Pat

Dieter Folz wrote:

> Twinings Earl Grey use definitly NOT the original recipe, because at
> Earl Grey's time tea was not harvested by machines. Also there was real
> bergamotte oil and not just flavouring which is used by Twinings
> (German declaration law is *very* strict on that, so based on the label
> with the declaration of ingredients (Zutaten) they definitely use no
> real bergamotte oil!).

I'll take your word for it regarding the bergamot oil, but what do
machines have to do with the recipe? I wasn't referring to how the tea
is manufactured, just the recipe itself.

> The only brand I know which uses a traditional blend of Chinese black
> O.P. leaf teas and real (Italian) bergamotte oil is a traditional
> German brand (Teekanne). Maybe this is the closest match to the
> original Earl Grey recipe.

Teekanne owns Redco Foods, the licensee of Red Rose and Salada teas in
the US. The only other Teekanne products I've ever seen here are their
Pompadour herbal infusions. Any idea where I can buy some of their
Earl Grey to sample? Is it available online?

And, BTW, the bergamot orange is native to Vietnam, not Italy, based on
what I have read.

Pat