Dieter Folz

"Pat" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...

> Dieter Folz wrote:
>
> So, for a good Earl Grey
>> (like Teekanne) you have to pay about 4 Euros per 100gr (also minimum
>> for a good Assam, min. 10 Euros / 100gr. for a decent Darjeeling
>> (easily up to 30 Euros per 100gr!) etc.). That is one reason why I tend
>> to use more and more e.g. PG Tips for my daily tea shot.

> 4 euros for 100 grams is a reasonable price.

That's where it starts for Assam (at least at the moment, because of
the Dollar-Euro ratio).

> That is about what
> Twinings and Jacksons cost, so I guess that puts them in the same
> quality range as Teekanne.

Oh no. Twinings is far too overpaid. Btw therefore Twinings failed the
last tea expert ratings for the German consumer report.

> 10-30 euros is getting a bit steep. I am
> not overly fond of Darjeeling, so that is rarely an issue for me. I
> hate Twinings Darjeeling.

I would doubt if it really is Darjeeling!
As far as it goes and as I mentioned it, if you want the good stuff you
have to pay for it! And esp. the good ones of the real Darjeeling
(those with the certificate) are not cheap. But also the taste has
nothing in common with the Twinings "Darjeeling".

> Jacksons is better, but give me a good
> strong cup of English Breakfast over the finest Darjeeling any day.
>
> PG Tips is a very good "every day" tea. That is what I have been
> mostly drinking lately.

That's the point. For that money it's definetely the best you can get.

>> Modern teas like the Brits use have a good to unbeatable price per
>> value ratio in the low and medium price segment. If it's getting
>> expensive e.g. because you have to pay for a fancy label, you better
>> should change to decent orthodox teas.

> Most of the teas sold in Britain are what I consider decent, especially
> if you want something strong that doesn't cost a fortune. PG Tips and
> Typhoo are both very good. Tetley I'm not as crazy about.
>
> I drink a lot of tea, so I don't buy much of the most expensive stuff.
> Mostly I drink PG Tips, Typhoo or Red Rose. I drink Twinings English
> Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings, when I have more time to
> savor it.

Well, at least meanwhile (or at the moment) here in Germany, you get
for the price of Twinings Breakfast a very good and decent Assam (at
that price these Assams you can drink the English way with some milk),
which is *far* more better than the Twinings stuff!!! I can recomment
the Assams teas (and also the Darjeelings, of course!) of
Betty-Darling.de (besides the blends which are in my opinion crap). I
don't know if they deliver outside Germany but it is definetely worth a
try!

> I usually have a cup of Earl Grey in the afternoons, and out
> of all the Earl Greys I've tried, Twinings is by far the best. I am
> not sure if Twinings is what you would consider a fancy label. It's a
> good few notches about the standard supermarket fare and reasonably
> priced, IMO. There are other brands like Lipton, which do Earl Grey
> blends that are more expensive and are undrinkable, IMO.

OK, but Lipton isn't tea, is it ;-) ?

Dieter