Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Joshua Tea

Default Earl Grey

I've seen the statistic again and again about Earl Grey being one of
the most popular flavored tea blends in the world, and I've tried to
give it a go (really I have) and it's just a little much for me. I
could see if being appealing if there was just a touch of bergamot, but
the blends I have come across seem to be drowned in the stuff. Does
anyone have any recommendations for a subtle but interesting Earl Grey?

thx!

Linda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T.

Joshua Tea wrote:
> I've seen the statistic again and again about Earl Grey being one of
> the most popular flavored tea blends in the world, and I've tried to
> give it a go (really I have) and it's just a little much for me. I
> could see if being appealing if there was just a touch of bergamot, but
> the blends I have come across seem to be drowned in the stuff. Does
> anyone have any recommendations for a subtle but interesting Earl Grey?

What brands/types have you tried? I hooked my mother on Earl Grey tea
and I am always buying her different types to try out when I come
accross them. A lot of the teabag Earl Grey's are artificially flavored
or have lemon flavoring which is not so hot. I generally buy her a
decent mid-grade quality loose Earl Grey from a local coffee shop. I
don't think they have it branded, but I'll check for you. (It's called
"Fortune's" in the strip district in Pittsburgh, PA) I've found Earl
greys with Ceylon tea, Oolong Tea, Green Tea, white tea, and Black tea.
The green tea and white tea was terrible, the others were all decent.
Adagio has a tea called "Earl Grey Bravo" which looks very good and is
very reasonably priced, I am planning on buying this next for my
mother.

- Dominic
Drinking: Still working on my Shirakiku Sen-Cha

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Joshua Tea

Gosh - really, I have tried a lot of different brands. I guess I am
looking for something that is mildly fragrant, as opposed to
jerking-my-head-back-because-the-scent-is-so-strong kinda tea.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Jeremy

If you like Earl Grey, but the fragrance is overwhelming, then you may
want to give keemun tea a shot. It is the base black tea for most
Breakfast teas (Irish, English); it is very smooth and accepts milk and
sugar if that is your thing. Twinings offers a good bagged keemun tea,
so it is readily available. I use www.goodfortunetea.com to find out
about teas that I have not tried, but there many resources online.
Sites that sell tea seem to only say wonderful things about the tea
they sell, so I try to avoid them.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Marlene Wood

Adagio's Earl Grey Bravo is too strong for the likes of me, I ususally end
up cutting it with an equal amount of keemun or ceylon.
Revolution Tea has a lavender earl grey that I like very much. Just a hint
of lavender, and just a hint of bergomot. I can actually get this tea in my
supermarket, so I am drinking it constantly.
Marlene

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Marlene Wood

I forgot to mention, Revolution's offerings in the grocery store are almost
whole leaf (they've been crushed a little) and in a nylon, not paper bag.
Very nice.
Marlene

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Piculet

Try Jacksons Earl Grey. The bergamot is VERY subtle in this blend. It
is available as loose leaf tea and as tea bags. Jacksons has become
more difficult to find in recent years, at least in my neck of the
woods, but you can purchase it online at www.britishimports.com. I
have purchased my tea from this website for many years. They are very
efficient and reliable and I have not found any prices to beat theirs.

Jacksons claims that their Earl Grey formula is the original one,
although this is disputed by Twinings.

I know what you mean about the bergamot being overpowering in many
blends. It's why I won't drink any Earl Grey that isn't made by a
British company. I was visiting one site the other day and they were
proudly promoting that their Earl Grey was blended for American tastes.
I immediately lost interest in trying it right after reading that.

Good luck.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
ostaz

"Piculet" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Try Jacksons Earl Grey. The bergamot is VERY subtle in this blend. It
> is available as loose leaf tea and as tea bags. Jacksons has become
> more difficult to find in recent years, at least in my neck of the
> woods, but you can purchase it online at www.britishimports.com. I
> have purchased my tea from this website for many years. They are very
> efficient and reliable and I have not found any prices to beat theirs.
>
> Jacksons claims that their Earl Grey formula is the original one,
> although this is disputed by Twinings.
>
> I know what you mean about the bergamot being overpowering in many
> blends. It's why I won't drink any Earl Grey that isn't made by a
> British company. I was visiting one site the other day and they were
> proudly promoting that their Earl Grey was blended for American tastes.
> I immediately lost interest in trying it right after reading that.
>
> Good luck.

Persian tea has a lot of either bergamot or cardamon in it...depending on
the type. It is very fragrant, but I REALLY like it. I love that aroma
wafting out of the bag of leaves or when it is brewed. It is also drunk
with no milk and traditionally with pastries, hard rock sugar with bergamot
oil, or at least a hard Belgian sugar cube in one's mouth!

Pete

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
acw

ostaz wrote:
> "Piculet" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Try Jacksons Earl Grey. The bergamot is VERY subtle in this blend. It
>>is available as loose leaf tea and as tea bags.
>>
>>I know what you mean about the bergamot being overpowering in many
>>blends. It's why I won't drink any Earl Grey that isn't made by a
>>British company.

> Persian tea has a lot of either bergamot or cardamon in it..

At Christmas time I was given a 90g tin of 'Original Hotel
Sacher Tee', "a composition of choice Darjeeling teas, a hint of
Earl Grey, and jasmine blossoms". This has only a little Bergamot -
much milder than Jacksons. Anyone know of a bulk supplier of
something similar, in the US or Canada ? (The Hotel Sacher is in Vienna,
Austria)

Anne

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

acw > wrote:

>At Christmas time I was given a 90g tin of 'Original Hotel
>Sacher Tee', "a composition of choice Darjeeling teas, a hint of
>Earl Grey, and jasmine blossoms". This has only a little Bergamot -
>much milder than Jacksons. Anyone know of a bulk supplier of
>something similar, in the US or Canada ? (The Hotel Sacher is in Vienna,
>Austria)

Upton's has a Sacher blend. This is a fairly traditional European
style. Theirs has a lot of vanilla in it, though, which doesn't
quite sound like the stuff you've got.

You could also, of course, try to blend your own.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Try Simplicitea's earl grey lavender or earl grey rose. The
lavender/rose takes the harshness away from the oil of bergamot. I
like their white tea varieties as well.
www.simplicitea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Robert L. Altic Jr.

Have drunk Twinnings and like it, but have really come to like
Harney's Earl Grey Supreme. Might give it a try. They will send a
sample for about $2 if I remember correctly. Best to the group...Bob

Best Earl Grey? Bob Cleeman Tea 9 08-10-2006 05:23 PM
Earl Grey Blair P. Houghton Tea 17 19-01-2006 03:23 PM
Earl Grey Blair P. Houghton Tea 48 16-01-2006 05:39 AM
Earl Grey Pat Tea 19 16-07-2005 02:48 AM
Earl Grey/Lady Grey Ripon Tea 7 26-02-2004 05:23 AM