Richard Periut

Default Sherry substitute in recipe?

(Lululemon) wrote:

>>>Here's a recipe I found on Epicurous...I don't have Sherry and can't
>>>imagine buying any just for a recipe - we're a wine and beer house.
>>>
>>>What can I substitue for Sherry? Can I skip it? Will Mirin work? Do

>>But Sherry *is* a wine! Mirin would work perfectly though, as long as it
>>isn't too sweet. Any dry white wine would also work.

> i thought all mirin was sweetened? i would not use it as a
> substitute, at least not one-to one. maybe a couple tbls in some
> beer.
>
> but yes, buy the sherry.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Sherry is a type of wine (fortified,) and most people in the USA
probably never tasted the real McCoy, except for that disgusting crap
from California which resembles real Sherry like apples and oranges.

One entry found for sherry.
Main Entry: sher·ry
Pronunciation: 'sher-E
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural sherries
Etymology: alteration of earlier sherris (taken as plural), from Xeres
(now Jerez), Spain
: a Spanish fortified wine with a distinctive nutty flavor; also : a
similar wine produced elsewhere

© 2004 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

See:
http://www.vivaspain.com.au/foodandw.../sherries.html

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.