FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sherry substitute in recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/4441-sherry-substitute-recipe.html)

Lululemon 06-02-2004 10:29 PM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.

What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do
you have a better Beef & Broccoli recipe? Sorry - too many questions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks, Melanie

BEEF AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry Sherry
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon (packed) chopped garlic
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 pound flank steak, cut diagonally across grain into thin strips

1 large head broccoli, cut into florets

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cooked white rice

Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add meat; toss to coat. Cover
and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

Blanch broccoli in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain.
Rinse under cold water; drain well.

Heat oil in heavy large wok or skillet over high heat. Drain meat
well, reserving marinade. Add cornstarch to reserved marinade and mix
until smooth; set aside. Add meat to wok and stir-fry until almost
cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and stir-fry until
crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade mixture and boil
until sauce thickens and coats meat and broccoli, stirring constantly,
about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over
rice.

Serves 4.

Bon Appétit
November 1995

jmcquown 06-02-2004 10:42 PM

Lululemon wrote:
> Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
> imagine buying any just for a recipe

(snip)
> Thanks, Melanie

You can probably find a small bottle of sherry, doesn't have to be
expensive. Then if you find you like the beef & broccoli recipe you'll have
it handy to use again. Doesn't require refrigeration or special storage.
Go for it!

Jill

Jessica Vincent 06-02-2004 11:22 PM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

"Lululemon" > wrote in message
om...
> Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
> imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
>
> What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do
> you have a better Beef & Broccoli recipe? Sorry - too many questions.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
> Thanks, Melanie

In a pinch I've substituted white wine, sake, or even chicken broth for
sherry...they work in a pinch but the flavor isn't quite right IMHO. So I
keep a bottle of cheap dry sherry just for cooking, it stores fine at room
temp and can be had for under $5 a bottle. If I liked sherry I might go for
a more expensive bottle but the el cheapo Taylor brand seems to work fine
for my Chinese stlye cooking needs.

If you really don't want to pick up a bottle of sherry, by all means
substitute some other variety of liquid for it, otherwise the sauce will be
too salty & too thick. The recipe is one that I've used with success on
several occasions.

Jessica

Dan Abel 06-02-2004 11:27 PM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

In article >,
(Lululemon) wrote:

> Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
> imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
>
> What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do

But Sherry *is* a wine! Mirin would work perfectly though, as long as it
isn't too sweet. Any dry white wine would also work.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Hal Laurent 07-02-2004 12:08 AM

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Lululemon) wrote:
>
> > Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
> > imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
> >
> > What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do

> But Sherry *is* a wine! Mirin would work perfectly though, as long as it
> isn't too sweet. Any dry white wine would also work.

Sherry is a fortified wine. While any dry white wine might work (I don't
know the recipe in question), it certainly won't taste the same.

Sherry, like other fortified wines, has a really long shelf life. Keep a
bottle
in your cupboard for cooking purposes.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Kswck 07-02-2004 12:32 AM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

For the most part, sherry can be purchased in small bottles and can be used
in an awful lot of recipes, i.e. onion soup, gravy, etc.

Just buy a small bottle-you will use it.

om...

hahabogus 07-02-2004 12:46 AM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Lululemon wrote:
>> Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
>> imagine buying any just for a recipe

> (snip)
>> Thanks, Melanie
>>

> You can probably find a small bottle of sherry, doesn't have to be
> expensive. Then if you find you like the beef & broccoli recipe
> you'll have it handy to use again. Doesn't require refrigeration or
> special storage. Go for it!
>
> Jill

Booze is taxed to the max in Canada. I buy 1 or 2 large bottles of Sherry a
year for cooking purposes. It takes a long time for sherry to go bad. And a
cheaper but nice tasting large bottle of sherry can cost as low as 8-10
bucks Canadian. Sherry works well in most soup, gravies and chinese dishes
by the way. I spend more on black peppercorns in a year than I spend on
sherry. Go mad and buy the sherry.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Dave Smith 07-02-2004 12:49 AM

Kswck wrote:

> For the most part, sherry can be purchased in small bottles and can be used
> in an awful lot of recipes, i.e. onion soup, gravy, etc.
>
> Just buy a small bottle-you will use it.

Small bottles of sherry? I have never seen it in anything other than a 26 oz
bottle.

Dave Smith 07-02-2004 12:53 AM

hahabogus wrote:

> Booze is taxed to the max in Canada. I buy 1 or 2 large bottles of Sherry a
> year for cooking purposes. It takes a long time for sherry to go bad. And a
> cheaper but nice tasting large bottle of sherry can cost as low as 8-10
> bucks Canadian. Sherry works well in most soup, gravies and chinese dishes
> by the way. I spend more on black peppercorns in a year than I spend on
> sherry. Go mad and buy the sherry.

Too true, both the booze taxes here and the cost of peppercorns. Even so, I
suggest going for the good stuff. Decent sherry is not much more expensive than
the domestic sherry swill. I have never learned to appreciate sherry as a
drink, but my wife loves good dry sherry and we use quite a bit of it in
cooking.

David Hare-Scott 07-02-2004 01:33 AM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

"Lululemon" > wrote in message
om...
> Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
> imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
>
> What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do
> you have a better Beef & Broccoli recipe? Sorry - too many questions.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
> Thanks, Melanie
>
> BEEF AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY
>
> 1/4 cup soy sauce
> 1/4 cup dry Sherry
> 1 tablespoon honey
> 1 tablespoon (packed) chopped garlic
> 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
> 1 pound flank steak, cut diagonally across grain into thin strips
>
> 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
>
> 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> Cooked white rice
>
> Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add meat; toss to coat. Cover
> and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
>
> Blanch broccoli in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain.
> Rinse under cold water; drain well.
>
> Heat oil in heavy large wok or skillet over high heat. Drain meat
> well, reserving marinade. Add cornstarch to reserved marinade and mix
> until smooth; set aside. Add meat to wok and stir-fry until almost
> cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and stir-fry until
> crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade mixture and boil
> until sauce thickens and coats meat and broccoli, stirring constantly,
> about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over
> rice.
>
> Serves 4.
>

> Bon Appétit
> November 1995

In many Chinese recipes dry sherry is already a substitute for Chinese
Cooking Wine, also called shao shing (various spellings). I can buy this in
specialty supermarkets and it is not expensive, however YMMV. If you are
going to do much cooking of this style I would invest in a bottle as it
lasts a long time.

If you don't want to (or can't) buy shao shing or sherry then mirin would do
but take care as it is quite sweet whereas the others are not, the sugar
will alter the flavour balance of the dish. In a pinch a dry white wine
would give you something like it. In my opinion sake is probably closer to
shao shing in taste than sherry or mirin.

David

Kswck 07-02-2004 02:15 PM

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Kswck wrote:
>
> > For the most part, sherry can be purchased in small bottles and can be

used
> > in an awful lot of recipes, i.e. onion soup, gravy, etc.
> >
> > Just buy a small bottle-you will use it.

> Small bottles of sherry? I have never seen it in anything other than a 26

oz
> bottle.

Ask at your local liquor store-not one of the big chains. Usually they have
it, or can tell you where to get it.
Even a 26 oz bottle of the cheap stuff isn't particularly expensive. My last
bottle of cheap sherry was $4.99, 26 oz bottle.

sf 07-02-2004 07:12 PM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:15:57 GMT, "Kswck"
> wrote:

> Ask at your local liquor store-not one of the big chains. Usually they have
> it, or can tell you where to get it.
> Even a 26 oz bottle of the cheap stuff isn't particularly expensive. My last
> bottle of cheap sherry was $4.99, 26 oz bottle.

Additionally, it will last practically forever - so size
doesn't matter in this case.

;-)

blake murphy 08-02-2004 06:10 PM

(Lululemon) wrote:

>> Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
>> imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
>>
>> What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do

>But Sherry *is* a wine! Mirin would work perfectly though, as long as it
>isn't too sweet. Any dry white wine would also work.

i thought all mirin was sweetened? i would not use it as a
substitute, at least not one-to one. maybe a couple tbls in some
beer.

but yes, buy the sherry.

your pal,
blake

Richard Periut 08-02-2004 06:20 PM

(Lululemon) wrote:

>>>Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
>>>imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
>>>
>>>What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do

>>But Sherry *is* a wine! Mirin would work perfectly though, as long as it
>>isn't too sweet. Any dry white wine would also work.

> i thought all mirin was sweetened? i would not use it as a
> substitute, at least not one-to one. maybe a couple tbls in some
> beer.
>
> but yes, buy the sherry.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap
from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

One entry found for sherry.
Main Entry: sher·ry
Pronunciation: 'sher-E
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural sherries
Etymology: alteration of earlier sherris (taken as plural), from Xeres
(now Jerez), Spain
: a Spanish fortified wine with a distinctive nutty flavor; also : a
similar wine produced elsewhere

© 2004 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

See:
http://www.vivaspain.com.au/foodandw.../sherries.html

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

WardNA 08-02-2004 07:18 PM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

>Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
>probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap
>from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

Actually, real sherry is widely imported, although many people may not know
that Harvey's Bristol Cream is genuine Spanish sherry from Jerez.

Dave Smith 08-02-2004 07:24 PM

WardNA wrote:

> >Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
> >probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap
> >from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

> Actually, real sherry is widely imported, although many people may not know
> that Harvey's Bristol Cream is genuine Spanish sherry from Jerez.

It is the same here in Canada. Some of the local wineries have something they
pass off as sherry. Our local liquor stores have 4 or 5 domestic sherries,
but carry at least a dozen imported sherries. I have tried some of the better
sherries without ever acquiring a taste for it, but my wife loves the dry
stuff., especially Dry Sack.

Richard Periut 08-02-2004 08:10 PM

Dave Smith wrote:

> WardNA wrote:
>

>>>Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
>>>probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap

>>>from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

>>Actually, real sherry is widely imported, although many people may not know
>>that Harvey's Bristol Cream is genuine Spanish sherry from Jerez.

> It is the same here in Canada. Some of the local wineries have something they
> pass off as sherry. Our local liquor stores have 4 or 5 domestic sherries,
> but carry at least a dozen imported sherries. I have tried some of the better
> sherries without ever acquiring a taste for it, but my wife loves the dry
> stuff., especially Dry Sack.

Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

Best Sherry I've ever had was in Andalusia, Spain. It's actually an art
to pour it from a height, which aerates the liquid.

Traveling through Spain is like traveling through various tiny
countries; different dialects (I dare to say languages,) foods, drinks,
et cetera. Even people; you can appreciate the arab features in many
Spanish from the South (Andalusia.)

http://www.wineandfoodassociates.com/sherry2.html

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

Dave Smith 08-02-2004 08:25 PM

Richard Periut wrote:

> Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
> because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

I don't know about the finer nuances of Sherry. All I know is than when I drink it I
have a liquid in my mouth that is not wet. I just can't get used to that. I often
have a small sip of it when I pour a glass for my wife, but I just can't get into
it. I know that lots of people like the stuff, and they are welcome to drink it.
But for me, it is good only for cooking.

Richard Periut 08-02-2004 09:20 PM

Dave Smith wrote:

> Richard Periut wrote:
>

>>Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
>>because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

> I don't know about the finer nuances of Sherry. All I know is than when I drink it I
> have a liquid in my mouth that is not wet. I just can't get used to that. I often
> have a small sip of it when I pour a glass for my wife, but I just can't get into
> it. I know that lots of people like the stuff, and they are welcome to drink it.
> But for me, it is good only for cooking.

More for us : )

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

WardNA 08-02-2004 10:17 PM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

>Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
>because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

First time I've heard that one. The whole point to developing fortified wines
in the first place was to stabilize them so they could survive the trauma of
export.

Neil

Richard Periut 09-02-2004 12:12 AM

WardNA wrote:

>>Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
>>because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

> First time I've heard that one. The whole point to developing fortified wines
> in the first place was to stabilize them so they could survive the trauma of
> export.
>
> Neil

Read:

Fino begins to deteriorate after about three months in bottle and once
the bottle is opened the contents should be either drunk within three
days or poured into a tightly corked half bottle. Many of the complaints
about popular finos arise from the habit of keeping half empty bottles
for weeks on the shelves of a warm bar.

Much the same applies to thel ighter styles of amontiallado although
they deterioriate more slowly.

Which can be found he

http://www.vivaspain.com.au/foodandw.../sherries.html

Under Serving Sherry.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

sf 09-02-2004 12:19 AM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:20:59 GMT, Richard Periut
> wrote:

> Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
> probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap
> from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

That "disgusting California crap" is just fine for cooking.
Save the imported stuff for genteel sipping.

sf 09-02-2004 12:21 AM

On 08 Feb 2004 21:17:41 GMT, (WardNA) wrote:

> >Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
> >because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

> First time I've heard that one. The whole point to developing fortified wines
> in the first place was to stabilize them so they could survive the trauma of
> export.

He's a sherry snob.

Richard Periut 09-02-2004 01:08 AM

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:20:59 GMT, Richard Periut
> > wrote:
>

>> Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
>> probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap
>> from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.
>>

> That "disgusting California crap" is just fine for cooking.
> Save the imported stuff for genteel sipping.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I follow a simple rule: I only use wine or sherry in cooking, that's fit
to drink otherwise. Don't ruin a good meal with that cheap stuff.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

sf 09-02-2004 06:38 AM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:08:11 GMT, Richard Periut
> wrote:

> sf wrote:

> I follow a simple rule: I only use wine or sherry in cooking, that's fit
> to drink otherwise. Don't ruin a good meal with that cheap stuff.

and "fit to drink" is in the eye of the beholder in this
case. You drink the imported stuff and turn your nose up at
anything else.

Katra 09-02-2004 07:32 AM

sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:08:11 GMT, Richard Periut
> > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:

> > I follow a simple rule: I only use wine or sherry in cooking, that's fit
> > to drink otherwise. Don't ruin a good meal with that cheap stuff.
> >

> and "fit to drink" is in the eye of the beholder in this
> case. You drink the imported stuff and turn your nose up at
> anything else.

Fit to drink is in the eye of the beerholder.
Get it right! <grins> Just like beauty.....

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Richard Periut 10-02-2004 12:46 AM

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:08:11 GMT, Richard Periut
> > wrote:
>

>> sf wrote:

>> I follow a simple rule: I only use wine or sherry in cooking, that's fit
>> to drink otherwise. Don't ruin a good meal with that cheap stuff.
>>

> and "fit to drink" is in the eye of the beholder in this
> case. You drink the imported stuff and turn your nose up at
> anything else.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Because anything else is craparata. There is such a thing as a general
consensus.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

sf 10-02-2004 06:04 AM

Sherry substitute in recipe?

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 23:46:40 GMT, Richard Periut
> wrote:

> Because anything else is craparata.

..... anything other than what??

blake murphy 10-02-2004 10:39 PM

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:21:32 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On 08 Feb 2004 21:17:41 GMT, (WardNA) wrote:
>
>> >Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
>> >because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

>> First time I've heard that one. The whole point to developing fortified wines
>> in the first place was to stabilize them so they could survive the trauma of
>> export.
>>

>He's a sherry snob.
>

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

o.k., so you're using sherry. two tbsp or a quarter cup, unless the
stuff tastes like gasoline, you're not going to ruin your dish.

your pal,
blake