Jessica Vincent

Default Sherry substitute in recipe?

"Lululemon" > wrote in message
om...
> Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
> imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
>
> What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do
> you have a better Beef & Broccoli recipe? Sorry - too many questions.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
> Thanks, Melanie

In a pinch I've substituted white wine, sake, or even chicken broth for
sherry...they work in a pinch but the flavor isn't quite right IMHO. So I
keep a bottle of cheap dry sherry just for cooking, it stores fine at room
temp and can be had for under $5 a bottle. If I liked sherry I might go for
a more expensive bottle but the el cheapo Taylor brand seems to work fine
for my Chinese stlye cooking needs.

If you really don't want to pick up a bottle of sherry, by all means
substitute some other variety of liquid for it, otherwise the sauce will be
too salty & too thick. The recipe is one that I've used with success on
several occasions.

Jessica