Pat

Dieter Folz wrote:

So, for a good Earl Grey
> (like Teekanne) you have to pay about 4 Euros per 100gr (also minimum
> for a good Assam, min. 10 Euros / 100gr. for a decent Darjeeling
> (easily up to 30 Euros per 100gr!) etc.). That is one reason why I tend
> to use more and more e.g. PG Tips for my daily tea shot.

4 euros for 100 grams is a reasonable price. That is about what
Twinings and Jacksons cost, so I guess that puts them in the same
quality range as Teekanne. 10-30 euros is getting a bit steep. I am
not overly fond of Darjeeling, so that is rarely an issue for me. I
hate Twinings Darjeeling. Jacksons is better, but give me a good
strong cup of English Breakfast over the finest Darjeeling any day.

PG Tips is a very good "every day" tea. That is what I have been
mostly drinking lately.

> Modern teas like the Brits use have a good to unbeatable price per
> value ratio in the low and medium price segment. If it's getting
> expensive e.g. because you have to pay for a fancy label, you better
> should change to decent orthodox teas.

Most of the teas sold in Britain are what I consider decent, especially
if you want something strong that doesn't cost a fortune. PG Tips and
Typhoo are both very good. Tetley I'm not as crazy about.

I drink a lot of tea, so I don't buy much of the most expensive stuff.
Mostly I drink PG Tips, Typhoo or Red Rose. I drink Twinings English
Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings, when I have more time to
savor it. I usually have a cup of Earl Grey in the afternoons, and out
of all the Earl Greys I've tried, Twinings is by far the best. I am
not sure if Twinings is what you would consider a fancy label. It's a
good few notches about the standard supermarket fare and reasonably
priced, IMO. There are other brands like Lipton, which do Earl Grey
blends that are more expensive and are undrinkable, IMO.

Twinings, Jacksons and Taylors of Harrogate are about as high in
price/quality as I typically go. I enjoy them, and the more expensive
orthodox teas I've tried were not enough of an improvement to justify
the substantially higher price.

Pat