01-2004 11:13 PM
Bouillabaisse Castroniman General Cooking 11 15-01-2004 03:28 AM
newbie, altitude cooking alia Baking 6 28-12-2003 04:52 PM
rich, moist chocolate cake Elitsirk Baking 25 07-12-2003 12:49 AM