Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 PM
aloninna

I had a chance to try an Earl Grey + jasmine blossoms. As you would
expect it's a very pleasantly highly aromatic blend. The sweet
fragrance of jasmine is a nice contrast to the spicy-bitter fragrance
of bergamot. As far as the taste goes, the jasmine is hardly noticed
under the strong bergamot + black tea taste.

I've never tried a straight black tea + jasmine combination, but would
assume it the jasmine would kinda get lost. Anyone ever tried it?

Old 13-07-2005, 04:31 AM
Rob

aloninna wrote:

I've never tried a straight black tea + jasmine combination, but would
assume it the jasmine would kinda get lost. Anyone ever tried it?

Someone once gave me a "Afternoon Tea" blend by Whittard of Chelsea,
which was a black tea scented with jasmine. I did not like it at all;
the jasmine was very overpowering.

Old 15-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Dieter Folz

"Pat" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...

Dieter Folz wrote:

So, for a good Earl Grey
(like Teekanne) you have to pay about 4 Euros per 100gr (also minimum
for a good Assam, min. 10 Euros / 100gr. for a decent Darjeeling
(easily up to 30 Euros per 100gr!) etc.). That is one reason why I tend
to use more and more e.g. PG Tips for my daily tea shot.

4 euros for 100 grams is a reasonable price.

That's where it starts for Assam (at least at the moment, because of
the Dollar-Euro ratio).

That is about what
Twinings and Jacksons cost, so I guess that puts them in the same
quality range as Teekanne.

Oh no. Twinings is far too overpaid. Btw therefore Twinings failed the
last tea expert ratings for the German consumer report.

10-30 euros is getting a bit steep. I am
not overly fond of Darjeeling, so that is rarely an issue for me. I
hate Twinings Darjeeling.

I would doubt if it really is Darjeeling!
As far as it goes and as I mentioned it, if you want the good stuff you
have to pay for it! And esp. the good ones of the real Darjeeling
(those with the certificate) are not cheap. But also the taste has
nothing in common with the Twinings "Darjeeling".

Jacksons is better, but give me a good
strong cup of English Breakfast over the finest Darjeeling any day.

PG Tips is a very good "every day" tea. That is what I have been
mostly drinking lately.

That's the point. For that money it's definetely the best you can get.

Modern teas like the Brits use have a good to unbeatable price per
value ratio in the low and medium price segment. If it's getting
expensive e.g. because you have to pay for a fancy label, you better
should change to decent orthodox teas.

Most of the teas sold in Britain are what I consider decent, especially
if you want something strong that doesn't cost a fortune. PG Tips and
Typhoo are both very good. Tetley I'm not as crazy about.

I drink a lot of tea, so I don't buy much of the most expensive stuff.
Mostly I drink PG Tips, Typhoo or Red Rose. I drink Twinings English
Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings, when I have more time to
savor it.

Well, at least meanwhile (or at the moment) here in Germany, you get
for the price of Twinings Breakfast a very good and decent Assam (at
that price these Assams you can drink the English way with some milk),
which is *far* more better than the Twinings stuff!!! I can recomment
the Assams teas (and also the Darjeelings, of course!) of
Betty-Darling.de (besides the blends which are in my opinion crap). I
don't know if they deliver outside Germany but it is definetely worth a
try!

I usually have a cup of Earl Grey in the afternoons, and out
of all the Earl Greys I've tried, Twinings is by far the best. I am
not sure if Twinings is what you would consider a fancy label. It's a
good few notches about the standard supermarket fare and reasonably
priced, IMO. There are other brands like Lipton, which do Earl Grey
blends that are more expensive and are undrinkable, IMO.

OK, but Lipton isn't tea, is it ;-) ?

Dieter

Old 16-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Pat

Dieter Folz wrote:
"Pat" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...

Dieter Folz wrote:

Oh no. Twinings is far too overpaid.

A matter of opinion, I suppose. I like it. It is within my budget and
I know what to expect when I purchase it.

10-30 euros is getting a bit steep. I am
not overly fond of Darjeeling, so that is rarely an issue for me. I
hate Twinings Darjeeling.

I would doubt if it really is Darjeeling!

It is Darjeeling. Perhaps not 100% Darjeeling, and undoubtedly not
first or second flush Darjeeling, but there is enough Darjeeling in the
blend to be legally labelled as such. I do not care for it, but I am
not a Darjeeling sort of person, anyway.

Well, at least meanwhile (or at the moment) here in Germany, you get
for the price of Twinings Breakfast a very good and decent Assam (at
that price these Assams you can drink the English way with some milk),
which is *far* more better than the Twinings stuff!!! I can recomment
the Assams teas (and also the Darjeelings, of course!) of
Betty-Darling.de (besides the blends which are in my opinion crap). I
don't know if they deliver outside Germany but it is definetely worth a
try!

Do you happen to know if they have an English language website?

There are other brands like Lipton, which do Earl Grey
blends that are more expensive and are undrinkable, IMO.

OK, but Lipton isn't tea, is it ;-) ?

Of course it is. Not good tea, but tea nonetheless. They actually
have a decent English Breakfast blend. It was on sale at my local
supermarket; actually it was marked down because they are discontinuing
it. I bought some just to sample, and it was not bad at all.
Infinitely superior to their regular blend. It is not easy to find,
and I would not bother to seek it out again, as it is actually more
expensive than Twinings, and I like Twinings English Breakfast better.
But Lipton ought to package this stuff as their regular blend.

Pat

Best Earl Grey? Bob Cleeman Tea 9 08-10-2006 05:23 PM
Earl Grey Joshua Tea Tea 12 27-01-2006 12:33 AM
Earl Grey Blair P. Houghton Tea 17 19-01-2006 03:23 PM
Earl Grey Blair P. Houghton Tea 48 16-01-2006 05:39 AM
Earl Grey/Lady Grey Ripon Tea 7 26-02-2004 05:23 AM