Lululemon

Default Sherry substitute in recipe?

Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.

What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do
you have a better Beef & Broccoli recipe? Sorry - too many questions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks, Melanie

BEEF AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry Sherry
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon (packed) chopped garlic
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 pound flank steak, cut diagonally across grain into thin strips

1 large head broccoli, cut into florets

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Cooked white rice

Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add meat; toss to coat. Cover
and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

Blanch broccoli in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain.
Rinse under cold water; drain well.

Heat oil in heavy large wok or skillet over high heat. Drain meat
well, reserving marinade. Add cornstarch to reserved marinade and mix
until smooth; set aside. Add meat to wok and stir-fry until almost
cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and stir-fry until
crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade mixture and boil
until sauce thickens and coats meat and broccoli, stirring constantly,
about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over
rice.

Serves 4.

Bon Appétit
November 1995