glad heart

Default Pectin Haze in Apple Wine

I've had a lot of trouble with this one right from the get-go so I
imagine it'll end up being a wine like none other. My current
vexation is a pectin haze. I let gravity pull it to the bottom
quarter of a 6l carboy over a few months. A couple weeks ago I
carefully racked it into 5l carboy leaving most of the haze behind and
fined with gelatin/kieselsol. Most of the carboy is appears crystal
clear but the lower 1/5 has the same pectin haze. By contrast, the
same procedure in my apricot wine has produced a clear wine with a
very compact sediment. Did I not use enough pectinase to begin with?
I followed the recipe. Any idea what to do now?

Thanks,

Jim
Ray

Sounds like it is still settling. Give it another few weeks or a month and
it will probably drop on down.

Ray

"glad heart" > wrote in message
om...
> I've had a lot of trouble with this one right from the get-go so I
> imagine it'll end up being a wine like none other. My current
> vexation is a pectin haze. I let gravity pull it to the bottom
> quarter of a 6l carboy over a few months. A couple weeks ago I
> carefully racked it into 5l carboy leaving most of the haze behind and
> fined with gelatin/kieselsol. Most of the carboy is appears crystal
> clear but the lower 1/5 has the same pectin haze. By contrast, the
> same procedure in my apricot wine has produced a clear wine with a
> very compact sediment. Did I not use enough pectinase to begin with?
> I followed the recipe. Any idea what to do now?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

a persistent white wine haze Lee[_11_] Winemaking 5 06-12-2013 07:38 AM
Haze Identification in Plum Wine jim Winemaking 6 12-01-2007 11:52 AM
pectin haze? Kathi Jones Preserving 5 19-07-2005 01:46 PM
chill haze in white wine steve Winemaking 10 25-09-2004 01:31 AM
Apple Juice To Sweeten Apple Wine genekay Winemaking 5 18-11-2003 08:34 PM