Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Apples again

The Red Rome apples are on sale again. This time $1 for a 3 pound
bag. The best I had done before was $5 for 2 bags. I bought 7 bags
and will start making more applesauce.

About 1/2 the jelly I made earlier did not set. I made it without
added pectin. Guess I will dump it into a pot and boil it some more.
Now to start on the apples.

Got interrupted and didn't send this. I just cut and cored 2 bags and
they do not have much red in the flesh. Well, I'll just make regular
applesauce and maybe some applebutter.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

That is a great deal on apples. I think the best I've done is some
granny smiths last year that were 99¢ for a 3-pound bag. I think I
only got 2 bags though as that is around the time that I got the H1N1
flu and was in bed for a week. I did finally make apple butter--
turned out delish. I think I still have some juice in the freezer.

Last Friday, I was shopping with a friend and we got 5-pound bags of
red, sweet grapefruits for $1.75 a bag. I might make some marmalade
if work isn't too crazy this week.

Anything that doesn't set at my house is re-purposed as pancake/waffle/
frozen yogurt syrup.

Life is too short to re-cook...

: - ]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:49:00 -0600, Dave Balderstone
> wrote:

>In article >, The Cook
> wrote:
>
>> The Red Rome apples are on sale again. This time $1 for a 3 pound
>> bag. The best I had done before was $5 for 2 bags. I bought 7 bags
>> and will start making more applesauce.

>I've never seen Red Rome here in Canada. Where are they grown?
>
>The Ambrosias are on sale here right now, but they's an eatin' apple.
>And damned good, too.

The Law Strain Red Romes that I get are grown in Asheville, NC or in
the Brushy Mountains around Wilkesboro, NC. I don't think that that
is an exhaustive list of sources. Did you see the pictures of the
apples I posted earlier?

http://tinypic.com/r/z8sw0/6

http://tinypic.com/r/10fdjrd/6

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
news:240120101649008104%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
> In article >, The Cook
> > wrote:
>
>> The Red Rome apples are on sale again. This time $1 for a 3 pound
>> bag. The best I had done before was $5 for 2 bags. I bought 7 bags
>> and will start making more applesauce.

> I've never seen Red Rome here in Canada. Where are they grown?
>
> The Ambrosias are on sale here right now, but they's an eatin' apple.
> And damned good, too.

I second that!!!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:49:00 -0600, Dave Balderstone
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >, The Cook
> wrote:
>>
>>> The Red Rome apples are on sale again. This time $1 for a 3 pound
>>> bag. The best I had done before was $5 for 2 bags. I bought 7 bags
>>> and will start making more applesauce.

>>I've never seen Red Rome here in Canada. Where are they grown?
>>
>>The Ambrosias are on sale here right now, but they's an eatin' apple.
>>And damned good, too.

> The Law Strain Red Romes that I get are grown in Asheville, NC or in
> the Brushy Mountains around Wilkesboro, NC. I don't think that that
> is an exhaustive list of sources. Did you see the pictures of the
> apples I posted earlier?

those were pretty apples, and no, I've never seen anything like them here in
Canada.......

Kathi

> http://tinypic.com/r/z8sw0/6
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/10fdjrd/6
>
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
> news:240120101649008104%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
>> In article >, The Cook
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The Red Rome apples are on sale again. This time $1 for a 3 pound
>>> bag. The best I had done before was $5 for 2 bags. I bought 7 bags
>>> and will start making more applesauce.

>> I've never seen Red Rome here in Canada. Where are they grown?
>>
>> The Ambrosias are on sale here right now, but they's an eatin' apple.
>> And damned good, too.

> I second that!!!

When I was a kid, my grandpa would come to visit us from Eastern Washington
in the fall (I grew up in Seattle) and he would always bring us a box or two
of Rome Beauties. My parents would put the box out in the shed in the back
yard with an old quilt wrapped around the apples. They'd keep all winter
that way. Such good apples. Everyone thinks of red delicious apples when
they think of Washington State apples, but I've always found them to be
rather bland and mealy. Romes have a nice bite. Plus, the ones my grandpa
would bring were from an orchard where he knew the owner and the apples were
not waxed like the ones in the supermarket.

Now, though, I hardly ever see Romes in the stores. So many other varieties
on the market now, the Fujis and Galas, etc.

I'm going to keep my eye out this year in case the co-op gets any. Right
now, the co-op is offering ground beef, 7% fat, for $2.30 a pound. I think
that beats Costco. Sold in 5-lb increments.

--
-Marilyn

apples Somebody General Cooking 15 25-09-2012 09:50 PM
bad apples RichD General Cooking 0 21-04-2012 12:18 AM
Apples The Cook General Cooking 7 25-10-2006 06:11 PM
Red apples, rosy apples... Isaac Wingfield General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 07:24 AM
Apples, apples, oh and apples.....and pears Nexis General Cooking 15 23-09-2004 05:00 PM