Kathi Jones

Default pectin haze?

Ok, so I've been filtering and filtering my crabapple juice (frozen from
last year) trying to get it clear before making it in to jelly. Then it
dawned on me that maybe this is pectin haze, that I learned about in my
dabble in fruit wine making. So I know I can get rid of it when I make
wine, but does anyone think that I can ever get this juice clear-er for
jelly? I'm not entering any fairs or anything, but it would be so beautiful
if I could make a clear pink jelly out of this.

Oh, and since it is so high in pectin, can someone remind me - what is the
ratio of juice and sugar for making crabapple jelly without added pectin?

thanks a bunch,

Kathi

The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> Ok, so I've been filtering and filtering my crabapple juice (frozen from
> last year) trying to get it clear before making it in to jelly. Then it
> dawned on me that maybe this is pectin haze, that I learned about in my
> dabble in fruit wine making. So I know I can get rid of it when I make
> wine, but does anyone think that I can ever get this juice clear-er for
> jelly? I'm not entering any fairs or anything, but it would be so beautiful
> if I could make a clear pink jelly out of this.
>
> Oh, and since it is so high in pectin, can someone remind me - what is the
> ratio of juice and sugar for making crabapple jelly without added pectin?
>
> thanks a bunch,
>
> Kathi

Can't answer all of it, but one year I made jelly from pomegranates where the
juice was not absoluters clear and when I boiled it up with the sugar, it
cleared itself. Obviously all grown up poms!
Edrena

Kathi Jones

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>
> > Ok, so I've been filtering and filtering my crabapple juice (frozen from
> > last year) trying to get it clear before making it in to jelly. Then it
> > dawned on me that maybe this is pectin haze, that I learned about in my
> > dabble in fruit wine making. So I know I can get rid of it when I make
> > wine, but does anyone think that I can ever get this juice clear-er for
> > jelly? I'm not entering any fairs or anything, but it would be so

beautiful
> > if I could make a clear pink jelly out of this.
> >
> > Oh, and since it is so high in pectin, can someone remind me - what is

the
> > ratio of juice and sugar for making crabapple jelly without added

pectin?

> > thanks a bunch,
> >
> > Kathi

> Can't answer all of it, but one year I made jelly from pomegranates where

the
> juice was not absoluters clear and when I boiled it up with the sugar, it
> cleared itself. Obviously all grown up poms!
> Edrena

I think that might happen, but I'm not totally convinced. I made some of
this juice in to jelly last year, using an added pectin crabapple jelly
recipe. It turned out so-so - not clear and kinda rubbery, but still
edible. So I'm gonna try something completly different this year.

Thanks though,

Kathi

ps - wish I could try pomegranate jelly - here, I think I can buy them for
like, $2.50 each, or something silly like that......

William R. Watt

Don't add pectin to crabapple jelly.
Put in 10% more sugar than you have juice by volume.
The juice turns clear when the sugar is added.
Have more jars on hand than there is crabapple juice.
I get 50% more jelly than juice (it swells up when the sugar is added).

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> > Kathi Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, so I've been filtering and filtering my crabapple juice (frozen from
> > > last year) trying to get it clear before making it in to jelly. Then it
> > > dawned on me that maybe this is pectin haze, that I learned about in my
> > > dabble in fruit wine making. So I know I can get rid of it when I make
> > > wine, but does anyone think that I can ever get this juice clear-er for
> > > jelly? I'm not entering any fairs or anything, but it would be so

> beautiful
> > > if I could make a clear pink jelly out of this.
> > >
> > > Oh, and since it is so high in pectin, can someone remind me - what is

> the
> > > ratio of juice and sugar for making crabapple jelly without added

> pectin?
> > >
> > > thanks a bunch,
> > >
> > > Kathi

> > Can't answer all of it, but one year I made jelly from pomegranates where

> the
> > juice was not absoluters clear and when I boiled it up with the sugar, it
> > cleared itself. Obviously all grown up poms!
> > Edrena

> I think that might happen, but I'm not totally convinced. I made some of
> this juice in to jelly last year, using an added pectin crabapple jelly
> recipe. It turned out so-so - not clear and kinda rubbery, but still
> edible. So I'm gonna try something completly different this year.
> Thanks though, Kathi
> ps - wish I could try pomegranate jelly - here, I think I can buy them for
> like, $2.50 each, or something silly like that......

Poof, I send you a virtual grocery bag full. Neighbor has some trushes (half
tree, half bush). The red variety have stunning flowers.
Edrena

Kathi Jones

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:

from

Then it

my

make

for

> > beautiful

is
> > the

> > pectin?

> > > Can't answer all of it, but one year I made jelly from pomegranates

where
> > the
> > > juice was not absoluters clear and when I boiled it up with the sugar,

it
> > > cleared itself. Obviously all grown up poms!
> > > Edrena

> > I think that might happen, but I'm not totally convinced. I made some

of
> > this juice in to jelly last year, using an added pectin crabapple jelly
> > recipe. It turned out so-so - not clear and kinda rubbery, but still
> > edible. So I'm gonna try something completly different this year.
> > Thanks though, Kathi
> > ps - wish I could try pomegranate jelly - here, I think I can buy them

for
> > like, $2.50 each, or something silly like that......

> Poof, I send you a virtual grocery bag full. Neighbor has some trushes

(half
> tree, half bush). The red variety have stunning flowers.
> Edrena

Thanks Edrena! I'll make virtual jelly!!

Kathi ;-)

Haze C. U. Jimmy Winemaking 10 27-11-2008 01:46 AM
Cold haze? pp Winemaking 24 30-03-2005 01:01 AM
Bentonite Haze [email protected] Winemaking 27 11-03-2005 08:25 PM
Peach haze John Lauerhahs Winemaking 2 11-03-2005 04:33 PM
Pectin Haze in Apple Wine glad heart Winemaking 1 10-02-2004 07:12 PM