Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Haze

Hi all,
I made a demijohn of apple wine a while ago and it has a haze. Whats the
best way to remove it?

thanks.
McKev

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The "best" way would have been adding pectic enzyme before fermentation. Try
it now, it may still work or just give it time. The last cider I made
dropped sediment for over a year.
Steve
"C. U. Jimmy" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I made a demijohn of apple wine a while ago and it has a haze. Whats the
> best way to remove it?
>
> thanks.
> McKev

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Steve Peek" > wrote in message
m...
> The "best" way would have been adding pectic enzyme before fermentation.
> Try it now, it may still work or just give it time. The last cider I made
> dropped sediment for over a year.
> Steve
> "C. U. Jimmy" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I made a demijohn of apple wine a while ago and it has a haze. Whats the
>> best way to remove it?

Cheers Steve, I've just read that in wines where you have boil (or near
boil) the fruit then you have to add Pectic enzyme. I omitted this when I
boiled the apples.....sigh.

Thanks.
McKev

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The other thing to try is bentonite, which gets rid of a protein haze.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Why on earth would you boil apples ???

I regularly do all kinds of experiments which
are documented on my web-log and in september I did
a thorough research on juicing apples:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/0...apple-day.html

Boiling apples gave the worst result, second worst is using a steam juicer.

If you do not have fancy equipment freeze the apples and then
work them over with pectic enzymes. It will give you about 70%
juice.

The solution for your problem is already given, try pectic
enzymes first and when that does not work use bentonite.

Luc

--
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"C. U. Jimmy" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I made a demijohn of apple wine a while ago and it has a haze. Whats the
> best way to remove it?

What's "a while ago"?
Time is your friend.
If it's only been a month or two, let it go for a while.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Bob Becker" > wrote in message

> "C. U. Jimmy" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I made a demijohn of apple wine a while ago and it has a haze. Whats the
>> best way to remove it?

> What's "a while ago"?
> Time is your friend.
> If it's only been a month or two, let it go for a while.

I added the pectic enzyme about 7 hours ago and I've filtered it - it wasn't
easy but its done...and it tastes very good :-)

While ago - about 8 or 9 weeks ago.

McKev

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Luc Volders" > wrote in message
> Why on earth would you boil apples ???

Because thats what the recipe says.

> I regularly do all kinds of experiments which
> are documented on my web-log and in september I did
> a thorough research on juicing apples:
>
> http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/0...apple-day.html
>
> Boiling apples gave the worst result, second worst is using a steam
> juicer.
>
> If you do not have fancy equipment freeze the apples and then
> work them over with pectic enzymes. It will give you about 70%
> juice.
>
> The solution for your problem is already given, try pectic
> enzymes first and when that does not work use bentonite.

We all make mistakes. This is the first time that Ive omitted anything.

McKev

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I've boiled apples. Came out great. Remember to add enzymes and yeast
after it cools . It assures you have a strile must before
fermentation.

Bob

On Nov 20, 10:28*am, "C. U. Jimmy" > wrote:
> "Luc Volders" > wrote in message

> > Why on earth would you boil apples ???

> Because thats what the recipe says.
>

> > I regularly do all kinds of experiments which
> > are documented on my web-log and in september I did
> > a thorough research on juicing apples:

> >http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/0...dorst-apple-da...

> > Boiling apples gave the worst result, second worst is using a steam
> > juicer.

> > If you do not have fancy equipment freeze the apples and then
> > work them over with pectic enzymes. It will give you about 70%
> > juice.

> > The solution for your problem is already given, try pectic
> > enzymes first and when that does not work use bentonite.

> We all make mistakes. This is the first time that Ive omitted anything.
>
> McKev

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Drink it!!

;-)

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site

Kevin Cherkauer

"C. U. Jimmy" > wrote:
> I made a demijohn of apple wine a while ago and it has a haze. Whats the
> best way to remove it?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:26:39 -0000, "C. U. Jimmy" > wrote:

>I added the pectic enzyme about 7 hours ago and I've filtered it - it wasn't
>easy but its done...and it tastes very good :-)
>
>While ago - about 8 or 9 weeks ago.

How many times have you racked it?

I rack my wines after the initial fermentation is done, maybe at 2 to
4 weeks, then 1 month later, then again after another month. I then
rack into a bottling bucket and bottle (you can optionally rack once
more and wait another month if you still have a small amount of haze).
My wines are cloudy the first month or so, clearing gradually. I shoot
for 3 to 4 months form start to finish. I also don't filter my wines,
but you can do that if you wish. You can buy a relatively cheap filter
that uses gravity feed, or buy or rent a power filter. You can also
make your own using a water filter enclosure with a low-micron filter
in it, or even a cascade of filters, one for large particles (a
sediment filter) and one a fine filter. You would need a way to push
the wine through it. I used one of these for beer once and used CO2
under a few pounds of pressure to push the beer from one corny keg,
through the filter, into another corny keg. It was inexpensive to
make. I got the filter housing at Tractor Supply Co. for around $10 a
couple of years ago, and I added a few fittings to mate with the
braided beer line.

You probably don't want to pressurize your fermenter in any way,
though, but you would conceivably do this with gravity feed through
such a filter. Just expect it to go slowly. If you have a food grade
pump that can draw a small vacuum, you could "pull" the wine through
the filter and tubing.

Just some thoughts on filtering.

You can try other fining agents (other than bentonite) like Polyclar,
isinglass, Kieselsol (silica), gelatin, egg whites, and Sparkolloid.

http://www.brewerylane.com/finings.html

Don

pectin haze? Kathi Jones Preserving 5 19-07-2005 01:46 PM
Cold haze? pp Winemaking 24 30-03-2005 01:01 AM
Cold haze? pp Winemaking 0 24-03-2005 11:14 PM
Bentonite Haze [email protected] Winemaking 27 11-03-2005 07:25 PM
Peach haze John Lauerhahs Winemaking 2 11-03-2005 03:33 PM