Richard Periut

Default Sherry substitute in recipe?

Dave Smith wrote:

> WardNA wrote:
>

>>>Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
>>>probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap

>>>from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

>>Actually, real sherry is widely imported, although many people may not know
>>that Harvey's Bristol Cream is genuine Spanish sherry from Jerez.

> It is the same here in Canada. Some of the local wineries have something they
> pass off as sherry. Our local liquor stores have 4 or 5 domestic sherries,
> but carry at least a dozen imported sherries. I have tried some of the better
> sherries without ever acquiring a taste for it, but my wife loves the dry
> stuff., especially Dry Sack.

Sherry imported from Spain usually has lost most of its fine nuances
because of prolonged storage, et cetera.

Best Sherry I've ever had was in Andalusia, Spain. It's actually an art
to pour it from a height, which aerates the liquid.

Traveling through Spain is like traveling through various tiny
countries; different dialects (I dare to say languages,) foods, drinks,
et cetera. Even people; you can appreciate the arab features in many
Spanish from the South (Andalusia.)

http://www.wineandfoodassociates.com/sherry2.html

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.