Rimsey Mimblerod

Default Bran muffin recipe substitute question

I'm currently looking for a yogurt bran muffin recipe (i have a few,
but i'm always soliciting more) and I had a question for the folks out
there. Can olive oil be used as a substitute for vegetable oil? I
realize it may effect the flavour of the muffin, but i'd rather be
consuming olive oil than corn or canola oil. olive oil has a slightly
different profile, and I wasn't sure if it would have a negative
effect.
thanks for any help.
Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Rimsey Mimblerod" > wrote in message
> I'm currently looking for a yogurt bran muffin recipe (i have a few,
> but i'm always soliciting more) and I had a question for the folks out
> there. Can olive oil be used as a substitute for vegetable oil? I
> realize it may effect the flavour of the muffin, but i'd rather be
> consuming olive oil than corn or canola oil. olive oil has a slightly
> different profile, and I wasn't sure if it would have a negative
> effect.
> thanks for any help.

You can use olive oil. If you use extra light, you won't notice an olive
flavor. Don't use extra virgin -- the strong flavor would probably be
pretty nasty in muffins (unless, perhaps, they're supposed to be savory
muffins).

But what's wrong with canola oil? I thought that was one of the oils of
choice these days.

Rimsey Mimblerod

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:56:15 GMT, "Chris and Bob Neidecker"
> wrote:

>"Rimsey Mimblerod" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm currently looking for a yogurt bran muffin recipe (i have a few,
>> but i'm always soliciting more) and I had a question for the folks out
>> there. Can olive oil be used as a substitute for vegetable oil? I
>> realize it may effect the flavour of the muffin, but i'd rather be
>> consuming olive oil than corn or canola oil. olive oil has a slightly
>> different profile, and I wasn't sure if it would have a negative
>> effect.
>> thanks for any help.

>You can use olive oil. If you use extra light, you won't notice an olive
>flavor. Don't use extra virgin -- the strong flavor would probably be
>pretty nasty in muffins (unless, perhaps, they're supposed to be savory
>muffins).
>
>But what's wrong with canola oil? I thought that was one of the oils of
>choice these days.

It's not that there is anything wrong with canola oil, but just that I
prefer the fatty acid profile of olive oil over other oils.
thanks for the response, though.

Rimsey Mimblerod > wrote:
> I'm currently looking for a yogurt bran muffin recipe (i have a few,
> but i'm always soliciting more) and I had a question for the folks out
> there. Can olive oil be used as a substitute for vegetable oil? I
> realize it may effect the flavour of the muffin, but i'd rather be
> consuming olive oil than corn or canola oil. olive oil has a slightly
> different profile, and I wasn't sure if it would have a negative
> effect.

Try olive oil the next time you make up a batch of bran muffins
and decide for yourself if you like the way the resulting muffins
taste. Only you will know how you like the flavor of the muffins.